Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This strikes me as the toughest hurdle for solo play in this game. Certainly in solo play a lot of the intrigue and guessing-second guessing, bluffing and such will be lost. But tactical advantage is a big deal, and I'm having a hard time thinking of how to incorporate the use of G2 markers in a solo game. I considered something like if the allies choose one, the Germans roll to see if they also choose one. Then if the allies play one the Germans roll to see if they answer. Or maybe make the allies roll randomly for which combat they use it in. Stuff like that. I'm wondering if any smarter (than me) gamers have thought about this at all and would care to share their thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

When I was testing the game by myself to make sure the engine worked, I would make it normal practice for both sides to pick 1 G2 marker in their next-turn picks at turn end, unless....
- the Allies in my opinion had an overriding need to repair or reorganize units (in which case they would pick a G1 in its place) but
- the Germans would always pick one, since it was worthwhile to have even when they planned to do an attack.

The Allies would use the G2 in the first combat chosen, and the Germans would also play one if they had one. If the Allies didn't use it, the Germans would if they did an attack.
Or I would do it differently if I felt like it...I was trying stuff out, pretending to be two people playing the game, not a lonely guy trying to fool himself.

Say as the Allies I'd be planning two big attacks for next turn, so I would pick two G2s, two G3s and three G4s, use the G2s in the big attacks to get tactical advantage on one or maybe both of them, and so on...

But inevitably any game that has any hidden information will lose that bluffing and second-guessing quality if you play it alone.
Your die roll ideas sound quite workable, I'd probably do it that way if I wanted to keep me on my toes....

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also thinking of a rule that lets the Germans take a conditional G2/G3 (for tactical reaction, I love that rule) and let a die roll decide which one they have when the moment comes.

As a solo player I find myself leaning toward the Allies, but in face to face play I'd really like to try the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a good idea too.

If you are playing solo, it is probably best to "take" the Allies as it is essentially a race against time.

I agree in a face to face match being the German might be the more interesting... so the only fair way to go about it is to play two games, and switch roles!
That's a big reason why I try to put as much asymmetry as possible in my games.... learn the other viewpoint.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

I agree in a face to face match being the German might be the more interesting... so the only fair way to go about it is to play two games, and switch roles!

Brian

I would say that is definitely so if you use the optional Reaction Rule. For my money, that should just be a rule. It makes the Germans a lot harder to deal with in some ways, but also requires more thoughtful decisions about how to allocate the small number of chits they get to have. Too much to do, not enough to do it with.

In a 1/3 solo play so far, where I made a major mistake (I allowed recovering tactical units to participate in operations), this game seems at least the equal of Bulge 20, one of my very favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, it has a good lineage!

Thanks, glad you are enjoying it.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of a wrinkle to add here. I'm using die rolls to determine if the Germans make the optimal use of any G2, G3 or G4 markers when attacked, if they have a choice. I've added a rule that any side may play an unused G2 marker to automatically "win" the next die roll. The G2 can only be used if it was selected and for some reason not used. For the Germans there might not have been an attack to use it with. For the allies the results of one attack may have led them not to use it. I'm not allowing a side to select a G2 with the intention of playing it in that way. I see this as an attempt to utilize the marker for operational intelligence.

I'm forced to do use a house rule for that, until the promised atomic clock arrives and I can accurately time my glances at the enemy OOB mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.