13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for something unusuál rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi, im looking for some unusual game...japanese,euro,american doesnt matter. I have small collection only five tribes, puerto rico, the voyages of marco polo and witcher, well, not nessesarilly unusual...games like eclipse some scifi or fantasy could be too, i love history and philosophy that cd maybe help and looking for someting medium heavy or even vwry heavy where is nessesary to really take time with rules, as im from europe some games wont b probably available i was thinking about brass, russian railroads or maybe el grande but im open nd b happy to hear some other suggestions yet im bit interested in 7 wonders and la granja but not sure if that wd bn right fit

Thnx for advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island plus Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1)

Mage Knight Board Game

or something medium like

Rococo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Three Kingdoms Redux

It's a fantastic 3-player Euro in a historical Chinese setting. There is too much to say about it in this post, as I am at work, but check it out. Doesn't get much more unique than this while still having finely tuned gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're looking for a medium/heavy unusual game and you love history and philosophy...
Instantly makes me think of Sierra Madre Games. They do very small print runs that frequently sell out. They have a few games up for preorder. Looking at your preferences, check out Pax Renaissance. It's a card game that explores religion, politics, and economics during the Renaissance. I haven't played it just yet, but it's siblings Pax Porfiriana and Pax Pamir are incredible.

They still have Pax Porfiriana in stock on their web store.

They are also based in Germany, so I imagine it would not be too hard to get a hold of it.

Edit: A blog post by one of the designers was just posted recently. It looks like an exciting game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want unusual try Duel of Ages II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My all time favorite would fit the bill - Dominant Species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankMartin

How To : List your Collection and rate games (with screen shots)

My advice, not that you asked for it, is to go for something usually brilliant that'll hit the table and set it on fire often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Terra Mystica? With 14 different player factions in the base game box, it offers very much to explore for many plays before players get tired of it (if they like it). It works best with 4 or 5 players, but the first time your group plays it the game will last 3 hours.

7 Wonders is a good game to have in any collection, for those times when you have 5, 6, or 7 players who want to all play one game together. It is not heavy, but it takes playing through one full game (40 minutes) to understand how to make good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shogun. The combat system is very unusual and the rest of the game is great, too, even if not unusual.

Alchemists is really unique, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization (even comes from your country ).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Different. FOR THE CROWN. A combination of Dominion and chess. Instead of buying victory points, you're buying chess pieces (some regular, some weird moving)to beat your opponent on the chess board. The buying of pieces and movement of chess pieces happen concurrently; i.e., you don't buy all your chess pieces first then play a game of chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm

Toboggans of Doom

Grimoire

"unusual" is a very broad category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.