Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game a few days ago. We have played a few games and Red has won every time. With the direct fire options and pretty stout defenders it seems that Green never gets any traction. I am wondering what other peoples experiences have been? Have you had success with Green? Have you found Red overpowered? Keep in mind this is NOT a review. I am NOT saying Red is overpowered. I am just asking what you have experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile since I've played the mu but I remember it being pretty even.

Calamander with Murkwood Allies is good for building up a wall of defense to be able to protect your other stuff. Calamander is just good in general early for raw combat stats. Compared to other heroes she can become a beast for not much money. Arg is also good early for getting out multiple bodies with a single card. Centaurs in general are effective.

Greens biggest weaknesses are lack or card draw and hero removal. So try and get as much use out of the technician(the card draw one) patrol zone slot as possible. For hero removal the best thing they got is max level Midori but that's most likely not possible until mid game. In the early game their best hero killer is probably Tiny Basilisk especially if you can get Behind the Ferns down.

From your post it sounds like Red is playing defensively? Making a wall of patrollers and using Jaina for Fire spells? It would help to know what kinds of things Red has done to win and what things Green is doing in their losses.

Green has some really good tech II choices in the mu. If Red is going straight for face(Base) then going Growth can give Artisan Mantis a time to really shine. Having Untargetable Basilisk in Balance is extremely handy vs Red. The Resist 2 Bears in Feral can also make playing all those targeting spells for Red not a thing they're excited about doing.

But without having a more detailed explanation of what has been happening it is hard to give as solid of feedback. Also I haven't played competitively/seriously in quite a while so hopefully some one more in touch will reply as well. But hopefully some of this information will be useful/relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah Green is defiantly a mid game player and can take a few rounds to get going. Against Red they need a decent defense, and they have some good wall units. In my experience they are pretty fair against one another, I'm not a hugely aggressive player but I can beat Red with Green pretty evenly.

But like Joshua said, this game is really all about the ebb and flow between rounds, you would need to provide much more detail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that it is possible that the reason that Green is having trouble gaining traction is because of stuff played in tech 0 turns. Against Red you really want bodies so playing Rich Earth or Verdant Tree is usually not good. Playful Panda, Young Treant, and Ironbark Treant are strong options vs Red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
I was thinking that it is possible that the reason that Green is having trouble gaining traction is because of stuff played in tech 0 turns.

Yeah, once players start to get any good, those first turns can really set the tone for the rest of the game. Early bad plays can be pretty costly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Red vs Green is really balanced. I've played it both ways round but more green than red, and I've seen both sides win about an equal number of times. Green can make use of Rampant Growth and Dinosize / Polymorph Squirrel to set up some favourable trades, and the economy advantage from Rich Earth / Galina Glimmer can be pretty potent too.

We just had a hilarious game tonight where I (as green) was down to 1 base life with 4 Tech II units out, where my Red opponent didn't have any Tech II at all, but he just about squeaked out the win... it was just one final-turn decision away from a *draw* with a Dinosize Forest-Favoured Dothram Horselord attacking Drakk for 3 and base for 10, where I deal the final damage to his base and Drakk's death deals the final damage to my base at the same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the matchup much myself, but I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that Red vs Green is the single most playtested matchup in the system (which makes sense as it's the Core Set).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found it really balanced. And yes, green often used technician to draw.

On the psychological side, I find it somehow stressful to play vs green. They get those big guys out so damn quickly. Also note that green has a tech 2 mantis guy which heals their base for 3 which is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharpo Bject
United States
flag msg tools
alextfish wrote:
it was just one final-turn decision away from a *draw* with a Dinosize Forest-Favoured Dothram Horselord attacking Drakk for 3 and base for 10, where I deal the final damage to his base and Drakk's death deals the final damage to my base at the same time!
All of the Horselord's damage will happen before any triggered abilities from the guys he killed, so green wins there.

That sounds like a fun game! I tried this stuff against green a couple times, but green kept healing with mantises
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Funnily enough, I've been having a lot of trouble as Red vs. Green! Red gets on the board early, but if Green can stall them out (like by using Wisp patrollers from Argagarg and the Tech I panda), they have some absolutely nasty tricks up their sleeve. Rampant Growth in particular is a brutal removal spell if it has a target.

And once Green gets going, Red is hard-pressed to build a board against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.