$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 91.61

5,945 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The salary you must earn to buy a home in 27 metros rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I found this to be quite interesting:

http://www.hsh.com/finance/mortgage/salary-home-buying-25-ci...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?
Or, Portland isn't as great as you think.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?


I'll call bullshit on the Baltimore stat. Maryland has really high house prices but Baltimore drags it down because it's a cesspit. So to buy a house on that salary probably means you need to buy a house in a part of Baltimore city that no middle class person wants to live in. In other words, sure you can buy a house on that salary if your not worried about it burning down in the next riots.

Look to the Washington DC numbers to be more representative.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?


Heh. Even after years of ridicule over your inability to feed a family of 4 on $800 a month, you still persist in proving to RSP that you know almost nothing. Texas, the one state in the USA that more people not only want to move to than any other state, but the one that more people do move to:

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/04/20/texas-top-destinatio...

Oregon Hipsters and Earth Shoe fans were trying to get that top honor for their state but they could only declare it so by jiggling the math and finding a per capita stat that allowed them to imagine they are the best. Personally, I'd rather live in Oregon than Texas but not for the reason of jobs or anything like that - weather suits me and I like the terrain.

But more people want to move to Texas than your over-doped state that seems to be full of people who are kind of stupid and uninformed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
XanderF wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?


Well, as Tripp pointed out, a lot of people want to move to Texas. I'm not as familiar with Houston as I am Dallas and the San Antonio-Austin corridor, but Dallas has many, many suburbs that are reasonably affordable. Had they picked home prices for Austin, however, they would have been considerably higher. It is the mecca for the techies. Plus, it's a really cool city (not temperature-wise, Texas is a furnace).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?


Well, as Tripp pointed out, a lot of people want to move to Texas. I'm not as familiar with Houston as I am Dallas and the San Antonio-Austin corridor, but Dallas has many, many suburbs that are reasonably affordable. Had they picked home prices for Austin, however, they would have been considerably higher. It is the mecca for the techies. Plus, it's a really cool city (not temperature-wise, Texas is a furnace).


Nah. Georgia is a furnace. So is Arizona and Florida. Parts of Texas are hot and sweaty but other parts are relatively pleasant. As a Texas Native who lived in East, South And West Texas and also Dallas I'd say the overall weather there isn't that bad. And the lower regulation for business is very attractive. Austin is an outlier and it, along with Houston are two of my least favorite cities in America. I wouldn't live in either one of them unless I was paid $500,000 a year, enough to keep an apartment there and actually live somewhere nice. Like Lake Oswego.

The one thing that has always pissed me off about Texas is there is nowhere to shoot. Unless you live out West towards El Paso. It's all private land. Where I live, or in parts of Oregon or almost all of Nevada or really most of the mountain states you can shoot damn near anywhere and if you get a hunting license you get details on what sectors you can hunt and you don't have to pay some greedy landowner $500 to walk around on his 100 acres.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?
Or, Portland isn't as great as you think.


Having lived 20 years in the Cleveland area, another few years in other places, and now nearly 15 years in the Portland area...I can say with some degree of experience that it is, indeed, that much better here than Cleveland.

remorseless1 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Same reason Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are so low. Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.

I confess I'm rather surprised that Baltimore is lower than Portland, OR, though...guessing this is more to do with an overly-generous definition of the 'urban area', there, maybe?


Well, as Tripp pointed out, a lot of people want to move to Texas. I'm not as familiar with Houston as I am Dallas and the San Antonio-Austin corridor, but Dallas has many, many suburbs that are reasonably affordable. Had they picked home prices for Austin, however, they would have been considerably higher. It is the mecca for the techies. Plus, it's a really cool city (not temperature-wise, Texas is a furnace).


There is a difference between 'did move there' and 'wants to move there'. I don't think anyone would argue that Texas has more jobs than many other states - but everyone I've known that has moved there has complained pretty much constantly about the food and climate (and, well, politics, but that's not unexpected).

Oh, and the music. 'Like 80 stations on the radio, but all playing the same damn country song over and over'? That one might have been hyperbole...hopefully...

