GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 115.72

7,050 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Day Life
msg tools
Hi there...

I'm trying to actively find new members for our guild. The problem is we have been posting threads looking for members in NSW for around 5 years or more every 6-10 months or so, and so far have only had a smattering of responses let alone someone coming to an event.

See our more recent post : [NORTHERN BEACHES] Game Group Looking for Members!

So I thought we would try some different locations to find members this time.. but I do not really know where to go.

There is a website called "MEETUP.COM" that charges a fairly large monthly fee to host a group page, basically a guild page like on the geek but hosted to a much larger group of people. I'm not exactly happy with having the cheapest plan cost 80aud (60usd) every 6 months, but was going to pay it, but the site not accepting PayPal and requiring me to dump my credit card details into their database is a bit of a deal breaker.

Dose anyone know any other sites that I might be able to use to find people to play with?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny M
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a bit of an obvious one, so forgive me if it's already been considered, but have you tried a few of the Facebook groups that are kicking around?

I've found that they have a broader range of members than BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whale
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Meetup.

You can try the Gamelovers group where NSG advertises.

It is much less intimidating than the geek and probably half our new faces come from there. But please make sure that event is kept current and you respond to queries in that forum. Brandon who manages that group gets understandably upset when new members for his community are put off by non-responsive event organisers or an assumption that all members will be accessing the geek or some other site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Upper North Shore Board Gamers at Hornsby is quite active on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UpperNorthShoreBoardGamers/

Also quite active are the Sydney Tabletop Gamers in the city.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SydneyTabletopGames/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whale
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:

There is a website called "MEETUP.COM" that charges a fairly large monthly fee to host a group page, basically a guild page like on the geek but hosted to a much larger group of people. I'm not exactly happy with having the cheapest plan cost 80aud (60usd) every 6 months, but was going to pay it, but the site not accepting PayPal and requiring me to dump my credit card details into their database is a bit of a deal breaker.

As I mentioned above, try the Gamelovers group. Brandon, the group owner, is currently paying for the group and you just post up individual or recurring events in the group. It is worth dropping him a message as a courtesy first.

In my previous post my link was to the Northside gamers event. I should have linked the Gamelovers group main page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
thanks for all the help guys.. .I'm going to look into some of these suggestions... I'm not particularly keen to make a facebook account though.. so we will try the other options first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
thanks for all the help guys.. .I'm going to look into some of these suggestions... I'm not particularly keen to make a facebook account though.. so we will try the other options first.

Why are you not keen to make a facebook account? nobody is forcing you to put a bunch of personal data into it.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
We were talking about it at Northside Gamers last night too.

I love BGG just for the sheer scale of the site and the enormous volume of information you can find here. But for new people it can be terribly intimidating and difficult to navigate. It is also so vast, it is near impossible to find some things.

Meetup was initially one of the reasons our club expanded, many years ago, but it is not an ideal place for us, plus it is expensive and all our clubs are combined into a mass group and we don't always check it, so it often looks like not many people are attending, which can be a turn-off.

I know Facebook has proven very successful for UNSBG and Sydney Tabletop, and most everyone I know has an account. It is free, open, accessible and quite controllable.

Unfortunately, there isn't one single place where info about all the clubs in Sydney can be found. As a wider group we have been discussing it, but there are just so many potential channels for people to search.

Our club is doing quite well - we regularly have 20+ people each Tuesday night, but we are also thinking of establishing a FB presence too, just to broaden our potential audience.

The more exposure the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Australia
Hornsby
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second what Craig said.

When we initially set up UNSBG a little over a year ago, we went with all three options at once: BGG guild, Facebook group and Meetup group.

Our initial core group of 10-20 people mostly came from BGG, but it wasn't from putting up threads seeking new members - it was from geekmails we sent to people in the local area, who we found via the location search functionality.

But after that it was the Facebook group that definitely brought the most growth. We currently have 56 members of our BGG guild and 152 members of our Facebook group. That's where all our discussions tend to happen, photos go up, new people pop in and say hi, etc. People tend to find us there much more easily than they find us on BGG. We do have some members who are exclusively on BGG, but the rest of us tend to use Facebook more. We tend to get about 30 people at most of our events - sometimes more - and there's only one regular attendee I can think of (off the top of my head) who only uses BGG.

We also have 149 members of our Meetup group, but there's tended to be a fairly low conversion rate (i.e. lots of people join the group on there, but not many of them actually show up at our events). I'll probably keep it going, as it does bring in some new people, but it's not crucial.

Another thing to note is that - in my experience at least - the demographics of gamers (and gamer 'types') tends to be a bit different across the different platforms. So expanding beyond BGG can be a useful way of broadening the demographics of your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
We do not want to go that big. All we want is 4 regulars and to be able to field 6 now and then. So basically looking for 2 or 3 more players.

earlyworm wrote:
it wasn't from putting up threads seeking new members - it was from geekmails we sent to people in the local area, who we found via the location search functionality.

This is a great idea.. I didn't think of it.. People wouldn't consider that spaming would they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Australia
Hornsby
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough.

I don't think people would mind receiving a geekmail from a local gamer inviting them to a game night - certainly nobody seemed to mind when we did it. I reckon just stick to your suburb and the ones directly surrounding it, so it's likely to be directly relevant to the recipients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.