Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cannot Speak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game we've played of this so far, I've been the one controlling the app, inputting the results, reading out the flavour text, the only time I really pass the iPad to someone else is if they need to solve a puzzle.

Which is fine 99% of the time - apart from when I go insane.

Twice now, I've had the "You cannot speak" card. At that point I have one of two options - either I suddenly go quiet, hand the iPad to someone else and they are either i.) confused if they don't know that's a possible outcome, or ii.) instantly aware of what insanity card I have.
Alternatively, I just ignore it.

Neither of these feel right.

Is there anything official to distinguish between me the human and me the investigator (which would allow me to read stuff of the app, but prevent my character from speaking, discussing strategy etc)? or are we just stuck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Sinnabell
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
hmmm.....

I own the game and during solo play testing i wondering about this card, if they really mean its not allowed for you to talk with your friends on the table as char, or only its not allowed for your character to talk with NPC's in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you doing this insanity out of character instead of in character like you do the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass off the ipad. Actually, pass off the ipad even if you don't get the don't speak one. Yes it does mean you're not supposed to speak to your group.

What I mean by pass it off anyway is that if you get a traitor insanity condition, this is a really easy one to fall back on. It will probably only work with the same group once, but you'll pull off the win a little easier because of it. The insanity condition does its job so well, and it's sad more people don't appreciate it. It creates doubt within the group. People are supposed to treat you like a criminal after you become insane. It happened in our group twice, and it instantly made the game so much more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
impish1234 wrote:
hmmm.....

I own the game and during solo play testing i wondering about this card, if they really mean its not allowed for you to talk with your friends on the table as char, or only its not allowed for your character to talk with NPC's in the game.

I'm 99.99% sure that it means you, the player, cannot speak at the table.

From playing the game quite a lot and having plenty of instances where players become insane, it feels like this condition is more of a bluffing McGuffin than anything. If you become a traitor or have an alternate win condition, you just be silent and pretend you have this card to throw the other players off.

As to the OP, the best solution is to just pass the iPad off to someone else. If they're confused by it, that's probably a good thing; I believe a lot of the insanity conditions are meant to incite confusion amongst your party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do when three turns later, you get the iPad back?
Assuming that everyone has had a chance to hold it.
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely the player who must be silent. If it was the character, it would say: "You cannot interact with any person."

I appreciate it for its bluffing mechanic too. It's very easy to pretend to have received this card so the group doesn't realise you're actually a traitor now.

To make this fair, I made a list of all the Insane conditions and I bring it out when teaching about Insanity and then again whenever anyone is about to go Insane. That way, everyone knows what possibilities there are and what they might need to watch out for (such as to be wary of any Insane Investigator asking to borrow your Knife).

This list allows you to bluff that you have pretty much any of the innocuous abilities, and you can't be tripped up by somebody who has more memory of the cards than you. It would be horrible for other players with more knowledge to ask you the name of the condition that you are pretending to have and you not being able to respond. The list solves this nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Twice now, I've had the "You cannot speak" card. At that point I have one of two options - either I suddenly go quiet, hand the iPad to someone else and they are either i.) confused if they don't know that's a possible outcome, or ii.) instantly aware of what insanity card I have.
Alternatively, I just ignore it.

We haven't had that insanity yet for any player, but I've been thinking about how to handle that if I get it since I usually handle the app. We don't usually read aloud what's in the app, as everyone can see it.

I've come to conclusion that if I get that insanity, I won't say anything 'inside' the game (what to do, and so on), but can speak 'outside' the game (for example, 'brb, need to go to bathroom', 'fix me a drink').

For what it's worth, we haven't even checked what all the insanity conditions are (we've seen few and I've seen a couple more, but not all). Last time we discussed about this, whether we should know the conditions. As in the last game one of the three insane (of four players) had that 'have blade' condition, so how to know how to deal with insane players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Sinnabell
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clipper wrote:
It's definitely the player who must be silent. If it was the character, it would say: "You cannot interact with any person."

I appreciate it for its bluffing mechanic too. It's very easy to pretend to have received this card so the group doesn't realise you're actually a traitor now.

To make this fair, I made a list of all the Insane conditions and I bring it out when teaching about Insanity and then again whenever anyone is about to go Insane. That way, everyone knows what possibilities there are and what they might need to watch out for (such as to be wary of any Insane Investigator asking to borrow your Knife).

This list allows you to bluff that you have pretty much any of the innocuous abilities, and you can't be tripped up by somebody who has more memory of the cards than you. It would be horrible for other players with more knowledge to ask you the name of the condition that you are pretending to have and you not being able to respond. The list solves this nicely.

It makes no sense if i cant talk as char to my friends (investigators), but can interact (talk) with npc's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
impish1234 wrote:
Clipper wrote:

It makes no sense if i cant talk as char to my friends (investigators), but can interact (talk) with npc's.

This is the way I see it as well. Maybe my gaming group just isn't as "role playey" as others. I never would have dreamt the person who's character went insane had to act out the insanity condition themself.

This is why I love BGG... for its ability to link me to others that interpret these rules so differently.

When this happened at my table, we said the insane character couldn't speak. Meaning they couldn't interact with any NPC and they couldn't cast spells (since they couldn't speak the incantation).

Now if the intent if the designer was to keep the human player from speaking, I'd love to know that. My wife will hope I get that condition from now on, I assure you! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions in the game are written in a way that doesn't require interpretation. They would not have written an instruction that forces you to figure out what parts of the game involve speech and what parts don't.

The Spells are an excellent example. At the very least, the Spells section would mention something about not using them if you cannot speak, or there would be a section in the RRG about what you can and can't do while not speaking. No such rules exist.

Hence, the only conclusion is that it affects you and not your character.

Yes, it's harder to explain this Condition in the context of the game world, as the character can still speak, but it does affect the game in an interesting way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
As an aside, as I'm the person who owns the game and I will be playing with a group that is new to it if I get that card I will mentally append it with "apart from answering rules questions."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Rule of Insanity Conditions. You do not talk about Insanity Conditions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Mightyjim wrote:
First Rule of Insanity Conditions. You do not talk about Insanity Conditions

Second Rule of Insanity Conditions: YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT INSANITY CONDITIONS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the joke, but just because I feel some people might take the wrong thing out of it, I wanted to mention one other thing...

The rules do say you cannot reveal your Insane card to anyone. This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't say stuff about your Insane card.

Games like Dead of Winter may make you think you can't even say what your card is, as the 'do not reveal secret objectives' rule in that game does stop you talking about them period. However, that isn't how FFG usually handles their rules.

Forbidden Words (the cannot speak card) essentially forces you to reveal itself under the Dead of Winter rules, so it's pretty clear that they shouldn't be applying here.

Thus, talk as much as you want about your Insane Condition card... unless it is Forbidden Words. And feel free to lie about it, including not talking when your card isn't Forbidden Words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I love the joke, but just because I feel some people might take the wrong thing out of it, I wanted to mention one other thing...

The rules do say you cannot reveal your Insane card to anyone. This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't say stuff about your Insane card.

Games like Dead of Winter may make you think you can't even say what your card is, as the 'do not reveal secret objectives' rule in that game does stop you talking about them period. However, that isn't how FFG usually handles their rules.

Forbidden Words (the cannot speak card) essentially forces you to reveal itself under the Dead of Winter rules, so it's pretty clear that they shouldn't be applying here.

Thus, talk as much as you want about your Insane Condition card... unless it is Forbidden Words. And feel free to lie about it, including not talking when your card isn't Forbidden Words.

Definitely agree with this. Lying about what condition you have or pretending to not speak when you have a different Insanity card is half the fun of going insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.