Subject: Similar little "wargames" with minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
Any suggestions for games similar to Hellas, i.e. small, simple "wargames" with miniatures.

(I know not everyone considers this a wargame. I'm using a simple definition where two armies are vying for control of area. Maybe just area control games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently played Cry Havoc which also has a diceless combat system with card play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mini's
area control
card combat
HeroCard Rise of the Shogun

but does not have exploration which is my favorite part of Hellas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:
Any suggestions for games similar to Hellas, i.e. small, simple "wargames" with miniatures.

(I know not everyone considers this a wargame. I'm using a simple definition where two armies are vying for control of area. Maybe just area control games.)

I have written an article on "Elegant Combat in War Games" for the Game & Puzzle Design journal, and I went down to the lighter ones... and Hellas was one of my examples!

There is one straightforward recommendation (that was part of the article but that I had to remove for lack of space) that meets your requirements, Sun Tzu. The counters that tell who controls each area are miniatures, and combat is done with cards.

In the same part of the article, I described two other games that fit the same category, Popular Front and Friedrich, although the miniatures became wooden discs/cylinders. Be aware that Friedrich is slightly more involved and complex than all the other examples, but Popular Front feels similar to a 2-6 player Hellas.

Finally, there is my Tetrarchia, a cooperative light wargame for 1-4 players about the defense of the Roman Empire by the end of the III century. It is in the Hellas range: miniatures, light and compact, simple rules and short playing time... plus you can play it solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:

If you are open to pure strategy (no randomness), there is the modern classic Conquest (which exists in 2-player, 3-player, and 4-player editions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
bprush wrote:

If you are open to pure strategy (no randomness), there is the modern classic Conquest (which exists in 2-player, 3-player, and 4-player editions).

Conquest would be a good choice.

It has a few more moving parts (unit types) and the footprint will be larger... but a simple game to learn. I like the amphibious operations in Conquest as they teach planning and support... more so than in Hellas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Conquest would be a good choice.

But keep in mind that it is completely deterministic. Though more beautiful, varied, and with war-like feeling, gameplay reminded me of Chess. It had very little success with my kids, when they were younger, it is very unforgiving.

The others I listed, all have the fog of war that Hellas has, in the cards too (Sun Tzu, Popular Front, Friedrich) or the dice (Tetrarchia).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.