Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Do Games Like This Get Tournament Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if games "of this type" get tournament play? Is it possible to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I spoke about it some on here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1607450/looking-forward-exp...

It will be much easier with 9 expansions but can work with 3 base games.

So do 3 games of 3. The winners of those 3 games play to determine the top winner.
You can have 2nd places play to determine 2nd, and same with 3rd from those base games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there tournaments for other games out there that are like this game is what I'm asking more than anything.

I'm not a hard core gamer so I don't know.

When I played X-Wing back in 2012, tournament play was the main way I played that game. After I went to many tourneys I made friends and would play with them more often.

Do games like this get tourney support? Does GF9 do tourneys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tournaments are more for games that play quickly, so you can play several rounds in a day.

ascendancy being 3+ hours isnt a likely candidate, though i would love if they did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Are there tournaments for other games out there that are like this game is what I'm asking more than anything.

I'm not a hard core gamer so I don't know.

When I played X-Wing back in 2012, tournament play was the main way I played that game. After I went to many tourneys I made friends and would play with them more often.

Do games like this get tourney support? Does GF9 do tourneys?

They don't usually have board game tournaments for this kind of game. GF9 doesn't do support for thier other kinds of board games.

That being said you could ask your store to do event and offer prize support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Yeah, I spoke about it some on here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1607450/looking-forward-exp...

It will be much easier with 9 expansions but can work with 3 base games.

So do 3 games of 3. The winners of those 3 games play to determine the top winner.
You can have 2nd places play to determine 2nd, and same with 3rd from those base games.

i would love to do an evil twin tourniment. 3 games with each being all one race (ie 3 klingon players in one game, 3 romulans in another and 3 federation) the winner of each game is the not an evil twin so they go on to play the main game for the championship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
R2EQ wrote:
I was just wondering if games "of this type" get tournament play? Is it possible to do?

No. They don't.
Yeah. It's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

It's possible to do a funsies-style tournament, but basically impossible to do any kind of formal, competitive tournament structure. The length of the game is probably the most limiting factor, especially since it's possible for the game to stall out. But think about how a game can reasonably run 4-5 hours even for three players, and that you'll need more than one round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlikely. I've heard of such a thing for two player area control games, I think War of the Ring has (or had) a competitive community, for example. But people don't usually play free-for-all games competitively. There's no reason you couldn't run a tournament, but I would not expect to, y'know, find one in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the problem for Multiplayer FFA games with a tournament is that players would gang up on someone who was winning in the tournament despite them not being a threat in the particular game they were in. Just my two coppers! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and an important question is if you will find enough players to fill a tournament.

there might be a few here on BGG but getting enough of them together in a venue might be difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
and an important question is if you will find enough players to fill a tournament.

there might be a few here on BGG but getting enough of them together in a venue might be difficult

I'm lucky, I've recently joined 2 different gaming groups and play at 3 stores. When I get a group together to play Ascendancy I have friends who keep asking me to play in both groups, lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.