Subject: Simple Question -- Are Archetypes unique individuals? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in another post and I was interested to hear what others here on the forum thought. If you say that you played the soldier in a game of Myth, is it always the same soldier or a different one?

On the one hand, he's not named (and they don't even recommend doing so as Shadows of Brimstone does). But if you use the progression system and get say a title, and play the title in a next game, that somewhat implies that he is the same soldier (though you could argue that it's actually the Player getting the title).

Then presumably not every city in Myth has the SAME types of enemies. Some might have mostly crawlers, some grubbers, some shamblers, etc., so since we see all of these, that sort of implies that it's different soldiers. And you're using the same mini (or one of two).

So where do you come down on this question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew H
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you use the character tracker sheet on the Megacon website, it has a space for you to name your character. In terms of titles, it is the same soldier. The idea of keeping titles and deck upgrades between sessions is that this is the continuation of that particular Soldier. It sounds like you're thinking of the original intention of Myth which didn't have an overarching story. Early in the first Kickstarter they changed things to support character progression and they've really solidified that concept in Myth: Journeyman.

So in my opinion, it depends on whether you are keeping any changes you made to the soldier from the last session that you played the soldier. If you keep deck changes and titles, it's the same soldier. If they start fresh, it can be a new soldier if you so choose or you could just be starting the same character over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason S
msg tools
Its definitely odd... the deck manipulations and titles make it clear that its supposed to be the same soldier every time.. but the gear reset suggests that it isn't. I personally think of it as being a different character's story each time, but that's just because it feels better to me that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

On the one hand, he's not named (and they don't even recommend doing so as Shadows of Brimstone does). ?

Just out of curiosity: Would you mind linking the threat where you read this? The "not recommending to name"-thing, I mean. Thanks!

TBH I can't even think of any player, that has ever played MYTH with me, WITHOUT somehow identifiying with his game avatar and making it unique in that way.
It's not the rules, the fireplace poker or the titles that make a "soldier" into "Eric, The Unconquered" - it's their player's imagination and personality. Whenever one of those poor 32mm-fellas gets picked-up and plunged into heroic battle, it becomes a unique avatar, a vessel. It stops being "soldier" and bcomes something else.
In that aspect you could say, it's always a different soldier, a different story told - at least when we are just talking about one-shot sessions. If we play campagin, people stick with "their" hero, because when you end a session in campaign play, the story is not over, it's just a chapter that has been told.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:

Just out of curiosity: Would you mind linking the threat where you read this? The "not recommending to name"-thing, I mean. Thanks!

It's hard to point to the non-existence of a thing. It's not a statement that you shouldn't name them, it's the lack of a recommendation that you should.

I'm also not saying there's anything wrong with them remaining archetypes. I've been playing solo with 4 characters (because I feel like I need the firepower and the versatility) but I don't think not having a name makes me not identify with them. Playing more than one character does kind of lower the identification a bit because it encourages me to think of it as a tactical board game. Is that bad? I'm not sure. I'm really not sure how to know what they intended except to watch them play on YouTube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.