Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the mood to buy a new game but I can't decide which one, so I turn to you the BGG Community to make the decision for me.

My collection is listed here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/galad2003

I keep my collection small and I like to buy "definitive" games that every collection should have. I am not usually into expansion packs but I am kind of in the mood for one. I have backed 3 Kickstarters in my life and I have been dispointed in all 3 so it would take a lot of convincing to get me to back one of them.

I'm thinking an upper limit of $75. I usually purchase on Amazon with Prime if that matters.

I don't know the details yet, but I will take the most recommendations and make a poll or something where I buy the winner. I, of course, reserve the right to veto stupid nominations or votes in case you guys Boaty McBoatFace me.

Update: I will revisit this in a month or so. I was too vague so I will narrow it down for you guys next time.

In the meantime I hit up the BN Red Dot sale and got the following:

Firefly Blue Sun XPac
Specter Ops
Roll For the Galaxy
Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What Game Should I Add to My Collection
The first two Race for the galaxy expansions. They improve an already amazing game and add thousands of plays to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would really be helpful if you would tell us...

...with how many players you usually play.

...what game length you prefer (roughly in hours).

...if certain themes are to be avoided or favoured - or if theme doesn't matter to you at all.

...what weight/complexity you want your new game to have.

...how much luck you like to have in your games.

...if you prefer cooperative or competitive games (seems like you prefer competitive ones).

...how cutthroat your games can/should be.

I'm saying this, because otherwise people will most likely just recommend their favourites (minus the ones you already have), which means that you could probably just browse through BGG's Top 300 games right away.

I'm curious about your answers !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to toss out some suggestions based on games you already have..

Troyes with a fresh reprint coming soon..
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition it might fill that Cthulhu niche but is not like Arkham Horror.
Hoplomachus: Origins because more Roman arena fighting is good right?
Scythe is the newest latest greatest thing ever.
7 Wonders is pretty much a staple now.
Splendor is a game I love lots.
Dice Town is very fun with a group of friends.
Tides of Time and Sushi Go! are light drafting games.
My wife prefers San Juan (second edition) more than Race for the Galaxy and I don't mind one bit.
Ra is a pretty great auction game.
Council of Blackthorn is a brand new game that's pretty cool.

*note, these are all persuasive arguments and not links to random games.*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
It would really be helpful if you would tell us...

...with how many players you usually play.

...what game length you prefer (roughly in hours).

...if certain themes are to be avoided or favoured - or if theme doesn't matter to you at all.

...what weight/complexity you want your new game to have.

...how much luck you like to have in your games.

...if you prefer cooperative or competitive games (seems like you prefer competitive ones).

...how cutthroat your games can/should be.

I'm saying this, because otherwise people will most likely just recommend their favourites (minus the ones you already have), which means that you could probably just browse through BGG's Top 300 games right away.

I'm curious about your answers !

Nope. The only rule I have is I like to have a small but definitive collection like I said above. By definitive I mean, games that should be in every collection. So if you see my list and your like "What? He doesn't have 7 Wonders! He should get that!" Then say that. Or if you are like "Holy cow, he needs to immediately order an awesome 2 player game so he should get Twilight Struggle" then suggest that. If you just list your favorite game fine.

Really there are no rules. I may listen to your suggestions or completely ignore them. I may let this run 1 day or a week. I'm feeling saucy. But I will say I am more likely to listen to a persuasive argument as opposed to a a link to a random game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Nope. The only rule I have is I like to have a small but definitive collection like I said above. By definitive I mean, games that should be in every collection.

I get what you are going for, but unless you run a board game café or are organising regular board game meetings with your games, a universal "definitive collection" makes no sense in my opinion.

People might argue that Carcassonne belongs in every collection, but I can't stand the game (anymore). Same goes with Catan, which is still a nice gateway game, but is in my opinion outdated nowadays. Splendor was a huge hit when it came out but I can't stand the game. On the other hand, many people dislike Tales of the Arabian Nights' randomness and even hesitate to actually call it a "game", but I personally think it's a unique gem and achievement in board gaming.

In short: your own and regular game group's preferences (genres, themes, game length, complexity ect.) tell you what's your own "definitive collection".

If you really want the definitive collection, you just have to buy every game out there.

galad2003 wrote:
If you just list your favorite game fine.

►Here are my personal 10/10s and ►here are my 9/10s. Most games have detailed rating comments, giving reasons why I rated them so high, while also giving points of critique as no game is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Nope. The only rule I have is I like to have a small but definitive collection like I said above. By definitive I mean, games that should be in every collection. So if you see my list and your like "What? He doesn't have 7 Wonders! He should get that!" Then say that. Or if you are like "Holy cow, he needs to immediately order an awesome 2 player game so he should get Twilight Struggle" then suggest that. If you just list your favorite game fine.

Well, if that's road we're traveling, I suppose it's appropriate for me to drop a recommend for Cosmic Encounter. Other than simply being my personal "favorite" game, it can boast significance for being a 39 year-old design that is both still unique and responsible for inspiring so much of the modern climate of game design.

It's notable for its level of social-engagement, its extreme variety/replay-ability and its template as a game where the players get to enjoy breaking the rules.

Oh yeah, and if you play with the kinds of people who don't take games too seriously and who enjoy getting in each other's faces, it's just about the most fun you'll ever have playing a board game. It's the kind of game you remember and laugh about for years afterward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't feel like typing out arguments, but here are my picks for "games you should at least consider owning."

Dominant Species
Scythe
Puerto Rico
Coup
Hanabi
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
Fury of Dracula (third edition)
Merchants & Marauders
Clash of Cultures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll a d10, d20 or a d100, look on BGG for game matching that number. Buy that game. If you already have that game roll again. One could argue that any game in the top 100 are must haves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I guess I was too vague so I will close this for now. Plus I bought a bunch of games at the BN red dot sale so I blew my budget for the next two months. For those who replied I will take a look later.

Cosmic Encounters is one I will consider. I have some "party game" friends who this might go over well with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.