$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 133.04

7,787 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
70 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My grail game, the perfect 10 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no 10s in my collection. I have one 9.5 and a fair number of 8.x's but not one 10. So what would my perfect game look like? Well, since you asked...

It would almost certainly be a Euro. There are many problems with war games and Ameritrash (much as I love some of them) the most important is that my wife won't play them. She won't play, I have a hard time making it a 10. Deal with it.

It'd be a game where my decisions mattered and where skill usually won out over luck. I want the expert player to ALWAYS beat the beginner and usually beat the decent player. A little randomness is fine, as long as it can be mitigated.

The mechanics would be clever but would not overwhelm the game. I want a heavy game but one where more of the heaviness comes from the difficulty in mastering the game than in the difficulty in learning the game.

I want an appealing theme. Building snowplows or crocheting do not interest me. And do want theme. I like the Gallerist and Agricola because they both are fairly thematic games. Castles of Burgundy has as much theme as day old toast. Actually, less.

I want solid chunky pieces. Preferably wood or pseudo-bakelite or chunky plastic. As much as I like minis I don't like them as much as big chunky blocks of something.

I want cards. I dunno why, I just like games where I have a hand of cards I can do stuff with. Agricola, Innovation, Concordia, Forbidden Stars, they all got cards. And make those cards reasonably sized and sturdy.

I want clear, pretty art in the game. I want the board to look like something interesting, the cards to have good art, the colors to all match, but I also want everything to be readable. AND BIG PRINT. My eyes are getting older and little tiny print on the cards or the board just annoys me. (I'm looking at you Imperial Settlers!)

I want a game that scales well from 2-6. Two is the key (wife again) but I want game to play up to 6 because 4 is so limiting.

Obviously, because this is my grail game and I won't be playing anything else for a long time, I want to have lots of replayability. Variable setup, variable draw piles, whatever you have to do, make it replayable.

Ok, someone make it. I'll give you my money. Lots of my money!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of my 10's are perfect. I don't think there is a perfect game. But the ones I give a 10 are perfect for me. IMO, I already have my Grail game(s)
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
None of my 10's are perfect. I don't think there is a perfect game. But the ones I give a 10 are perfect for me.

I mostly agree. That I don't give any games a 10 is just my own quirk. Ask me on a different day and I might be willing to boost some of my 8s or 9s to a 10.

However, I still want that super uber perfect game. I can dream can't I?!?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say that aside from player count, it sounded like you were describing Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan and then I saw that was your highest rated game at 9.5.

So basically, they need to release the 3-6 player expansion.
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
None of my 10's are perfect. I don't think there is a perfect game. But the ones I give a 10 are perfect for me.

I mostly agree. That I don't give any games a 10 is just my own quirk. Ask me on a different day and I might be willing to boost some of my 8s or 9s to a 10.

However, I still want that super uber perfect game. I can dream can't I?!?


So which one of those boxes doesn't Caverna tick (or other Uwe's game for that matter, like Glass Road)? I have only ever played Agricola, but I heard it's a decent improvement.

Or Scythe? Not sure there's actual mastery to be had over simple proficiency, though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread needs a poll.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
If only Keyflower existed.
7 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
skutsch wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
None of my 10's are perfect. I don't think there is a perfect game. But the ones I give a 10 are perfect for me.

I mostly agree. That I don't give any games a 10 is just my own quirk. Ask me on a different day and I might be willing to boost some of my 8s or 9s to a 10.

However, I still want that super uber perfect game. I can dream can't I?!?


So which one of those boxes doesn't Caverna tick (or other Uwe's game for that matter, like Glass Road)? I have only ever played Agricola, but I heard it's a secent imporvement.


No cards and nowhere near the replayability of Agricola, two of his requirements. Let alone Caverna sucked all the tension out of Agricola.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
If only Keyflower existed.


While defintiely a good game, Keyflower sorely needs an artwork upgrade. Or maybe even a theme upgrade while we're at it... It's almost Burgundy-levels bland.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Ginkgopolis is easily a 12 out of 10. We'll take 1 away because the theme isn't there, and 1 because it only plays 5, not 6. Now you've got 10/10!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
Borghal wrote:
skutsch wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
None of my 10's are perfect. I don't think there is a perfect game. But the ones I give a 10 are perfect for me.

