Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most interesting and unique things about this game is how many different ways there are to play it. You can play it solo or all the way up to four players. You can play any kind of deck you feel like building. And there are even multiple difficulty levels to tweak the experience even more.
This makes for an incredibly varied experience from one player to the next.

It also means that some cards are going to be more interesting to certain types of players. For example, if you only ever play solo then ranged and sentinel won't be very exciting to you. Or if you just don't like hobbits then it doesn't matter how great Fast Hitch is. To you it's a dead card. Or maybe let's say you really only like Boromir so cards that don't play in a Boromir way don't seem very good to you. Could be anything.

So what are your card biases? How do you play the game and then what types of cards does that make you love and which cards do you just ignore?

For me I play mostly solo one-handed or two. Standard mode. Never three or four player. So in that sense I suspect I'm probably in the range where most players are going to be and as a result I don't have too many negative biases. There are some cards that are clearly going to be much better in a four player game (though none come to mind at the moment) that I will likely never play. Oh, location control cards are probably a good example. I think they are really cool, like Evening Star, but I usually don't need them.

I also pretty much like all the racial and class types so I don't really have any, say "I don't like Dwarf card" biases.

But what I do have is a Beorn bias. Hero Beorn is my favorite card in the game. He's just such a beast (literally). His attack is so awesome and his defensive ability adds so much comfort and security to the beginning of a game. So any time cards come out that actually manage to avoid his downside of no player card effects and interact with him I get really excited. The Honour Guard for one is a card I love specifically because of Beorn. And I'm really excited for the new side quest Keeping Watch (I think that's the name) which reduces all enemy attack values by 1. Anything that makes Beorn even more awesome automatically gets upgraded in my mind.

What are your biases? What cards just don't interest you and why? Conversely, which types of cards always seem to work for your play style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai T
msg tools
mbmbmb
I play primarily solo, and usually one-handed. I have a real hard time getting jazzed about combat-focused cards, to the point where I struggle with more combat-heavy quests (though I'm trying to work on that!). They just don't trip my trigger for some reason.

My preference is for more subtle effects, usually Lore and Spirit related, or global buffs through Leadership (I almost always have a Gondor deck built with Leadership Boromir).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eowyn. That willpower of 4, which can also be easily boosted, is just amazing and she has been in every deck I build. To be fair, that isn't saying much as I am still in the first cycle but that doesn't take away from how awesome she is.

One day, I will deliberately build a deck that doesn't rely on her questing ability. One day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently working on what I call the singing rangers deck, Lots of Dunedain cards like mark, warning, cache, quest, add in songs for Wisdom(2), Spirit(2), Leadership (1 or 2), Tactics(1 or 2) etc. A list coming forth as soon as I get down how to play it. (only doing about 30% card play timing right so only winning about 30% want to get it to 50%). I only have through Dwarrowdelf set of APs.
Heroes are Aragorn (Lore) Elrohir(Leadership) and Elladan (tactics) as they feed off each other (+2 to attack or defense depending). and can ready after defending or attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One-handed solo. I've always liked Rohan and had a soft-spot for Dwarves.

Gondor, I dislike.

Elves, I dislike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
I'm with you on Beorn! Swatting goblins left and right.
I also love the new Eowyn, she always has a spot in my heart and in my deck.
Dwarves though.... no thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmb
I have attachment bias. Nearly every one of the decks I build ends up swollen with attachments and I always end up going back to swap some out for allies.

But man, is it sweet to get Elrohir fully blinged out, or get citadel plate + Narvi + Self-Preservation on Gloin. Mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
I rocked leadership Aragorn pretty much forever, until I made a hobbit deck laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willpower/Questing grabbed me from the day this game was first announced. I could not imagine ever not using Spirit Eowyn, until I saw Tactics Eowyn and now I'm suddenly thinking about using her.

Arwen is also a card I can't seem to ignore, as well as Glorfindel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.