Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I recently ventured from my magic the gathering bubble into the vast expanse of board games out there. Naturally I discovered magic the gathering's arena of the planeswalkers. I liked this style of game, but I just know that someone out there probably did it better than this game is. I found heroscape, and was excited looking at it only to realize that it is out of print, and don't want to dish out the money for it. I was looking at the dungeons and dragons dungeon command games, but I'm not sure how good those ones are. My question is, what game would you say does this style of game the best, but is still in print and can be purchased for a reasonable amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of folks will tell you Krosmaster is a good fit. I don't care for the aesthetics of that game though, so I've never tried it. I played Dungeon Command once and enjoyed it; it uses a lot of card play. A lot of folks will also mention Monsterpocalypse as an alternative to Heroscape, but it's out of print now as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you dislike about Arena of the Planeswalkers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
TIM0THY wrote:
What do you dislike about Arena of the Planeswalkers?

I do like arena of the planeswalkers. My main complaint would probably be that the game is too quick a lot of the time. Looking at the vast territory of heroscape, or the variety of troops in dungeon command makes me want something a little bigger, longer, and with more variety of troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Arena of planeswalker is largely Heroscape. It uses the same terrain idea, and the same rules. If you think its too quick, you might have the same response to Heroscape.
Granted, heroscape has a lot more miniatures to choose from so you could definitely have bigger games. But the system itself is comparable in terms of how complicated it is.

Other games that might scratch a similar itch - Tannhauser. Also out of print. Or maybe Rum & Bones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Pick up Heroscape used. With a little patience it's not all that expensive, and you'll be able to sell it for the same price you bought it for if you decide it's not your thing. A used Rise of the Valkyrie runs about the sMe price as it did new.

Heroscape is definitely bigger and longer than Planeswalkers.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garbage Person
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw a bit of a random suggestion out there - X-Wing Miniatures game. Simple ruleset and aquad-building to begin, but you can expand into more and more complexity and interesting interaction by adding new units/ships. Doesn't have some of the terrain-based rules as heroscape, but maintains the initial simplicity with ever-growing expandability.

Or, you might hold off a bit and look into the Runebound minis game FFG is releasing next year. Seems to take a miniatures game but distills it down like Heroscape using some of the X-wing mechanics, probably will have terrain features like heroscape, and has a fantasy combat theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Massey
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars
Arcadia Quest
The Others
Warhammer Diskwars
Duel of Ages 2
Battlelore
Infinity
Dust Tactics
Malifaux
Golem Arcana

Take a look at some of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy Heroscape. If that's what you are interested in, it is what you will always come back to, no matter what other game you buy.

There are tons of copies available for cheap. You don't need to buy everything. Just the Rise of Valkyrie set.

It isn't anywhere near as expensive as X-Wing, which is a money pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.