DWTripp wrote:
Personally, I'd rather live in Oregon than Texas but not for the reason of jobs or anything like that - weather suits me and I like the terrain.


Well, that's the reason most folks seem to want to live here, yes. Also because of the food and wine/beer quality. Certainly not much in the way of jobs, which does make the extremely-high housing prices...bizarre. (We blame Californians for that)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xander unknowingly disgorged wrote:
There is a difference between 'did move there' and 'wants to move there'. I don't think anyone would argue that Texas has more jobs than many other states - but everyone I've known that has moved there has complained pretty much constantly about the food and climate (and, well, politics, but that's not unexpected).

Oh, and the music. 'Like 80 stations on the radio, but all playing the same damn country song over and over'? That one might have been hyperbole...hopefully...


Seeing as how more people have moved to Texas over the last 6 or 7 years than live in Oregon, in total, there's a better than 100% chance you are wrong again. 80's Rock? Only CW? That's your problem? I've been to Texas, have you? Even that shitburg Austin alone ought to prove to you that you wouldn't know the first thing about Texas if it kicked you ass with a steel tipped boot.

I'd suggest you go visit. I've been to all the lower 48 and frankly the only one that really needed to be just ignored was that tiny one that has all the corporations - and Joe Biden.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Xander unknowingly disgorged wrote:
There is a difference between 'did move there' and 'wants to move there'. I don't think anyone would argue that Texas has more jobs than many other states - but everyone I've known that has moved there has complained pretty much constantly about the food and climate (and, well, politics, but that's not unexpected).

Oh, and the music. 'Like 80 stations on the radio, but all playing the same damn country song over and over'? That one might have been hyperbole...hopefully...


Seeing as how more people have moved to Texas over the last 6 or 7 years than live in Oregon, in total, there's a better than 100% chance you are wrong again. 80's Rock? Only CW? That's your problem? I've been to Texas, have you? Even that shitburg Austin alone ought to prove to you that you wouldn't know the first thing about Texas if it kicked you ass with a steel tipped boot.

I'd suggest you go visit. I've been to all the lower 48 and frankly the only one that really needed to be just ignored was that tiny one that has all the corporations - and Joe Biden.


80s music, what? Not sure what you are on about, there. Anyway, yes, I have been there - spent many months in Texas back about 16 years ago. Dallas area, and some in the Eastern parts of the state.

As to 'happiness' - I'm a fan of data mining...



Quote:
“We created a list of the 50,000 most commonly used words online, and then asked users of Amazon’s Mechanical Turk service to score the top 10,000 of those words on a scale from 1 (sad) to 9 (happy),” said Lewis Mitchell, the study’s lead author, in an email.
...
The words classified as happy ranged from descriptive adjectives like “nice” and “beautiful,” to objects such as “rainbow,” “wine” and “beach.” Words that were deemed negative included “hate,” “smoke,” and “traffic,” as well as an array of swear words, according to the study.
...
Using Twitter’s “garden hose” feed, a service that allows access to 10 percent of all public statuses, Mitchell and his team sifted through tweets in search of the words listed on the scale. Each tweet was sent from a cell phone where the user had elected to share their location. Researchers created an algorithm to determine which locations had the most positive and negative tweets.


(Especially as data mining of this kind tells different stories than phone surveys do. It's super interesting to basically see what people are saying when they don't think they are being evaluated, vs when asked questions.)

