BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: 2016 Werewolf Gift Exchange! - Ho ho ho! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
I'm bored, sooo ...

All credit for this program should be given to StatSig. If you would like to consider changes to this program, please feel free to suggest them.

Due to the time it takes to coordinate for actually finding and purchasing a present then getting it to where it needs to go, I would like to give out names no later than 06 November - that's about 8 weeks from today.

Welcome everyone to our seventh annual Werewolf Secret Santa/Holiday Gift Exchange!

Rules will not be 100% final until signups are closed, so feel free to comment on them and make suggestions as you see fit. Once signups are closed, I will consider the rules finalized barring any major problems, so if you have an issue with any of them, please don't wait until the Exchange is underway to say something.

Rules

Who Can Participate

-Anyone who has played at least one game in the Werewolf forums on BGG or who is currently signed up for at least one game.
-To enforce this rule, this exchange is invite only: post in this thread to get GM'd the invitation link; alternatively, you may GM me directly.
-In very rare cases, people may be refused sign-up if they have caused difficulties in a past exchange (not sending a gift, etc.). This will be avoided as much as possible.

Rules for Giving

What Should I Give

-Board games are always an option, but feel free to make the gift something else. Particularly if you know the person well enough that you think you can judge what they'd like accurately (or when it's something that pretty much everyone loves, like cookies or a live unicorn). Hopefully they will have helpful info in their wishlists and comments as well.

Price

-We have instituted a soft limit of $35 for this exchange. By soft limit, we mean the following: feel free to spend more than $35 if you wish, but such spending is meant to be an exception rather than the rule. No one should be expecting to receive a gift of greater than $35 value. No one who spent $35-ish on a gift should at all be made to feel that they underspent.
-This is to prevent people from being intimidated to participate due to budgetary constraints.
-This does not include shipping (as long as you don't go crazy and try to send your games in a gold-plated box or something).
-The Board Game Prices website may be useful for you.

Note: If your budget is limited, do not feel bad for buying something in the $20-$25 range. If you for whatever reason have financial trouble and/or feel badly about not being able to get a $35 gift, contact me and I will work out a backup gift to help you out with purchasing. Seriously. This has happened more than once and we will find a way to make it work.

Shipping

-It is preferred that you be willing to ship worldwide, we don't want anyone feeling left out or unwanted! However, understand that this may come with increased costs; if you have doubts about your abilities to cover these costs, you may want to mark as same-country so that we don't have to try to find you a replacement target later.
-To facilitate this process, it would be helpful if everyone would give the name of internet retailers and/or local FLGSs that will ship to their country of residence to prevent people from having to pay international shipping fees.

New vs. Used

The last few years, it seemed like a general consensus was that used-but-in-good-shape was just fine, assuming you didn't go way over the price limit in value. If you are specifically not okay with getting used stuff, please state in the comments when you sign up.

Board games vs. RPGs, VGs, etc.

Gifts should be given according to the wishlist of the recipient, and/or the best judgment of the giver. If they have videogames or RPGs in their wishlist, they should be okay with receiving said gifts. So it may behoove you to check people's VGG and RPGG accounts in addition to their BGG account.

Contacting your target

-You can use the WW Secret Santa account

Lord of Christmas Cheer

a Village
North Pole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

to anonymously contact your target in order to ask them questions, taunt them, etc. The password is "password."

-Don't open GMs that aren't from your target when using the WW Santa account.
-Don't change the password!
-To prevent situations where people are worried that their Santa has forgotten them, there is a deadline by which you need to have either sent your target a gift or at least contacted them via this account in order to let them know that they have an active Santa who hasn't forgotten them. I'm not forcing you to play cat-and-mouse taunting games with them or anything, just either have their gift to them or send a GM that says "I'm getting you something good! " or "Targeted acquired!" or something. See the Deadlines section.

Rules for Receiving

Wishlists

-Keep your wishlist up to date so your Santa knows what you want!
-Make sure you include games of appropriate value on the wishlist. -Don't forget that you can include video games and RPGs due to the expanding nature of BGG; you may want to include a note somewhere to check your appropriate wishlists.
-See the Deadline section for when your Wishlists should be more or less finalized.

Other gifts

-If you are happy receiving other gifts, like food or trinkets, feel free to list such information in the comments section when you sign up.
-You can also add Outside the Scope of BGG to your wishlist and make wishlist comments there.
-You may want to include any sort of dietary restrictions or food allergies in your comments if you're okay with receiving, say, cookies.

Graciously receiving gifts

-During the first year, we had problems with some Santas being unsure whether their gift was received or enjoyed.
-Thus, there is a requirement to add your gift to the "Look what I got" Geeklist so your Santa can see you got it and are pleased. Be gracious and thank your Santa!*

That link was 2013's. This link is 2014's:
Werewolf Secret Santa 2014 Edition - Look what Santa sent me!!
This is 2015's:
Werewolf Secret Santa 2015 Edition - Look what Santa sent me!!
2016's:
Werewolf Secret Santa 2016 Edition - Look what Santa sent me!!

