Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Tress
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got this game, and am super excited to break it out with my friends. I've read the rules (twice through) and watched a how to play video on youtube. I still have a few questions I'd like to clear up before teaching the game.

Can you terraform a space just 1 or 2 levels, even if that does not result in it becoming your home terrain type? For instance, I could imagine a situation where I can't generate enough shovels to convert mountain to fields (my home terrain), but if i can change it to wasteland or desert, not only will that make it easier for me on a future turn, but it will also make the space less attractive for an opponent whose home terrain is lakes.
the rules clearly state this is okay, sorry.

The rules state that when taking the 1 shovel power action you may spend workers to add shovels as needed in order to convert the space to your home terrain type. If you needed 3 shovels total, but you only have enoughworkers to get 1 more (so you now have 2 total), is this allowed? Or can you only spend workers if this results in the space ending as your home terrain?

With the 2 shovel power action you are allowed to apply the extra shovel (if the first results in converting your space to your home terrain) to a second space, assuming that space was already a legal spot for you to terraform. are you allowed to spend workers to add shovels to this second space?

When using the Halfling stronghold ability can you only apply these shovels to different spaces after you have completely terraformed a first space to your home terrain? That is, do these shovels only spill over like the 2 shovel power action, or can you freely apply them to different spaces assuming those spaces are all legal places for you to terraform. Are you allowed to spend workers to get extra shovels at this time?

I think those are all my questions, thanks for any help you can provide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colintress wrote:
So I finally got this game, and am super excited to break it out with my friends. I've read the rules (twice through) and watched a how to play video on youtube. I still have a few questions I'd like to clear up before teaching the game.

Can you terraform a space just 1 or 2 levels, even if that does not result in it becoming your home terrain type? For instance, I could imagine a situation where I can't generate enough shovels to convert mountain to fields (my home terrain), but if i can change it to wasteland or desert, not only will that make it easier for me on a future turn, but it will also make the space less attractive for an opponent whose home terrain is lakes.
the rules clearly state this is okay, sorry.

The rules state that when taking the 1 shovel power action you may spend workers to add shovels as needed in order to convert the space to your home terrain type. If you needed 3 shovels total, but you only have enoughworkers to get 1 more (so you now have 2 total), is this allowed? Or can you only spend workers if this results in the space ending as your home terrain?

Yes, you can stop short of your home terrain and just add one shovel.

Quote:
With the 2 shovel power action you are allowed to apply the extra shovel (if the first results in converting your space to your home terrain) to a second space, assuming that space was already a legal spot for you to terraform. are you allowed to spend workers to add shovels to this second space?

No.

Quote:
When using the Halfling stronghold ability can you only apply these shovels to different spaces after you have completely terraformed a first space to your home terrain? That is, do these shovels only spill over like the 2 shovel power action, or can you freely apply them to different spaces assuming those spaces are all legal places for you to terraform.

The Halflings Stronghold spades follow the exact same rules as the double spade action. You can only transform a second (and then third) hex if you already transformed the first (and then second) to your home terrain. You may also build on one.

Quote:
Are you allowed to spend workers to get extra shovels at this time?

Only if you're spending more than three spades on a single hex (for instance going the long way around the wheel to score more points).

Quote:
I think those are all my questions, thanks for any help you can provide!

Sure, enjoy this great game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Tress
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you! am i right in assuming that the halfling ability resembles the 2 shovel power action? that is, you can only use shovels on more than one space if you have fully terraformed all previous tiles to your home terrain, and you are not allowed to add workers to add to shovels to this action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colintress wrote:
thank you! am i right in assuming that the halfling ability resembles the 2 shovel power action? that is, you can only use shovels on more than one space if you have fully terraformed all previous tiles to your home terrain, and you are not allowed to add workers to add to shovels to this action?

Edited above to answer these as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Tress
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.