EDIT: Looks like they've kept up their data mining, too - the site has some very interesting stuff on it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Quote:
“We created a list of the 50,000 most commonly used words online, and then asked users of Amazon’s Mechanical Turk service to score the top 10,000 of those words on a scale from 1 (sad) to 9 (happy),” said Lewis Mitchell, the study’s lead author, in an email.
...
The words classified as happy ranged from descriptive adjectives like “nice” and “beautiful,” to objects such as “rainbow,” “wine” and “beach.” Words that were deemed negative included “hate,” “smoke,” and “traffic,” as well as an array of swear words, according to the study.
...
Using Twitter’s “garden hose” feed, a service that allows access to 10 percent of all public statuses, Mitchell and his team sifted through tweets in search of the words listed on the scale. Each tweet was sent from a cell phone where the user had elected to share their location. Researchers created an algorithm to determine which locations had the most positive and negative tweets.
That site is no day at the beach, it is a rainbow of words with selective context based on modifiers. I'd love to see it launched into the beautiful ocean. I feel like I should drink 3 bottles of wine to boost my self-esteem for all the happiness and joy that I have had liberated from me after having learned about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Having lived 20 years in the Cleveland area, another few years in other places, and now nearly 15 years in the Portland area...I can say with some degree of experience that it is, indeed, that much better here than Cleveland.
It has more Vegan options than Cleveland, I'll grant that. Otherwise, I think Cleveland wins at most other metrics that are important to me. As opposed to Portland, Austin and a couple other places that are very impressed with their own progressivim and adopted identities, I'll take sincere and genuine with any assorted warts any day of the week. Cleveland has just enough hipsters to be diverse without them becoming an eye-rolling part of every day life.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Having lived 20 years in the Cleveland area, another few years in other places, and now nearly 15 years in the Portland area...I can say with some degree of experience that it is, indeed, that much better here than Cleveland.
It has more Vegan options than Cleveland, I'll grant that. Otherwise, I think Cleveland wins at most other metrics that are important to me. As opposed to Portland, Austin and a couple other places that are very impressed with their own progressivim and adopted identities, I'll take sincere and genuine with any assorted warts any day of the week. Cleveland has just enough hipsters to be diverse without them becoming an eye-rolling part of every day life.


Weather is also better - Cleveland averages 10% of summer days over 90 degrees. Portland averages 0% over 90. Comparing average temperature throughout the summer, the Willamette Valley tends to be 5 degrees cooler than the Cleveland area. In contrast, in the winter, it's warmer - we rarely drop below freezing, and get snow that sticks around only a few days a year, at most (some years we have no such snowfall). So the short growing season resulting from Ohio's winters has big impact on its ability to grow hops or wine grapes (and general gardening, actually - growing things in Oregon is a joy compared to the gardens we had back in Ohio)

That said, I do miss the thunderstorms. An odd thing to miss, particularly as it means we basically never have tornadoes, either, but...thunderstorm rolling in was always relaxing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.


You would be wrong. YOU may not like Texas, but many more than you feel otherwise.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/01/07/Top-10-States-Ameri...

We offer more freedom, more tradition, lower taxes, guns, awesome beaches, the best BBQ, some of the hottest women, awesome schools, some of the best sports teams EVAH, Tex Mex, colorful history, and some really great radio stations.

Texas, a whole 'nother country.

Not for everyone. But then, we don't want everyone, either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
DWTripp wrote:
The one thing that has always pissed me off about Texas is there is nowhere to shoot. Unless you live out West towards El Paso. It's all private land. Where I live, or in parts of Oregon or almost all of Nevada or really most of the mountain states you can shoot damn near anywhere and if you get a hunting license you get details on what sectors you can hunt and you don't have to pay some greedy landowner $500 to walk around on his 100 acres.


We have different definitions of "hot" then -- I recall going to a party at a house just south of Love Field and it was 100 degrees outside. At midnight.

I share your issue about the shooting, though. People who fly over the central part of the US probably think all that flat, empty-looking land is empty. But if you live here, you understand there's hardly an inch that somebody doesn't own, and what isn't owned is part of the federal parks system where you're not allowed to shoot and hunt except at very specific times (for instance, they're allowing extremely limited buffalo hunting at the wildlife refugee north of Fort Sill/Lawton). Fortunately, I own some land here, so I'm good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
tstone wrote:
XanderF wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
I was surprised by the "affordability" of homes in Texas' three cities. Very interesting. Good find.


Yeah, but then you have to live in Texas.

Nobody wants to live there = market dictates that prices are lower.


You would be wrong. YOU may not like Texas, but many more than you feel otherwise.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/01/07/Top-10-States-Ameri...

