Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to start exploring the solitaire aspect of this game and I'm wondering what is the best way to do this. Is there a preferred scenario? A preferred character? Should I be playing two characters or can I get by with one? Should I use the dummy character?

Thanks for all your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard solo conquest is the best place to start, with the dummy opponent.

Character choice is entirely up to you, or random.
I do not recommend two characters, as you'll have more than enough to think about with one, and there are no official solo set-ups that accommodate more than one.
I really don't recommend playing without the dummy, as it breaks the game. The only exceptions to this are the Volkare scenarios included in the first expansion, which use Volkare instead of the dummy, and are good to try once you are fairly proficient at the standard solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with everything Ben Kyo said.

Pick a character at random and play the Solo Conquest. I would suggest playing the Solo Conquest with each character several times. Your playing style may show you which Mage Knight works best for you this way.

Play one character at a time. This is the best solo experience.

You need the dummy or the game is too easy. You need some pressure to keep moving and that is what the dummy does.

Play the game through to the end even if it seems hopeless. I'm not saying you can usually win what seems like a hopeless scenario, but at least you will learn from it. And you might win despite the bleak look of the game a few turns earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
I prefer to play most solo/co-op games with multiple characters. With Mage Knight I've never even thought about using more than one. There's plenty enough to chew with with just one character in this game.

As far as heroes go they're all viable. Norowas is probably a bit more reliant on getting good units while other mage knights are ever so slightly more independently capable. You can learn the game just fine with him but I do think that other three characters are a bit easier to get your first win with if that sort of thing motivates you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the solo game really shines with the Lost Legion expansion if you can get a hold of a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note. The "dummy character" isn't something that goes on the board and moves around. It's really just a timer that ensures you don't dawdle and wait turn after turn for a perfect draw to materialize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, "just a timer" is a bit misleading too. Your character is basically immortal, so the only ways you can "fail" are to take too long, or for someone else to do better than you. The dummy doesn't set the length of the game - that's fixed at three days and three nights in most scenarios. It does define the length of each day and night, and therefore how much you can achieve in each round. How fast your rival moves defines how fast you must move to "keep up". It's all abstracted to be as quick and painless to track as possible, but it does represent a rival character.

All the above may meaningless waffling to many, but I have heard others complain about how the dummy is "just a timer", and for such people it may help to think of the dummy as a genuine rival just as in a multiplayer game, just without the downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From personal experience and based on my own gaming preferences, MK is the best solo gaming experience there is. It feels like a thematic GAME to me whereas most games that are made-for-solo feature clockwork AI's which I really dislike.

While the dummy player could be seen as a timing mechanism, and I suppose it is really, it does achieve the intended goal of forcing you to play efficiently and makes a 'win' far from certain. Though personally I always consider a fun thematic experience as the real win, win or lose. Winning consistently would quickly become boring to me.

There are some resources which I can recommend.

1. If you search for Mage Knight on IOS or Android you will find a free app to mechanise the dummy hand. This both speeds up play and reduces the footprint of the game.

2. If you download the Vassal engine and the MK module you can play the game on the move with no setup and teardown and even play a four player game on play by email with zero downtime. Also great for solo play without commiting table space.

http://www.vassalengine.org

3. When you fancy a change of pace from standard solo play you could try my story-based solo campaign with character progression. The first 4 episodes are available so far.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/119221/mk-solo-campai...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
The "dummy character" isn't something that goes on the board and moves around. It's really just a timer that ensures you don't dawdle and wait turn after turn for a perfect draw to materialize.
Yup. While the game's fun with a regular dummy player, I prefer how - with the Lost Legion expansion - your opponent actually does move across the map.

Having recently started playing Mage Knight solo again, I've been wondering if you couldn't come up with a similar approach to make the base game dummy player feel more like a real opponent, and give it more 'personality' depending on which Mage Knight is used for the dummy player. At the moment after analyzing hero actions and improved action cards, I just have a bunch of ideas, though. I'll post my ideas in the Variants forum when I've been able to playtest it some.

Meanwhile, I'd also like to point out the excellent Solo Scenario Book that was posted here in the Files section!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are great replies for a fantastic game, but I would like to add that as a way of easing (back?) into MK, playing without the dummy is just fine. In fact, it is even condoned in the rulebook. But, as is mentioned, to add real tension, the dummy player is key. And as also mentioned, Lost Legion is a must have expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:
...as a way of easing (back?) into MK, playing without the dummy is just fine. In fact, it is even condoned in the rulebook.

I was very surprised to read this, so I skimmed the rulebook, and even the walkthrough. I couldn't find any mention of this idea in either. Could you provide a quote?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
jdarnold wrote:
...as a way of easing (back?) into MK, playing without the dummy is just fine. In fact, it is even condoned in the rulebook.

I was very surprised to read this, so I skimmed the rulebook, and even the walkthrough. I couldn't find any mention of this idea in either. Could you provide a quote?

Last paragraph of the FIRST RECONNAISSANCE scenario:

Quote:
However, if you just want to become familiar with the mechanics, you may also ignore the Dummy player in your first game, and enjoy the experience with one hero and no pressure.

Phew! I was worried I just dreamed it up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:
Quote:
However, if you just want to become familiar with the mechanics, you may also ignore the Dummy player in your first game, and enjoy the experience with one hero and no pressure.

Phew! I was worried I just dreamed it up...

Thanks, I should have checked there. That makes sense. First recon is just to familiarise yourself with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for this thread, guys! Have MK and the BT insert on its way to my door for some solo play as I type this, so its definitely helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.