Hide
3 Posts

Karuba» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternative rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Castle
msg tools
I've just ordered a copy and it occurred to me that if everyone has the same tiles as each other, you could end up with copy-cat players.
I assumed that each tile set must be different for each player (different connections/treasure for each instance of the same number) to prevent this, but after looking through the forums, this isn't the case.

It got me thinking about how to discourage copy-cats and also bring in a bit more player interaction for a bit of a more grown-up slant on the game.

Choose a start player.
The caller draws a tile and the start player places his copy wherever he likes.
The remaining players place the same tile, but are not allowed to place on the same field as the one chosen by the start player. (You could even go so far as each player places in turn but not on any field chosen by the preceding player.)

The next player clockwise become the start player for the next tile drawn and so on, with the result that each player's board will end up being different from everyone else's.

As the start player effectively gets to control where other players are prevented from placing, he can perform "blocking" moves to stop them from connecting up routes to the loot, making for a more interactive game.

What do people who've actually played the game think to this sort of take on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and taught this game more than thirty times and "copy cat" play has never occurred past the first couple of tiles. Yes, this has been brought up both here on BGG and when I have taught the game, but no, it is actually a bit of a silly concern. If someone wants to play a game they want to show their ability to solve a dynamic puzzle not show they are dumb, Right? If all someone wanted to do is win by copying, not only do they not win but they themselves are not actually doing anything. It is stupid to play a game against others when you ain't, right? So again, I both dismiss the "copy concern" as it really does not ever occur and if it ever actually did it would merely a childish idiot who anyone would simply forget and forgive as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's never happened. Sometimes there's some similarity in the first few pieces, then it starts to diverge. I've played with 8 simultaneously and it still doesn't happen.

I think your variant would unnecessarily slow the game down. Why not try it for a few games and then re-evaluate whether you still think you need to house-rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.