Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for success stories applying a clear coat to blank dice that have labels stuck to them, to protect the labels during plays.

I've read through all the other post in this forum on this topic (including one I made in 2012) and have dug up this data, and have these experiences:

- Clear nail polish seems to work well, but may be a bit streaky

- I've used Modge Podge on many game pieces in the past and for me it leaves too much sticky residue on the item to use ModgePodge again. Also, when the coated items contact each other for a prolonged period, or when exposed to heat/sunlight, the items stick to each other and need to be slightly pried apart.

- I've also used Vallejo clear coat to coat minis and it is also leaving a stickiness on the mini.

- Spray coating is difficult for me due to the extremely high humidity in our non-snow months. I can use a friends indoor spray area if needed, and it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

EDIT: grammars & clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are dice that have recessed faces, so that you can attach a label without the label ever coming into contact with a table. The example I know of is the original Battle Cry game:

indentedblankdice.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are nearly identical to the dice I have, but I still want to coat the dice in a protective coat, for extra special protection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I do is cover the label in transparent adesive tape.then you cut the eccess, the label and glue it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
What I do is cover the label in transparent adesive tape.then you cut the eccess, the label and glue it.

Do you tape both sides of the label? If so, maybe that protects the label from the glue seeping into the paper label?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A thin layer of Elmer's white glue. Painted on with a small craft paintbrush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop's purity seal spray lacquer works a treat if you can get around the weather (maybe do it in the wee small hours?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:

Do you tape both sides of the label? If so, maybe that protects the label from the glue seeping into the paper label?

No, after that gluing is difficult.i never had any discoloration due to white glue.

Here, my tokens for Shadow Throne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.