John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I am curious in hearing from anyone who has played both this and High Noon Saloon to see how they compare. I see that D&F has what appears to be amazing components. Other than that, they seem to have similar themes (other than the setting). I have watched reviews of both games but I have not heard anyone comment as to the direct comparison. Interested to hear any relevant thoughts.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
UteFan wrote:
Hello all,

I am curious in hearing from anyone who has played both this and High Noon Saloon to see how they compare. I see that D&F has what appears to be amazing components. Other than that, they seem to have similar themes (other than the setting). I have watched reviews of both games but I have not heard anyone comment as to the direct comparison. Interested to hear any relevant thoughts.

Thanks!

I haven't played the game but after watching the Dice Tower review I'd say they are quite different mechanically. Whereas you are playing cards directly in HNS, you are pre-programming actions in D&F. So mechanically a better comparison would be Colt Express, and I think this difference changes the way the games feel significantly.
Also, the board in HNS is markedly smaller, making the spatial aspect less important/way more simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
I too haven't played Dragon & Flagon, but I own High Noon Saloon and saw a few how to play videos for D&F. I know you asked for people who've played both, but seems fairly new, so I figured I would weight in.

Christoph is right, it's programmable movement, vs high noon saloon, which is not. That's it's major difference. So with high noon, on your turn you decide what to do, and have a few 'steps' for your turn (move, attack, move, inventory, etc). D&F you have one action, and it's whatever you set up on the turn before, hoping that it'll pan out.

Also HNS has only a select few places you can go, which makes the 'movement' (if you can even call it that) very rigid and limited. When we played, it seemed to be us just staying in one spot most of the game, occasionally stepping out in the middle for an attack. The movement feels more like King of Tokyo, so not really movement. D&F is a grid, and you move around freely, onto tables, swinging across the board, etc.

HNS you can pick up cards where you swing a chair, but with D&F you need a card to pick up the chairs, then you hold them in your hand, and need to card to throw it or swing it.

HNS has guns and other weapons, while D&F has powers.

There are some similarities, especially in theme, but it also feels like two separate games. D&F is like HNS meets Colt Express. And honestly, HNS I love as an idea and theme, but I feel both how the turns work, and the lack of movement, are it's downfalls- both of which seem far superior in this game. I have yet to try D&F, but it sounds like the better version IMO.

I'll be picking up D&F in the near future (maybe a month or two) and let you know my updated opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great responses here. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.