-If you receive the gift early but are waiting until Christmas or some other day to open it, you can always put up some sort of placeholder item on the list just so your Santa knows the gift arrived okay.

Communication

If your Santa writes you, make sure to answer their questions (if any) in a prompt manner to help them buy gifts or figure out what you'd like. They're putting effort into pleasing you, make sure you show appreciation by contributing!

Deadlines

These deadlines are currently flexible, but let's run with them until they change.

Signups Closed/Preliminary Targets Given

NOV 06 - I will shuffle up and hand out targets.

Targets Finalized

NOV 20 - If you have a problem with your specific target (someone you know personally and are getting gifts anyway, they killed your puppy once, they're your alter-ego, etc.), this is the deadline for reporting it.

Have Your Wishlist Finalized / Contacting your target

NOV 27 - Feel free to use the WW Secret Santa, as described above. Please contact your assignment by this date. This is also the time when all participants are asked to have finalized their wishlist.
This is a NLT date, not a start date.

Gift received

DEC 17 - Target should either have their gift or at least a GM saying you haven't forgotten them and you have a plan for getting them their gift.

Posting your gifts to the Geeklist

JAN 14 - That gives a couple weeks after any given winter holiday at which you might open presents and lets you get over any possible New Years' hangovers.

FAQs/Clarifications

May be updated.

TL;DR

-Post in thread for invite
-Read the deadlines
-SOFT $35 gift limit for gifts, not counting shipping etc. If you want to overspend, be my guest, but no one is expected to do so.
-Read the deadlines!!
-Helpful if you give names of FLGSs or online stores that ship in your country affordably
-Have fun and show each other what a great family we are!

THE GEEKLIST

These are the folks that I will be inviting. TBD, of course.
... As soon as I get enough names to make it worthy of carrying out.
These folks have been sent an invite. If you think you should have gotten one, but do not see your name on the list, please let me know.
... or if you need me to send the invite again, I guess ...

Amekins
annab
BerenCamlost
bkarrigan
bluelise
BlueTorch
DeMorcerf
elias5891
ErintheRed
FaleohFang
gdapkus
Gelatinous Goo
gelrod
jageroxorz
ljtrigirl
LudesFactor
mmesich
monogarden
nyriv
Quaseymoto
Rhanddom
RoyalApe
SarahBoBara
seanp
shawnad2006
Smugvid
Tarrant
TFang
Urza47
worshipsf
xandryyte

Prior exchanges:
2013 Werewolf Gift Exchange! Whee!
2014 Werewolf Gift Exchange! - Ho Ho Ho!
2015 Werewolf Gift Exchange! - Ho ho ho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I run wit bad ass sistas wit them righteous fangs, Killas that cut ya leave ya bleeding to die in the rain. Yall can’t understand the blade as it slice through ya vein, Yall ain’t realize the sweet fore it turn into pain. - O Dawg
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo, sign me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. - Linus
badge
I am fat and tasty!
mbmbmbmbmb
First! IN! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
There is scarcely any passion without struggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I want in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hill
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Nickname courtesy of Baby Cat! <3
badge
"Work like a Captain. Play like a Pirate!"
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG I WANT A LIVE UNICORN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
There is scarcely any passion without struggle
mbmbmbmbmb
BerenCamlost wrote:
OMG I WANT A LIVE UNICORN!

I am glad you specified on the status of the unicorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beck
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Let's Go Royals! *clap* *clap* *clap clap clap*
badge
The Real Rafiki
mbmbmbmbmb
In
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faleoh
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get unicorn poop on Thinkgeek. Sign me up so I can send some!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I don't flirt. I just say what I want." -JJ
badge
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass." -Cordelia
mbmbmbmbmb
In again. Hoping I can live up to the standard set last year

(And in case my past Santa is looking, just wanted to let you know that you totally knocked it out of the park. I've played Favor the the Pharaoh like 11 times already and love the Imperial Settlers stuff I've seen.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(AMY-KINZ)
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
It's a happy-go-moinkaly lucky shpadoinklely...dayyyy
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely in again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Admiral L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated. -Dangerface
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ininininin.

I'll try not to tell my person who I am this year. I've accidentally done that both of the last two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
IN, Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Żarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Just take a moment for yourself
badge
I have no idea
mbmbmbmbmb
I am truly appalling at buying gifts, but I promise to at least try before GMing you as WW Santa in floods of tears and indecision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
In.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many years is this now? 4? It never disappoints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt C
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliott A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to take part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
mbmbmb
Also in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
I represent no danger.
mbmbmb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup!

or Yep!

or something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.