Popular Tags: [View All]
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At WashingCon 2 this past weekend (September 10 & 11, 2016), this was one of the free games attendees could choose to take home.

The package contained 9 dice (3 of each distribution), cards (hero, female hero, monster, maiden, "epic fail" x3) and a rules sheet.

I understand what every component does *except* the Maiden Card, which is the same artwork as an "Epic Fail" without the words "Epic Fail".

What is its purpose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for female players to use as a place to store their maidens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cobame wrote:
It's for female players to use as a place to store their maidens.

That's what the female hero with the battle axe is for.

Which is not the card I'm asking about.

Monster: Clear
Male Hero: Clear
Female Hero: Clear
x3 Epic Fail: Clear

1 card left over: Unarmored, unarmed Maiden without "Epic Fail" written on it (same art as the Epic Fail, just no text).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred MacKenzie
United States
Florence
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Actually, the Maiden card was included for the 3-player variant. Unfortunately the 3-player variant rules were not included in the published rules. But I can explain them here (I thought I had submitted a file for variant rules).

Each player chooses a character to play.

Let's say the Hero goes first. The Hero is trying to collect all the maidens of the kingdom before they are captured by the monster.

Roll all dice. Place all maidens on the Hero's card then compare the remaining monsters and heroes. As in the regular game, more monsters take maidens from the Hero. Any maidens taken from the Hero go to the Monster player's card. If more heroes were rolled then it is a safe roll. Continue as usual until you are either forced to stop (per the rule book) or choose to stop.

The Hero scores a point for each maiden on his card and the Monster scores a point for each maiden on its card.

On the Monster's turn it is attempting to capture all of the kingdom's heroes (probably to bash their heads in later). All rolled heroes are placed on the Monster card. Compare remaining monster and maiden dice. If more maidens then the monster is distracted and heroes escape the Monster card and are placed on the Maiden card. Continue rolling until you are either forced to stop (per the rules, adjusted for which dice you are trying to roll) or you choose to stop.

The Monster scores a point for each hero on its card and the Maiden scores a point for each hero on her card.

On the Maidens turn, she is trying to lure all of the kingdom's monsters to herself (maidens always seem to be attracted to monsters). Place all rolled monsters on the Maiden card. Compare remaining maiden and hero dice. If more heroes then remove monsters from the maiden and place on the Hero card. Our brave hero obviously believes the poor maiden needs to be saved from her own good intentions. Continue rolling until either forced to stop (per the rules, adjusted for which dice you are trying to roll) or you choose to stop.

The Maiden scores a point for each monster on her card and the Hero scores a point for each monster on his card.

So two players (can) score points on each player's turn. You can play to any preset score you like or any number of complete rounds.

It's a silly little variant that showcases each character's personality.

The Monster wants to bash Heroes but is distracted by Maidens.
The Hero wants to rescue Maidens but has to fight off Monsters.
The Maiden has a soft heart for Monsters but is saved from herself by the Hero.

So have fun with it. It can be hard to wrap your head around it if you've played by the standard rules a bunch of times. But it's my favorite way to play.

Likewise, you can turn these rules into any of three possible 2-player rules. You can play Monster vs Hero, Monster vs Maiden or Hero vs Maiden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.