6 Posts

Swords & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spell casting limitations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
[12.11] "..., there is no limit on the number of Spells that an individual Character may cast in a game or Player-Turn."

Question: Does 12.11 mean that a character can cast multiple instances of the same spell in a single player turn?

Argument for "Yes"

[12.47] includes "..., Dispell Magicks may be thrown immediately after another Player has a Character cast one of the listed Spells."

If Dispell Magicks attempts to cancel only one spell then the non phasing player would only be able to attempt to cancel one spell per turn if he's not allowed to cast multiple instances of Dispell Magicks.

Argument for "No"

[12.23] includes "A Character may cast this Spell more than once in a single Game-Turn, ..."

This wouldn't be needed if 12.11 already allowed it.

Wondering how other players interpret this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that the game is strategic in nature and a turn appears to consist of several days, the only limitation I ever considered in regards to spell casting was the finite number of manna points of the caster as stated in [12.11].

With of course any specific exceptions such as the mentioned [12.23] where it is specifically stated that a caster can cast no other spells other than other conjure spells when that character is summoning conjured units on that turn. Presumably these spells require a ritual area to be set up as well as considerable effort and concentration that precludes the casting of other non-conjure spells.

Finally, I think your argument for "No" being "A Character may cast this Spell more than once in a single Game-Turn, ..." is rather just a players note or clarification to the reader so they understand that they can use the spell in question to bring in as many conjured units as they have manna for in one turn. So a clarification, rather than a rule, probably added because a question arose during playtesting regarding the number of troops you can summon in one turn.

The reason I feel this is the case is because of the way that SPI rules were laid out, their rule 'system' as it were. If there were a limitation regarding the number of times a spell can be cast in a turn it would have been in the lead-in Case to the rule section in question, i.e. the 12.1 Case. Then specific exceptions for things would be added under later descriptions, such as being in a specific hex to cast this spell for example.

If you really want to start scratching your head with regard to these rules, wait until you get to some of the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply Chris. I did have another argument for "No" that I forgot to type in the original post.

[12.22] Cost: 2 Manna Points per hexside

That's just one example of many spells where the cost of the spell in manna points is variable depending on how much of the spell effect you require.

If the designers intended multiple instances of the same spell in a single turn why have this variable cost? Wouldn't the spell have a fixed cost for a fixed amount of spell effect and the player casts the number of that spell needed to achieve the desired total effect subject to their manna pool?

The specific game instance this relates to is where a player has cast two Force Wall spells (total cost 4mp) in the one turn to create two force walls. If the opponent wishes to negate this via Dispel Magicks they have to cast two Dispel Magicks (total cost 6mp).

In contrast if one Force Wall spell is cast creating two force walls the total cost is still 4mp but the cost to negate is one Dispel Magicks spell at 3mp.

I think the problem arises because Dispel Magicks has been written to cover multiple spell effects and is worded as a counter to a spell overall rather than per effect of a spell. So for example it counters Force Wall as a whole rather than countering a single force wall created by Force Wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris that you can cast the same spell as many times you wish in the same turn. The limit is the Mana Points.

If there was a limit it would have been explicitly stated in the rules.

Or if this still troubles you, just go and ask the designer, he logs in BGG regularily:
Greg Costikyan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Costikyan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure that mana was intended to be the only limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
costik wrote:
It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure that mana was intended to be the only limit.

Thanks Greg!

Awesome game. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.