1 , 2  Next »   | 

Forbidden Stars» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth the cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I don't mean production value; I hear the production value is stellar. But is it actually fun enough for you to recommend it to others despite the pricetag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that any advice given would be subjective, all I can say is that after going through the rules and playing a test game to see how the various game mechanics/rules work in practise, I cannot wait until I can organise a game against an opponent(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2.500 BGG-users own this game and 2.200 ratings are 7 or higher. So there is your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars is my favorite game of this kind.

This means that I rate it higher than I rate Blood Rage, Kemet, Cyclades, Hyperborea, Clash of Cultures and Game of Thrones.

Of course there are many different opinions, but this really is an amazing game design and it broke my heart that the game will not get the originally planned four-faction standalone-expansion to increase variability exponentially.

But as it stands, I still think it is better than the games I mentioned above. It is amazing, pricey but amazing. I really hope that Fantasy Flight will retheme it to another universe or build Game of Thrones 3rd Edition (with modular board!) based on mechanisms in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommended.
It is worth the cost in components and in unique experience that the mechanic offers.

First game we were all fresh so it took us 8h yet all of us even those who were run over enjoyed it and wanted more as the game was in balance through nearly the whole game, until thanks to Eldar trickery the game was won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Andersson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
I didn't like it. As is typical for most FFG games, it has overwrought, needlessly complicated combat resolution systems tacked onto an otherwise fine game. It disrupts the tempo and tacks on a good hour extra to the game, for no actual benefit.

I also suspect that the ratings are inflated due to selection bias. People who know they are going to like the game are the ones who bought and rated it, while people on the fence probably decided to give it a pass due to the very steep price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good game but won't appeal to a big audience, it has some of the best combat mechanics I have ever played. One minute you are loosing the battle then you can turn it around with clever card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is amazing, but as others have mentioned you need to understand what you are getting into. It can be long, and it is an extremely aggressive game.

That being said, the stack-based order system allows for very interesting board play, and the combat is very unique and fun. I would suggest taking a look at some of the videos and reviews out there to see if it is of interest to you. Just be aware that because the game is permanently going out of print, it is becoming more difficult to find a copy at a reasonable price every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I already picked it up because it's going OOP, but I'm still wondering if I should just resell it. It looks neat, but I already have Twilight Imperium for 6+ hour space wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
I already picked it up because it's going OOP, but I'm still wondering if I should just resell it. It looks neat, but I already have Twilight Imperium for 6+ hour space wars.
It is not like TI3 at all. Everything in this game is focused on fighting and getting/stopping others from getting objectives. This game is also closer to 3-4 hours unless you play a 4 player game with slow people. It is also a MUCH better game for 2/3 players than TI3.

Honestly if you are interested in the game, just open it and have a go. With it going OOP, the difference in resale between new and like new likely won't be that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:

FS is not TI3. Structurally TI3 and FS may share a lot of similarities: map construction at the beginning. Space ships, activating tiles to move units etc. But those are all superficial.

FS is an aggressive combat game that happens to have some resource management. You will be in each other's faces starting in Round 1. Your home system may burn and you don't care. You may finish in 2 hours, or drag it out to 4.

So yes, there's room for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better than I thought it would be. I bought it solely for the theme and the components (and I generally like dudes on a map games and variable player powers). That said, I've really enjoyed it.

We played 3-player last week (which I swore I would never do) and it was a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
islan wrote:
I don't mean production value; I hear the production value is stellar. But is it actually fun enough for you to recommend it to others despite the pricetag?

I absolutely love this game, but one thing to consider is if you have a group of players who will play it with you. Alas, I am not able to find anyone else locally who will play it with me after the first game. Too much of a time sink for people I know who like thematic games (2 hours max for them), and too much randomness for people I know willing to play longer games. I wish I could get this game out more, but Eclipse seems to fit better for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
When I heard of the loss of the Games Workshop license my absolute first thought was "I need to buy Forbidden Stars now.". I've only had one play, but it was interesting and thematic enough that I knew I had to own it... eventually. Well now eventually isn't an option so lentils and rice for the rest of the month it is!

As for comparisons to Twilight Imperium, there's definitely space for both in a collection, mostly because Forbidden Stars is far less of an event game and therefore a bit easier to get to the table, though as others have mentioned the slightly heavier focus on combat is also a thing. Something people haven't mentioned, probably because it really depends on the group, is that the theme also happens to be pretty rich in the game. Add in the fact that Warhammer is so well known as a world, this means it's pretty easy to get "in character" which for my money is a big check mark in the game's favour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're uncertain, just buy it now. It'll remain good, it will become a grail game for some, so much is nearly certain. If you play it and find that you don't enjoy it, you can always re-sell it at a profit later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had it. Tried it. Traded it. Don't regret it.

It's an ok game compared to something like twilight imperium, but it's still got a lot of rules upfront and lots of downtime between turns.

I'd go with Kemet for a more engaging, similar experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Best game released the last two years, maybe more. I had more fun with Blood Rage, because it is a lower learning curve however. Forbidden Stars in incredible and absolutely worth it unless you already own StarCraft. The combat system is something I look forward to. There is a time and a place for simple or random combat. Its not in a game focused on combat and conquest which this one is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D'Amico
United States
Milford
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been out for a while. Are you interested now because it will be out of print?

I know, for example, that I've had my eye on Fury of Dracula since before the 3rd edition came out. I assumed I would grab it at some point but when it was part of the list of games being discontinued, I started looking to pick it up. Most of the online retailers were already sold out and I was seeing the prices being jacked from 3rd party sellers. I had the opportunity to grab a copy through Boardgame Bliss but ultimately passed because it was going to be more than I wanted to pay, even though the urge was strong knowing it could be a while (or never) before it gets another reprint.

Truth is even though I was interested, in my mind I had a price I was willing to pay (or trade) for it, considering it was readily available for a while.

As it stands, amazon was still listing them at $46, with an unconfirmed delivery date. So I ordered it at that price. The most recent email I received said I should have it by the 20th, but I'd be surprised if it shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is amazing, in my top 10 for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Norris
Denmark
Viborg
flag msg tools
?
badge
Sorry, I dont eat mouse cursors
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
But is it actually fun enough for you to recommend it to others despite the pricetag?

Now that FFG is losing the Warhammer license, they will for sure re-skin (or re-theme) it.

For a game in the more expensive end, then I would buy the new version (when and if they publish it). Instead of an expensive game that needs alot added to be worth the money.

So I think you should wait for the re-themed/re-skinned version.

It was clearly a game FFG planned to invest alot of development into expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
this game is amazing, in my top 10 for sure

"+1"

I like it so much, I bought [2] copies. We play 5-6 player as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JNorris wrote:
Game of Thrones (ver 0) - 2003
Starcraft (ver 1) - 2007
Forbidden Stars (ver 2) - 2015

It might be a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
JNorris wrote:
Starcraft (ver 1) - 2007

It might be a while.

Why is Game of Thrones on here? Starcraft didn't come from Game of Thrones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
JNorris wrote:
Starcraft (ver 1) - 2007

It might be a while.

Why is Game of Thrones on here? Starcraft didn't come from Game of Thrones...
The order system began in Game of Thrones and was then reworked (improved) for Starcraft. The games are definitely a lot more different than Starcraft and Forbidden Stars, but it was the progenitor of the system.

Edit: How about this: An objective-based area control game that uses hidden order tokens for player actions, has a primarily card driven combat system, and uses end of round events to semi-randomly affect board state. What game am I describing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.