We offer more freedom, more tradition, lower taxes, guns, awesome beaches, the best BBQ, some of the hottest women, awesome schools, some of the best sports teams EVAH, Tex Mex, colorful history, and some really great radio stations.

Texas, a whole 'nother country.

Not for everyone. But then, we don't want everyone, either.

Texas -- where men are men, and sheep run scared

Ah, our cousins to the south. So proud. Now if you guys could EVER stop working on I-35!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely nothing wrong with the food in Texas:

Steak. Check.

Tex-Mex. Check.

Mexican. Check.

BBQ. Check.

and on and on....
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:


No surprises which are tops of the list for unaffordability.

I heard Tom Ammiano (former San Francisco politician and stand-up comedian) do a show over the weekend. He quipped:

"When I came here, people came to San Francisco to come out of the closet. Now they come here and live IN a closet."

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the size of the median priced house, too.

Detroit is probably a little skewed, because there are a lot of houses in Detroit proper that go for single or low double digit thousands. When you get outside the city, but still in the metro area, prices rise quickly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Bay, but yeah, it is a pain in the ass to live up here.

And yeah, relocating to Texas is one of those fairly regular considerations, though climate does tend to discourage it. Wife and are natively from Southern California and thus grew to hate the desert, but it also means we can't handle wet heat.

As far as actual cost of living and relative jobs go, it is tempting though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with the food in Texas:

Steak. Check.

Tex-Mex. Check.

Mexican. Check.

BBQ. Check.

and on and on....


I'll second this and go even further to say that I lose respect for anyone's opinion about Texas that claims food as a reason to not go there. The barbecue alone puts it in one of the top five states in the union.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
The one thing that has always pissed me off about Texas is there is nowhere to shoot. Unless you live out West towards El Paso. It's all private land. Where I live, or in parts of Oregon or almost all of Nevada or really most of the mountain states you can shoot damn near anywhere and if you get a hunting license you get details on what sectors you can hunt and you don't have to pay some greedy landowner $500 to walk around on his 100 acres.


We have different definitions of "hot" then -- I recall going to a party at a house just south of Love Field and it was 100 degrees outside. At midnight.

I share your issue about the shooting, though. People who fly over the central part of the US probably think all that flat, empty-looking land is empty. But if you live here, you understand there's hardly an inch that somebody doesn't own, and what isn't owned is part of the federal parks system where you're not allowed to shoot and hunt except at very specific times (for instance, they're allowing extremely limited buffalo hunting at the wildlife refugee north of Fort Sill/Lawton). Fortunately, I own some land here, so I'm good.


Maybe it's just that I grew up in it. Florida and Georgia make my skin bleed, it's ALWAYS blistering hot and the air is like walking through sopping wet cheesecloth. That's what South Texas feels like to me as well, I lived in the Rio Grande Valley for one school year and I spent half my time drinking water and the other half sweating it out. I didn't find Dallas or Texarkana anywhere near as miserable.

Yeah, Texas and so much of the Great Plains are private land. Even California was better for access to shooting opportunities. Here in Idaho we have a plague of Asian Ringneck Dove that apparently began when someone let a bunch loose. They are just fucking everywhere. Very distinctive looking and easily 30-40% larger than the migratory dove I'm used to. So F&G has issued a no limit 365 day warrant on them. Just grab a 20 gauge or .410 and go blow them fuckers up. I know people who have shot 100 a week and then done a huge dove feed BBQ. That's so much like El Paso in the 60's when we used to shoot over 1,000 every season and eat them for weeks on end.

Sadly, no more. One of the best parts of what Tejas was is falling victim to migratory Californians and Oregonians.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in college (Texas A&M) people who were into hunting used to go over to Huntsville which apparently had a pretty large wildlife management area.

[edit] Sam Houston National Forest WMA, 161,508 acres, or about 25% of the size of Rhode Island.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
When I was in college (Texas A&M) people who were into hunting used to go over to Huntsville which apparently had a pretty large wildlife management area.


I think that's the prison.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.