Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: Scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there a specific order the scenarios should be played in? Also, in what order would you put the scenarios in from most fun to least fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jup.
Basic box: Scenario 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Expansion box after base game box: Scenario 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Bonus scenarios in no particular order.

Fun is highly subjective, so I won't suggest anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it's good to start with scenario nr.1 (Castaways). After that there is no particular order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ha, I suppose saying do them in numerical order is quite obvious really when I think about it! I suppose my question is do these go up in difficulty and complexity each time, or are they all pretty much the same complexity and difficulty after the first scenario so do them in any order I like?

I also understand that fun is relative, but maybe if a few people could put their favourite and least favourite scenario it might give me an idea of which are generally considered the best. Reason I ask is I'm getting some pieces made but can prob only afford to buy them for one so would like them to be for the one I'm likely to play more than the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scenarios varies in difficulty and it's not going up with scenario number. Scenario number 1 is not the easiest one (but uses less mechanics than other scenarios, f.e. doesn't use "book icon" events) and scenario nr 6 is not the hardest one. The hardest one is for sure Cannibal Island which is 5th one.
As for the fun, some time ago there was a poll on the forum for this topic. You can check the results here -> https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1357514/big-best-official-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with 1 for learning the basics, 2 for introducing the concepts that 1 left out, then go from there however you like. 3 and 4 are medium difficulty, 5 and 6 are tougher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pretty much what I was looking for, thanks. Surprised so many think Scenario 1 is the best, not sure if it's a good sign that the game peaks at the beginning?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say 1 is the most fun, just that it's what you should play first to get the hang of the mechanics. In terms of fun, I'd rank them
6 (most fun), 4, 5, 1, 3 (lame theme), 2 (most boring)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
Pretty much what I was looking for, thanks. Surprised so many think Scenario 1 is the best, not sure if it's a good sign that the game peaks at the beginning?!

Probably the reason for it is that people rank what they played (usually). Almost everybody played scenario nr 1 and most people didn't played all scenarios. Besides Castaways is really good. Not my number 1 but probably top 3-4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1 is a good way to learn the game, as it has a classical theme, lets you get accustomed with the weather and other problems, and helps you learn on what to focus during gameplay (i.e. the essentials).

However, scenario #2 is the easiest scenario, by far. Now, that will not seem to be the case, as long as you do not grok how to tackle it. But once you know what you have to do, scenario #2 is the one that cannot hamper your way to victory too much. If you know what you are doing, this scenario will be won easily most often, and you will fail beating it very very rarely...

The opposite is true for #5. Even if you know how to beat this one, it will still kick the living daylights out of you and your posse, and 9 times out of 10 you will not make it.

I rank scenario #6 as being not too hard, but others disagree on that. I guess it depends on the number of characters you play the game with. With 4, it is middle ground I'd say. It is fun as long as you don't have to discard an essential item. Once that happens, it's getting near impossible to get it done.

Scenario #4 is probably my favourite in the base game. Fairly tricky, and 60% failure rate, I'd say. The plan is pretty much straight-forward, but many things can happen here, and that is part of the fun.

I like scenario #1 for what it is - the most iconic scenario. It's great to introduce others to the game. Other than that, I have not returned to it after beating it...

Scenario #3 - now, this scenario hates me. Try as I might, I haven't managed to beat it yet. Once, the first time I played it, but I got several rules wrong. And that does not count, in my book.
It probably isn't that hard - at least that is what others say. Still, this is where the game has given me the finger time and time again.

King Kong is easy in standard mode, harder in the mentioned variant mode. It's fun to play once, but so far that was enough for me.

The Naturalist I haven't played yet, to be honest. And my interest in it is pretty low, since the expansion tackles the same subject.

The expansion, now, that one is fun - as a campaign. I love the interlocking scenarios, the different challenges they pose, and all in all I would probably play that one (in total) any time I put RC on the table, were it not for the time you need to get through all five scenarios.

And Livingstone? Man, I love that one. It's a mixed bag, and can go to hell in a handbasket as quickly as you say Stanley, but the difference in story each time is something that is really, really cool, as it basically is a different scenario each time, and you never quite know what to expect in the end.

Treasure Island I haven't played yet, but a mechanical aspect put me off this one. A minor thing, but still it irks me.
And the Poacher one is too new to even have looked at it properly, so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alek2 wrote:
and scenario nr 6 is not the hardest one.

I strongly disagree on this one. But again, it's based on my game experience that is mostly solo. Scenario 6 is (should I say) almost impossible solo if you do not have a decent luck on island tile draw and Inventions draw. It took me IIRC 11 tries to win it solo !

But then I think you will have different opinions based on the number of players people played their game (and of course the luck they had playing it). The difficulty scale of some scenarios is really dependent of the number of players.

I didnt have much difficulty and failure as the others for scenario 5 (still played solo), as the strategy I used prooved its worth several times.

I agree with Dumon about Scenario 4, this is 1 of my favourite as well, though a bit hard solo (I only won it once on about 7-8 tries).

I cant understand why so much people dont like scenario 3, because I found its theme and scenario pretty decent, but we all have our own liking and tastes so...

Just try each one of them, have fun, and let us know your favourite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.