Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
The following question is certain to bring multiple and different answers, but since there so many geeks out there who have tried lots of "Pandemic" variants, I'm tempted to ask what is the best version of all the "Pandemic" series to have if you must get at least one.
I admit that my collection isn't that big (around 150-180 games) but this "gateway" gem is still missing from my shelves.
I would like to have a copy, but due to various themes I'm kinda lost...
So which one of the Pandemic themes appeal more to you ? (theme and mechanics).
Eager to see responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since you asked for personal opinions: I always found the original Pandemic solid, but a bit blah. (I much prefer Forbidden Desert). Iberia doesn't seem compelling[1], and I won't spend my money on a legacy game. That leaves Cthulhu, which looks promising and I plan to buy it as soon as it's available.

[1] EDIT: By "compelling", I mean there isn't enough in it to set it apart from the original, so I'm guessing I wouldn't enjoy it substantially more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Best" is a very subjective opinion.

Personally, I think 2e (the current "base" version) is OK but the "On The Brink" expansion makes it great.

I've played Cthulhu, it is a really good variant, but I'd still recommend the original for the "best" version.

For the best "Experience", I'd have to say "Legacy". It gives you a fantastic, ongoing, story and introduces the mechanics gradually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
I don't think this question can be answered very usefully until Cthulhu comes out. I will say that I've played a bunch of Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy, don't own regular Pandemic, and plan to buy Cthulhu ASAP. Of course, I love the theme, and that's driving my interest. But I do think that the gameplay looks good so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played vanilla pandemic on the app?

You can get a very good feel for the game via the app (i think).

It even has the On the Brink expansion (highly recommended) available for purchase as well.

Might be a nice way to get to try it before you decide.

I've played Cthulhu probably 10 times.
I still love vanilla pandemic so if I had to choose one or the other, I would pick vanilla pandemic (with OTB).

My gut says Cthulhu will be improved with an expansion - just like vanilla pandemic was improved. I can see adding more GOD cards & better player powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doruk Can Ozcifci
msg tools
I would definiyely recommend 'Legacy Season 1', the adventure is sooo worth the investment. It is also (almost) a legit copy of vanilla Pandemic. (meaning... you don't need to buy vanilla Pandemic again.) If you like to play Pandemic further, you can later add 'On the Brink' expansion easily.

About Reign of Cthulu, I personally loved it (after about 10 games now) and I will definitely be playing it more frequently than vanilla Pandemic.

So, my suggestion is to go straight for:

1) Pandemic Legacy Season 1
2) Pandemic Reign of Cthulu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't rec'd my copy of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu so i can't really but if I don't count it I'd say Pandemic: The Cure is my favorite and I'm pretty sure Reign of Cthulhu will be either my first or second.

Vanilla Pandemic.....ugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I haven't rec'd my copy of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu so i can't really but if I don't count it I'd say Pandemic: The Cure is my favorite and I'm pretty sure Reign of Cthulhu will be either my first or second.

Vanilla Pandemic.....ugh

Ooh. Forgot about Pandemic Cure. Yup, that's the current favorite "Pandemic" of me and my wife. It will be interesting to see whether Cthulhu edges it out to become #1, or settles into the #2 spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Τhank you for your answers!

I'm tempted to try Cthulu version, although Vanilla version must be the one someone probably should have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
athibor wrote:
I'm tempted to try Cthulu version, although Vanilla version must be the one someone probably should have

The vanilla version is one that all gamers (who don't hate co-ops) should play at least once. I'm not sure it's the one everyone should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm with Kevin. The original is a must-have for your collection. I own all of them, and we still bring out original vanilla to share with friends new to the hobby or for a laid back game night. In The Lab is my favorite expansion, The Cure is a great dice version, Legacy is brilliant and one I recommend but is not the first one I would recommend if you don't own and have experience with the base game, and I say the same about Cthulhu--don't prioritize it over base Pandemic. Just my two cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TribalDancer wrote:
I'm with Kevin. The original is a must-have for your collection.

That's actually not what I said. I said the original is a must-play.

Having just played Cthulhu, I think it would be fine for someone to only own that edition, if they are drawn to that theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally received my copy of Pandemic:RoC, I now own this & Pandemic The Cure.

The only reason I might eventually but Pandemic (vanilla) is for collection purposes only. Yes, I have played it several times, no, I do NOT like it that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
I still love vanilla Pandemic (none of the variants except for In the Lab occasionally), but I use all the relevant roles and events from all the expansions, which keeps the game very fresh since there are so many possible combinations. Unfortunately that means I have to buy all the expansions just to get the bonus roles and events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.