I mostly agree. That I don't give any games a 10 is just my own quirk. Ask me on a different day and I might be willing to boost some of my 8s or 9s to a 10.

However, I still want that super uber perfect game. I can dream can't I?!?


So which one of those boxes doesn't Caverna tick (or other Uwe's game for that matter, like Glass Road)? I have only ever played Agricola, but I heard it's a secent imporvement.


No cards and nowhere near the replayability of Agricola, two of his requirements. Let alone Caverna sucked all the tension out of Agricola.

Pretty much. I mean, a perfectly fine game, but not a gem.
scifiantihero wrote:
If only Keyflower existed.

Theme rating of 2.24 out of 5. No cards. Tiny pieces are not the same as chunky pieces. Most importantly, wife doesn't like.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two games come to mind:

Collector's edition Agricola plays up to 7 and fits most of these criteria and scales well.

Dominant Species also scales pretty well between 2-6 and fits. You'd have to pimp it a bit to get big chunky pieces. You don't hold a hand of cards but there are some cards in it.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I treat my ratings as entirely relative to my opinions on other games.

10 doesn't mean perfect.

10 means it is just better than every other game I've played... for me at least.

I have 3 10s. They are my three favorite games, and I can't even choose a favorite among them.

I can see some flaws in each one. They just aren't things that bother ME personally.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to preorder this game too. Might not be a 10 (doubt any game will ever be for me), but I think I'll like it. Backing the 6-player requirement! My group used to be 4, now the games that only takes 4 players sees very little action, as we're always at least 5...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Russell
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess. It has no randomness. The ability to win is based on your ability to play the game. The only luck is the ability of your opponent. Each piece as a defined movement ability. Each player has the same pieces with the same abilities. Based on what people bitch about in other games chess is the perfect game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhelm wrote:
Chess. It has no randomness. The ability to win is based on your ability to play the game. The only luck is the ability of your opponent. Each piece as a defined movement ability. Each player has the same pieces with the same abilities. Based on what people bitch about in other games chess is the perfect game.


Doesn't have cards.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhelm wrote:
Chess. It has no randomness. The ability to win is based on your ability to play the game. The only luck is the ability of your opponent. Each piece as a defined movement ability. Each player has the same pieces with the same abilities. Based on what people bitch about in other games chess is the perfect game.
Scales poorly.

Pete (harumphs)
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
ironhelm wrote:
Chess. It has no randomness. The ability to win is based on your ability to play the game. The only luck is the ability of your opponent. Each piece as a defined movement ability. Each player has the same pieces with the same abilities. Based on what people bitch about in other games chess is the perfect game.
Scales poorly.

Pete (harumphs)


I know it's subjective, but not much in the way of appealing theme.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have 10s, I've had grail games, the 2 aren't always the same as sometimes a great game can still have glaring flaws. That said, I seldom update my BGG reviews and we don't put a weighting on date for reviews. What was once a 10 will seldom be one a year from now. Some have stood the test of time well, others haven't and that isn't a fault of the game. Tastes change, mechanics and processes get improved, and new themes will become vogue. If nothing else my painting skills get better and the newer games look nicer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Feast for Odin will meet some criteria but not all , if you supersize it to get chunky pieces you may need a forklift to carry the box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
A Feast for Odin will meet some criteria but not all , if you supersize it to get chunky pieces you may need a forklift to carry the box.

Yeah, I'm curious about that one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
Well, Ginkgopolis is easily a 12 out of 10. We'll take 1 away because the theme isn't there, and 1 because it only plays 5, not 6. Now you've got 10/10!

I like your math style. I'm not sure this quite rocks it (as you say, theme) but interesting. Also OOP and pricey to find.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the price...

skutsch wrote:

Ok, someone make it. I'll give you my money. Lots of my money!


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My grail game goes to 11.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominant Species with the Meeplesource upgrades hits every point, except that the board art isn't great.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.