Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Please look at the following cards and choose the one you like the best. Look at the shapes of the boxes, the colors and choose the one you like. Also feel free to comment on why you like one or any questions at all, please note that we are changing the icons to match the art but they are not ready yet. Also please note the Black Borders are thicker than they will really be.

Poll
Which card design do you like best? Take in the layout, colors, design and choose the one you thinks is best.
Image One
Image Two
Image Three
Image Four
Image Five
Image Six
Image Seven
Image Eight
      37 answers
Poll created by spyglassgames

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Imaeg 5
Image 6
Image 7
Image 8
]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help on Layout for Cards
I think you're asking us to vote on where to put gradients.

The simple answer is: No where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a different idea than I do what the word "layout" means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That indeed could be the case, I updated the original post but mainly looking at the colors, shape of boxes and wording seeing which you think is easiest to read and like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Klisch
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
2 - because in print the colors will be darker, so the darker yellow in 7 will be too dark. And don't do gradients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
spyglassgames wrote:
Please look at the following cards and choose the one you like the best. Look at the shapes of the boxes, the colors and choose the one you like. Also feel free to comment on why you like one or any questions at all, please note that we are changing the icons to match the art but they are not ready yet. Also please note the Black Borders are thicker than they will really be.

Poll
Which card design do you like best? Take in the layout, colors, design and choose the one you thinks is best.
Image One
Image Two
Image Three
Image Four
Image Five
Image Six
Image Seven
Image Eight
      37 answers
Poll created by spyglassgames

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Imaeg 5
Image 6
Image 7
Image 8
]

i like image 7 the most. However im starting to see a bit of a problem with symmetrical weight. What i mean by that is that the yellow on the right side stands out so much more than the grey on the left side. Is that intentional? Does winning happen a lot more than death? If not, i would make the death boxes red and winning boxes green. Green is always perceived as good whereas red will be perceived as damage/death etc. But what is good about using green and red is that they are relatively equal in value and hue strength/weight. So again, if the death part of the card is just as important as winning then i would try to balance them out with colors.

you kind of got that going with the gradients. When you have grey scale gradient the value goes all the way up to white which makes the death part stand out more. But personally i dont like such strong gradients, it cheapens the look a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Is that a general statement, because gradients don't look as good when printed? Or that gradients are never a good idea in board game graphic design?

Or just in this specific case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brettellmd wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Is that a general statement, because gradients don't look as good when printed? Or that gradients are never a good idea in board game graphic design?

Or just in this specific case?

Gradients don't look as good when printed, for one thing, and for two, a lot of folks these days are into the simple/minimal aesthetic. There's nothing wrong with gradients per se, but design these days has kind of over-reacted away form them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Looking at your card, art that is in the middle and design choices on the edges, for icons, fonts used etc... It's too 'industrial'. Idk what is your game about, but with that 'cartooney' look, the rest of the card design is not following the theme, if you know what I mean.

Can you, in short, describe your game?

I'm a graphic designer and I have made some games where I have done the cards design myself. I'll post some examples...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I can make you a good 'theme' corresponding to the art you are using for your card and if you like it, you can go in that direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you share the name of the game that art is from? It really caught my attention and looks pretty cool.

Our game is called Hunting Sasquatch and is a fast paced press your luck dice rolling game. The theme is that you are playing various groups of people trying to track down and capture a live Sasquatch but you keep running into other monsters. So the game is meant to be humors and very tongue in cheek, we have commissioned the artist to recreate all the icons we have in the game for us they so match this style. The ones we have now we created ourselves and we agree they are too straight edged or as you said industrial to really fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
I'm a graphic designer and I have made some games where I have done the cards design myself. I'll post some examples...

They look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Halstead
msg tools
Personally, I think the biggest problem isn't with gradients or color, it's with consistency. The icons just look out-of-place, and somewhat distracting, when compared to the artwork. Having matching elements not only makes it look more cohesive, and finished, but it also complements and showcases the artwork on the card (Which is absolutely great, by the way -- and I love the Monopoly-ish style look of the characters.).

Whoever did the artwork should be the one to also design the icons. Each set could also be blocked off on either side, to help separate the two and effectively direct the player's attention.

Here's a quick example from a silly Facebook game -- but it illustrates how the designer ensured that the icons flowed with the existing artwork (even if it is somewhat noisy).

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/wp-content/uploads/sites/2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Just a clarification, I do a graphic design, art is not mine. I used various images I found on internet and mashed the all together to make cards, boards, tiles, dices, etc...

I use Tabletop Simulator to make prototypes and then test them with random ppl in multiplayer, but when I'm ready to pitch my idea to some company then I also need to find an artist since I can't use the mock-ups if the game gonna hit the market due to copyrights on some images I have used.

I can only propose to publisher ' I would like to look like this' and show them mock-ups, but something very different would be used etc.

This is how one of my game look in Tabletop Simulator. It is a prototype made in 7 days, as a Steam workshop mod!

So, I'm just proposing to OP that I can maybe make him a much better thematic design for his cards. I mean, I do not charge for it, I just want to try.
Can you send me one image of the card art without any icons on it, so I can make my version of how should it look like? If you don't like it, that's ok.

P.S. Art is from 2 games of mine:

Swashbucklers, Shadows over Tortuga - which is a story driven RPG game. Basically, Pirates of the Caribbean meets Cthulhu, it has some cool mechanics with the main board and how the monsters spawn and move...

Other is Deep Dark, steampunk setting with deep divers going to various locations to scavenge sunken ships and cities for treasures, but the ocean is full of dangerous creatures... It is a dice allocation game, simple and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.