14 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: when to move onto the next elder one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I love this game but I'm terrible at it,I never know what to concentrate on, close gates, fight monsters, complete rumours etc. only played solo so far controlling 2 investigators. I've played 10 games against Azathoth, and lost them all, I'm not after any strategies how to easily defeat it. I'm just wondering whether or no to try a different elder one to keep the game fresh. Does it matter which elder one you face in order ? I've just ordered some of the arkham dice to see if that helps. :-). I've heard people buy the normal arkham dice, (white or black, which I've ordered) but also the blessed and cursed dice, how are they different? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the dice are tampered with, I don't think they will help very much (maybe just to get you more into the story!). Try the other Ancient Ones, and see what will happen. We've won 1 of 2 games but we made a couple of huge mistakes in the 2nd game and should have lost! i think winning in this game is the exception, so don't stress over it. just have fun playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks. yeah, I need to chill out while playing against Azathoth. . I was joking about the dice though, they just look like they'll add to the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 10 games, move on. Try Shub-Niggurath or Yog-Sothoth.

And try to bring a friend in, so you can run 4 investigators. It's a bit easier that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
When we (wifey & I) first played that game, we lost the first couple of games against Azatoth. But the more you play, the more feel you'll get for the game and the easier it will become. In the end, you'll be bored playing against Azatoth meeple

Note that adding Forsaken Lore makes the game slightly harder, adding Mountains of Madness reverses that process. goo

EDIT: You can always steer the game to harder or easier by limiting the number of "hard" and "easy" Mythos cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely try other Ancient Ones!

Firstly, Azathoth isn't the easiest of the base game's 4. Yog-Sothoth is typically considered the easiest, although for me personally, that title goes to Shub-Niggurath: I've never lost against her. Cthulhu is definitely the hardest, but both of the others are good to try out against. Azathoth is simply recommended as your starting point because it's the simplest mechanically - minimal bits to remember while playing, and no waking up effect to worry about. If you've played a bunch, you're ready to add in some mechanical complexity, so don't worry about that.

Secondly, there's absolutely no requirements on ordering with any of the Ancient Ones - every single one is complete independent and can be played at any time in any order.

Give one of the others a try and see how you fare, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blessed Dice have an Elder Sign graphic on the 4-5-6, as you will gain a success on a 4-6. The Cursed Dice have the graphic on the 6 only, as you fail a roll on anything but a 6. Other than that they are just dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, I also lost 4 or 5 first games of EH against Azathoth and I consider myself an Arkham veteran (Azathoth is quite easy in AH).

If you don't want to give up to big A, you might want to consider adding more investigators, I think 4 is good number to start with. I mostly play Eldritch solo with 4 investigators.

First games I also played using random investigators like I do in AH but it really wasn't that fun with this game so try to choose your team carefully, a balanced team is better than a team excelling in just thing.

If the game still feels too tough you might also try using the staged mythos variant (first mythos cards easy, then medium and hard for stage 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
The Blessed Dice have an Elder Sign graphic on the 4-5-6, as you will gain a success on a 4-6. The Cursed Dice have the graphic on the 6 only, as you fail a roll on anything but a 6. Other than that they are just dice.

Ah, but you are mistaken. The blessed dice are blessed by some entity (either imaginary or real), and the cursed dice are cursed by some entity (imaginary or real, the same or a different entity).

That, and not the odd numbers thing you mentioned (what's that for anyway), is what makes them roll more or less successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
The Wrong One wrote:

Ah, but you are mistaken. The blessed dice are blessed by some entity (either imaginary or real), and the cursed dice are cursed by some entity (imaginary or real, the same or a different entity).

That, and not the odd numbers thing you mentioned (what's that for anyway), is what makes them roll more or less successes.

That's why I no longer use them - I converted to the CuCu Dice - they are brilliant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give 4 investigators solo a try! It's a bit more space but not too bad (until the end when they all have a lot of stuff!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp

Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
msg tools
mbmb
Don't forget you can adjust the difficulty of the game down by pulling some of the tentacle (hard) Mythos cards out of the deck before creating your Mythos deck. I typically pull 1-2 tentacle Mythos cards of each color out of the deck before each game to make it a little bit easier but not too easy. I still had a game with 6 tentacle cards the other day despite pulling out 2 of each color, although I was still able to win due to outlandish dice rolling that game haha.

If you don't mind losing more often then keep on keeping on, but I prefer to keep about a 50-60% win rate when I play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, Azathtoth is no more after today, i'm now equipped with my new dice, or so I keep telling myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one love how hard teh game is. We have played 6-7 times, only won once while fighting Shub Niggrath. Its more about the journey and the story thats told.

Love the game tho, its so long we dont get to bring it to the table as often as I would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.