28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: I don't know how to feel... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Big
msg tools
Not one of my friends has enjoyed the game. I've been waiting months to get this, over a year almost. I had believed everyone would go mad with it! In reality, I see bored faces and people staring at their phones...am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? Are they?

Has anyone had this problem as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You clearly have terrible friends. You need to change your phone number, move to a new city and start over. It's the only way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks. Some of my friends weren't in to it, but enough were that it became a staple in parts. IDK, if you're not embracing the unknown and silly adventure stuff, it might feel a bit dry, not really sure what else to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not every game is going to go over well with every group. It really depends on what their gaming preferences are. If they're not big on rolling dice for nearly every single action and sometimes callous/arbitrary deaths, they may not have a good time.

I would think RPG players would transition well into the game, but they may also find it hard to enjoy the game because it goes against alot of the basic tropes in the RPG genre. It'd be as if you built a D&D campaign around the stereotypical starting tavern and said, "Fuck the heroes and fuck the plot" and proceeded to kill their characters off one by one each session while they stood by, hoping for a lucky roll.

I think it's easy for gamers to get bored with a game if they don't feel like they have any control over anything. If I'm in a railroady game session where it's readily apparent that I'm just a warm bodied dice-rolling machine whose only job is to push the train down the track, I'm going to lose interest.

Or they could be more casual gamers who don't want to put the time into an extended multi-week/month campaign. That's not a bad thing, that's probably the majority of gamers in the hobby anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
game works best with 1 or 2 people. Best to just either play solo or find 1 person whom likes the game

The game is very random and very thematic, also very long and repetitive.

It certainly isnt for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janbig wrote:
Not one of my friends has enjoyed the game. I've been waiting months to get this, over a year almost. I had believed everyone would go mad with it! In reality, I see bored faces and people staring at their phones...am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? Are they?

Without knowing details, it's hard to say if you were doing anything wrong. What parts were people getting their phones out? Long waits during the showdown phase while rules were checked? While reading the First Story text?

If you could give a rundown of your first session, and any feedback they gave you, we might be able to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Harsh reality is that this is not the game that will be universally loved. Playing solo always an option. Though looking for similar minded people even on forums or local game groups is your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For such a narrative and dark-themed game, you really need people that can set their moods / attitudes accordingly to enjoy the ride. I have always had a blast with the people I played it with (full of epic moments), but I can understand why this isn't a game for everyone. For me it is like playing a sort of RPG: you need people to become involved with the story, or otherwise it won't work.

Try asking everyone to turn their mobiles off as an alternative XD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should feel cold and afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is honestly how I feel when I am about to introduce a new game with different mechanics or theme to my gaming group.

I can only imagine how much worse it feels after making such a huge finacial investment into this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play solo so I can't help you to much. You could try converting just one at first. Once they are converted they will not want to play anything else. KDM is like any other game in that you need to invest some time in learning the rules before you can start enjoying things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

There are parts of the game that are great, brilliant even. But other parts are nothing to write home about. The main part of the game is the combat and the options open to players in battles are very limited. It's not really much of a tactical combat game at all. The thing that makes fights interesting is how the enemy AI works - for some baddies this leads to really interesting battles and for others it really doesn't.

The brutal randomness is going to piss some people off too.

But with the right group of players it'll be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only ever played with one other person, but I knew he'd enjoy it. My girlfriend gets a kick out of my raging over drawing Murder for the millionth time, but there is no way she would ever enjoy this game. Sad reality is not everyone is going to like it whether it be theme, mechanics, length or something else.

Agricola is my greatest regret. I love the game, but it's either met with ambivalence or straight up disdain the two times I've whipped it out. The only reason it gets played is because I have all the games so once a year I whip it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:

There are parts of the game that are great, brilliant even. But other parts are nothing to write home about. The main part of the game is the combat and the options open to players in battles are very limited. It's not really much of a tactical combat game at all. The thing that makes fights interesting is how the enemy AI works - for some baddies this leads to really interesting battles and for others it really doesn't.

I don't know about that. Yeah the lion and to a degree antelope don't have much tactics, they are definitely the intro to the game. But other monsters and level 2 and above... Wow. Its not just that they have such well done different styles of combat, but you really need to fight them in different ways. Equipping everyone with the best you can afford and going in hacking thinking your only real choices are when to use survival and what order to attack will get you dead against a lot of monsters.

My gaming group is pretty much warhammer players only and we have played that for 15+ years, but all rarely have time to get together anymore. So while they are interested in the game and like the models there is simply no way we could ever get a campaign going past the first few turns. I did introduce my girlfriend to it though she does not have much gaming experience and she has really got into it, so we play 2 player as often as we have the time and energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:

I don't know about that. Yeah the lion and to a degree antelope don't have much tactics, they are definitely the intro to the game. But other monsters and level 2 and above... Wow. Its not just that they have such well done different styles of combat, but you really need to fight them in different ways. Equipping everyone with the best you can afford and going in hacking thinking your only real choices are when to use survival and what order to attack will get you dead against a lot of monsters.

