GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 81.92

5,470 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.5% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Dennis Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
We're going to SPIEL for the first time and really looking forward to it.

I've read the FAQ and the various threads in this section. I haven't found a list of games, which we should give some particular attention.

Do you have any advice or suggestions of anything we should check out?

Thank you :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Tavernier
Belgium
ELLEZELLES
Hainaut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check out the list of lists: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193588/spiel-2016-preview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing anything about you, your taste, or your gaming group.... No.

There are several lists you could look through.

Maybe SPIEL 2016 Preview Index: Ordered by Thumbs (2016-09-11) could be interesting for you.

Or justEssen 2016 collection of lists for many lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will also be my first time. I'd like to limit my spending (and shipping!) budget to games that I won't be able to easily buy in the U.S. Do you have any suggestions for a strategy for doing that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to give you any general advice. Just have fun there and try out a lot of games and get the ones you really like. People have very different tastes so don't listen to any one person.

I've included the Top 25 games from my tool "SPIEL Together" to give you some idea what games are very anticipated in general. I hope that helps out a little

Top 25 Games (as of 13/9/2016)

1. A Feast for Odin
2. Terraforming Mars
3. Great Western Trail
4. Codenames: Pictures
5. Inis
6. Fields of Green
7. Guilds of London
8. The Colonist
9. First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet
10. The Oracle of Delphi
11. Key to the City – London
12. Cottage Garden
13. Colony
14. Bios: Genesis
15. Scythe
16. Jórvík
17. Cry Havoc
18. Ave Roma
19. Kanagawa
20. Multiuniversum
21. Power Grid: The Card Game
22. The Networks
23. Kingdomino
24. Martians: A Story of Civilization
25. Fabled Fruit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Tavernier
Belgium
ELLEZELLES
Hainaut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
It will also be my first time. I'd like to limit my spending (and shipping!) budget to games that I won't be able to easily buy in the U.S. Do you have any suggestions for a strategy for doing that?

Avoid the 'big' publishers... Explore the 'little' independant publishers and game designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first year. I made sure I had a list of the games I wanted to check out along with their booth numbers and an A3 map (well, two... the halls are that big!) with the booths highlighted in yellow so I wouldn't miss out on the things I really wanted to see/pick up.

Don't stick to that though... in two days I just about managed to see everything I wanted to, but that's because I also spent time just stopping by at booths that had space for demos and just playing as and when I could, which was great.

In summary... make sure the must see stuff is listed and findable, but keep an open mind while wandering around the halls. It's great, gutted I can't go this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eldooderino wrote:
Last year was my first year. I made sure I had a list of the games I wanted to check out along with their booth numbers and an A3 map (well, two... the halls are that big!) with the booths highlighted in yellow so I wouldn't miss out on the things I really wanted to see/pick up.

Don't stick to that though... in two days I just about managed to see everything I wanted to, but that's because I also spent time just stopping by at booths that had space for demos and just playing as and when I could, which was great.

In summary... make sure the must see stuff is listed and findable, but keep an open mind while wandering around the halls. It's great, gutted I can't go this year

To organize such a list I recommend the this tool:
http://www.tabletoptogether.com/essen-spiel/

It also shows you at which booth you can find the games and a map with booth highlights is in the works.

The tool is being discussed in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631070/spiel-together-new-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My advice I give to other first timers at Essen is this: "You don't have to buy everything you play or see."

It's so very easy to get totally carried away (kid in a sweetshop) and realise that you have bought waay too many games far too quickly.

That said, there will be 3-4 games that will sellout on Thursday (the new hotness) and if you want those you'll need to move quickly, but just because it's hot doesn't mean it's necessarily good! (Grog Island, I'm looking at you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
My advice I give to other first timers at Essen is this: "You don't have to buy everything you play or see."

It's so very easy to get totally carried away (kid in a sweetshop) and realise that you have bought waay too many games far too quickly.

Probably one of the best bits of advice - unfortunately, it's also the hardest one to remember .

The only exception to this are games from most small first-time publishers. If you like their game but don't want to bite the bullet right there and then, ask them if and where you can buy the game later. Not everything ends up cheap on Amazon two months down the line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:

That said, there will be 3-4 games that will sellout on Thursday (the new hotness) and if you want those you'll need to move quickly, but just because it's hot doesn't mean it's necessarily good! (Grog Island, I'm looking at you).

I fell into the Grog Island trap too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peukon wrote:
EarlyFlash wrote:

I fell into the Grog Island trap too

That was hot? I played it half a year post Essen and was glad that I didn't find a table at Eggert Spiele back then to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
That was hot? I played it half a year post Essen and was glad that I didn't find a table at Eggert Spiele back then to try it out.

It was top of the hotness on BGG for the entirety of Spiel that year. It was really odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
Locu wrote:

It was top of the hotness on BGG for the entirety of Spiel that year. It was really odd.

Wow, what Publisher besides Eggert was doing that game? One next to the BGG booth? But then again, I had it on my watchlist as well, just didn't get to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Mackenzie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've compiled a list of what I think are some of the most interesting, new releases coming out this year. I'm presenting the games in a video series on YouTube. Hopefully you'll find it useful.

(Consider watching at 1.5 speed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thank you very much all of you for the great input!

@Peter: Tusind tak for information (thank you)

@Fraser great video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that kind of question.

Dude 1: "Do you know a good movie?"
Dude 2: "Yeah, Avatar is so great!"
More than 2 hours of CGIgasm later ...
Dude 1: "I hate Dude 2 ..."

No offense. It might inspire some geeks to create special lists for small publishers, rarities, genres, themes ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.