13 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Campaign Mode - Your Fellowships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai T
msg tools
mbmbmb
For those of you that have played/are playing campaign mode: What hero lineups are you using? Are you trying to be thematic and use only the 9 walkers, or are you tinkering with "what if" scenarios and bringing Glorfindel and Faramir?

For myself, I've only used the hobbits (Sam, Merry, Pippin). It's a great deck, but I'd like to hear how others have approached it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to stick to thematic heroes as much as I can but have found I lack spirit cards so I have included Eowyn or Glorfindel on occasion.

I have yet to try this with three players so we could include most of the nine walkers as heroes but I have played a hobbit deck armed with the ally version of the "missing" heroes (Boromir, Gimli, Legolas and Gandalf). Aragon is missing here so sometimes his "cousin" Son or Arnor or Faramir is included in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a thematic fellowship the first time. Second time was the Grima Redemption story where we used Merry(T)/Eomer/Grima paired with Eowyn/Theoden(S)/Erkenbrand (and did not include the Grima enemy in Treason of Saruman).

Now I'm on my third campaign with a 3-player group. At 3-4 players it becomes near impossible to play thematically, because of the limited number of thematic heroes and the fact that the game generally gets harder with more players. One deck has been mostly Hobbits, with the occasional Threebeard or Beregond, the second deck has been Gondor themed, and the third has been location control with Idraen and Glorfindel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
At 3-4 players it becomes near impossible to play thematically, because of the limited number of thematic heroes

Very interesting...I had hoped to play with 3 players on day and choose a hobbit deck (Sam, Merry, Pippin), a butt kicking deck (Gimli, Legolas and Boromir) and Aragorn, Gandalf and maybe Glorfindel deck. That would be pretty thematic as all of them were in Rivendell at the time right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muaddib1 wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
At 3-4 players it becomes near impossible to play thematically, because of the limited number of thematic heroes

Very interesting...I had hoped to play with 3 players on day and choose a hobbit deck (Sam, Merry, Pippin), a butt kicking deck (Gimli, Legolas and Boromir) and Aragorn, Gandalf and maybe Glorfindel deck. That would be pretty thematic as all of them were in Rivendell at the time right?

It all depends on how much you want to stretch the theme. For example, Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir weren't in the Shire or Bree, so you shouldn't use them for Black Riders. Then when the fellowship splits it gets more complicated because Sam and Frodo are in a separate group. You can add in Rohan heroes or Treebeard for Treason of Saruman, but what do you do for Land of Shadow when thematically it should just be Sam and Frodo? Who do you use for the other 8 hero slots (since Frodo doesn't count)? Faramir, Mablung, and Damrod perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
It all depends on how much you want to stretch the theme. For example, Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir weren't in the Shire or Bree, so you shouldn't use them for Black Riders.

Good points! I think the 3 player version fits best (thematically) with The Road Darkens and perhaps Treason of Isengard.

Teamjimby wrote:
Then when the fellowship splits it gets more complicated because Sam and Frodo are in a separate group.

Not sure what you mean here - do you mean when Frodo as the objective ally goes from hand to hand? Otherwise, I would see them in the same quest for everything but Treason of Isengard, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done some really weirdo decks with Hirulin and leadership Aragorn and Theodred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muaddib1 wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
Then when the fellowship splits it gets more complicated because Sam and Frodo are in a separate group.

Not sure what you mean here - do you mean when Frodo as the objective ally goes from hand to hand? Otherwise, I would see them in the same quest for everything but Treason of Isengard, yes?

No, I'm talking about how the fellowship splits in the story and Sam and Frodo go a separate way. So those two shouldn't be at the battle of Helm's Deep. Likewise, Legolas and Gimli shouldn't be helping Frodo and Sam cross through the Dead Marshes.

It makes a thematic campaign kind of a weird thing. One the one hand, a campaign is all about using the same heroes for an extended period of time. On the other hand, thematically they split into two distinct groups in completely different locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muaddib1 wrote:

Teamjimby wrote:

I am very much a beginner at this game (still in core) but It seems obvious to me.

Any quest following the books that comes after the breaking of the fellowship, should only have Frodo and Sam (and possibly Gollum???!) as heroes when following THEIR journey through Ithilien and into Mordor. I can see a few Gondorians in Ithilien and possibly Osgiliath (if it follows the movie rather than the book) but they would be allies rather than heroes. But apart from that I see only 2(3) heroes. Rather difficult to play thematically with two people let alone three.

There is more scope for extra heroes following the others as they travel through Rohan, Fangorn and Gondor. But neither Sam nor Frodo should appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:

Sorry I read your sentence to say separate from each other not separated together from the others. It definitely makes sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign is kind of weird in that the fellowship is broken and the campaign is not. I think a version like this might make more sense for a solo player:

Black Riders (and POD quests) -- solo one-handed, deck A
Road Darkens -- solo two-handed, deck A + deck B
Treason of Isengard -- solo one-handed, deck B
Land of Shadow -- solo one-handed, deck A
Flame of the West -- solo one-handed, deck B

As an alternate, deck A could solo the first Black Riders and the two POD quests, with the second deck joining them at Bree for the final two quests of that box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maravon wrote:
For those of you that have played/are playing campaign mode: What hero lineups are you using? Are you trying to be thematic and use only the 9 walkers, or are you tinkering with "what if" scenarios and bringing Glorfindel and Faramir?

We are playing the campaign with two players and decided only to use heroes from the original fellowship. This left us with 8 heroes from the start (since Frodo is around as a fellowship hero, anyways).

We made decks using Aragorn, Pippin, Sam and Boromir, Legolas, Merry.

Later, when Aragorn became a fellowship hero, he was switched out for Gandalf.

Gimli is always around as an ally as well.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My deck(s) attempted to be thematic, with Frodo having fond memories of his time at Rivendell, i.e. his memories of Glorfindel and Elrond turned into characters accompanying him and Sam. They were sort of there in spirit :-) This worked pretty well up until the group met Shelob. Check out https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1445344/quasi-themed-de... for the first quest and there are two follow-up posts related to the second and third quests for Land of Shadow. Shelob proved too much for the group to overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.