My gaming group is pretty much warhammer players only and we have played that for 15+ years, but all rarely have time to get together anymore. So while they are interested in the game and like the models there is simply no way we could ever get a campaign going past the first few turns. I did introduce my girlfriend to it though she does not have much gaming experience and she has really got into it, so we play 2 player as often as we have the time and energy.

Yeah, I suppose that's kind of my point. The interesting thing about the fighting is finding out how each creature works and coming up with the best equipment and tactics to deal with it. Cos beyond that there's hardly anything to it - move 5 spaces on a mostly featureless square grid (not even diagonal movement is allowed) and roll to hit. There's hardly any terrain.

But the concept of the AI deck is great and with some of the creatures it's implemented really well. I'm playing a mate's copy and there's loads of creatures I haven't faced yet, but some of the ones we have faced have had an AI deck that leads to, frankly, boring fights.

But that's not to say I'm not enjoying the game though. It's got an evocative mood and I'm really liking the whole surviving against the odds aspect to it. The design of the monsters is impressively grotesque and some of the mechanics are such a good idea. But it's definitely not the sort of game where everyone who plays it is going to be blown away by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing you can do to make them like it again as the first impression is crucial.

But that's alright if you consider it as your own personal solo game.
It's perfectly enjoyable solo and you will not depend on others to get through these many lantern years.

You might even develop a taste for solo games and find another way to enjoy your evenings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, same here. The thing that surprised me is even I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I considered getting some new people to try it, but most people haven't heard of it, and if they Google it, the first thing they see is the official website with that silly multi-boobed wet nurse model.

I mostly just played it solo, and that was sort of okay-ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
For such a narrative and dark-themed game, you really need people that can set their moods / attitudes accordingly to enjoy the ride...

I disagree. Our group has more of a comedic attitude, and we love the game as well.

We like horror games, but when you've got a table of four+ of us, there's simply no way we aren't making jokes most of the time.

Most of us have RPG and Miniatures game backgrounds, and this game scratches those itches very well.

I honestly haven't found anyone of our friends who doesn't love this game, but I suppose not every game is for everyone. There are games that others love that I really do not, so I guess fair is fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sutherland
United States
Union City
Michigan
flag msg tools
odinsgrandson wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:
For such a narrative and dark-themed game, you really need people that can set their moods / attitudes accordingly to enjoy the ride...

I disagree. Our group has more of a comedic attitude, and we love the game as well.

We like horror games, but when you've got a table of four+ of us, there's simply no way we aren't making jokes most of the time.

Most of us have RPG and Miniatures game backgrounds, and this game scratches those itches very well.

I honestly haven't found anyone of our friends who doesn't love this game, but I suppose not every game is for everyone. There are games that others love that I really do not, so I guess fair is fair.

I'll have to agree with this. I've introduced this game to two different groups now, and while my main campaign group is serious about it and we're progressing through the years (mostly) intact, the second group took a much more lighthearted approach to it just due to how they play the games. Honestly I haven't laughed quite as much or as hard in a long time as I was while playing the early years with this second group in the middle of my LGS.

It all just varies from group to group, so try finding the one that'll match your expectations for what you want out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saoshyant 4329 wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:

I'll have to agree with this. I've introduced this game to two different groups now, and while my main campaign group is serious about it and we're progressing through the years (mostly) intact, the second group took a much more lighthearted approach to it just due to how they play the games. Honestly I haven't laughed quite as much or as hard in a long time as I was while playing the early years with this second group in the middle of my LGS.

It all just varies from group to group, so try finding the one that'll match your expectations for what you want out of the game.

If you're not laughing along with this game then you're crying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadness. I have the opposite problem, with more people wanting to play than we have spots for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
I have less personal time to play, than i would like. Also, 3 different groups want to play, and so far only played with 2. The other group is my LGS, and even one was willing to PAY to have a session, but i havent had the time to do so in the last 4 months (they are only available on Saturdays, and i usually have my Saturdays busy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
janbig wrote:

Damn man... that really sucks. I feel for yah.

On the bright side this game is fantastic solo, especially since it takes quite a while to beat a campaign even when everything goes right for you.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
IT WON'T

I had a couple games going on concurrently and friends just kinda fell off playing it regularly at all, so I just spun up one of my own and had a blast chipping away at it. Still wish I coulda done more games with friends, but holding out that they will join me when I start the expansions .

If you are in/near Maryland I'll play with yah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Kim
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I have a mixed reaction from my gaming group.
Some liked it and some did not.
I guess there is no perfect game that is meant for everyone.
Personally, I really like the game and playing with just another person,
each controlling two characters was not so bad.
It was much better than trying to track all four characters by myself.
All in all though, I don't like when someone on the table plays with phone while playing any game as it seems rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
janbig wrote:

Kingdom Death is MINE, MY OWN! I tried playing it with a buddy and he enjoyed it, but we both agreed because that it's best played solo.

I bought it with the intention of playing it solo. Since I'm a competitive person, I only play competitive games with other people, never co-op.
Some people lack the ability to absorb themselves into something as thematic as KD.

Play it solo and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.