Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

We're about to get a metric ton of new Cry Havoc players as the pre-order copies arrive and the retailers get their copies. Just wanted to quickly chime in with some notes on where things are headed!

Firstly, if you have questions about the rules, we have an Official FAQ in the file section. Give that a look -- it hopefully has your answer. We'll be supporting it further.

Secondly, I wrote a guide that explains and provides example for every Skill and Structure in the game. Portal is proofing it now. Not sure when it'll be ready, or its format, but we wrote it, we're working on it.

Thirdly, massive thanks to the experienced folks helping me with answering rules questions. I appreciate it immensely.

Fourthly, Rodney Smith of Watch it Played created a fantastic video teaching you to play Cry Havoc, as well as four videos covering full rounds in a game of Cry Havoc agains this son. Those are all here on BGG and on YouTube. Give them a watch as they should really explain all the concepts.

Finally, I've begun work on a series of strategy guides for Cry Havoc. Every faction, tips, tricks, strategies, weaknesses. These will take a little bit as I'm writing the drafts, the Portal test team will also provide insight and edits, but we'll get them to you.

Uh, I think that's it. Thanks for your support and your feedback so far. We're going to keep trying to be active here on the boards for you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff Grant, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the help and insight Grant. You are by far the best designer I have seen at answering everyone's questions. Looking forward fo those guides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks grant, love the 3 plays I've had so far!

I know this isn't the time or place but any insight on the perceived (and imho accurate ) imbalances with the humans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Thanks grant, love the 3 plays I've had so far!

I know this isn't the time or place but any insight on the perceived (and imho accurate ) imbalances with the humans?

Glad you're enjoying it. As I noted in that thread (and probably many others), and as Ignacy noted:

1. Cry Havoc is not a simple game. Lots of asymmetry, lots of abilities, and it's a lightning quick game.

2. Some factions are easier to play than others, and some player personality types may fit some factions more than others.

3. There may be some match ups (i.e. if you're randomizing which skills are dealt) that are tougher than others. But, I still think the game tends to be fair, and more experienced players (again, complex, big game) will see that they need to team up against some opponents here and there.

A LOT of people are about to get Cry Havoc. Just a few hundred have it right now. Maybe the data will show that we got it right? Maybe a ton of people will prove that we're wrong? No matter what, we'll be here to support the game, our players, our community. We love Cry Havoc and want you to have fun with it.

grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks grant, it really is a super fun game! And I'm sure alot of the early issues come from inexperience.

I'm sure excited for the expansion (new factions please!) Possibilities !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
I add what I've written somewhere else: you can also count on the designer (the OP) to answer all your questions lightningfast!

And don't be put off by the amount of FAQ and/or rules question.
It doesn't mean the game's fiddly and/or badly wrtitten, it just comes with the fact that it's fresh AND deep as hell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant,

laugh It may be tough right now with all the early reactions, but don't be discouraged. Although I haven't played yet, it seemed that that guy who posted the negative video complained about things which ignored the rules as is. For example, his "there are not enough cards" vs the four terrain decks that add to what you can pull to increase your hand. Hang in there buddy, and thanks for all the very early game support. Even though I missed out at GenCon, I'll be getting my retail copy ASAP!

PS: You might want to list which faction match ups are easier and harder at the different player counts for new players too, to help avoid initial discouragement for those with a short attention span!

I'm looking forward to more factions already, some day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Baker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant,

Whom should I contact if I have an issue with my copy of Cry Havoc? I got my pre-order from Portal Games yesterday. It has two sets of Trog minis and no Machine Army minis. I live in the United States, so I wasn't sure if I needed to contact Portal directly (and which way would be most effective) or if there was a 3rd party handling customer service in the States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyobari wrote:
Grant,

Whom should I contact if I have an issue with my copy of Cry Havoc? I got my pre-order from Portal Games yesterday. It has two sets of Trog minis and no Machine Army minis. I live in the United States, so I wasn't sure if I needed to contact Portal directly (and which way would be most effective) or if there was a 3rd party handling customer service in the States.

That stinks. That sounds like a manufacturing error, which happens in like 1-2% of copies. Unlucky dice roll. I would contact Portal Games directly. If you do not hear back, which I don't expect to be the case, but just in case, tell me and I'll pursue it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.