United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently started painting some of my board game components and my friend Chris asked if I would do his Tzolk'in wheels. I have done a couple of (bad) bits of Warhammer 40K when I was around 14 I guess but nothing since then. I recently fancied giving it another go so I bought some paints and brushes and started on my Fury of Dracula minis. They turned out pretty well and since then I've also done my Specter Ops minis and started on Mansions of Madness: Second Edition & Merchants & Marauders. I've also got Scythe waiting to be done and a few more on the way...

Chris has been a real friend to me since I moved to the north and helped me through a lot so I said I'd happily paint them for him.

I started off by priming all the wheels white:

I then painted the main wheel stonewall grey:

I then gave it a good black wash to bring out the detail:

Next was a white dry brush for highlights:

Then starting from the centre I worked my way out filling in all the detail. I used the main colour featured in the game; red, yellow, green & blue but also used some gold and silver for some borders. I filled in the coin spots with gold, highlighted the appropriate teeth blue and orange (and hand painted the exclamation and question marks) to match the stickers, and covered the edge in stonewall grey.

For the small wheels I primed them white, then painted them each in their appropriate colour to match the board art. Then washed them in a darker shade of their colour. I then dry brushed them in a lighter shade. Finally I filled in the spaces for the pawns in a dark colour.

Putting them all together I'm very happy with the results. All in all I think it took me between 6 and 7 hours, I did it all in one go but possibly should've taken my time a little more - there's some areas where my brush work is a bit sloppy but you can only see if you get really close. I think the small red wheel is possibly a little too pink and not terracotta enough.

I believe my friend is planning on obtaining a replacement set of stickers for the middles, with a view to get the 3D printed temples from Shapeways eventually.

This was a really fun project, I learnt a few things from doing it and I'm incredibly proud of how they've turned out.

All paints and washes were from Vajello. If you have any questions (or tips!) please don't hesitate to ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burgess
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IT looks amazing, thank you so much!!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunning thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work. There is a lot of detail in those glyphs, well done!

Far as stickers, the smaller wheels are ok, but I would do something else in the middle. Easily done, but the sticker is not in line at all with the great work you have done... Imho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work. Mine are almost done also - I'm struggling with getting the outer gears 'the color I like'.

Did you seal / poly / or any other protective coat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the feeling! Happy with all of them except red - its far too pink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlastimil Mensik
Czech Republic
Praha 5
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful job!
Could you be so kind and tell the names of the colors? I am planning myself to paint the wheels and as it will be the first paint job I will do, any help can improve it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
CaesarV wrote:
Wonderful job!
Could you be so kind and tell the names of the colors? I am planning myself to paint the wheels and as it will be the first paint job I will do, any help can improve it

No worries. As I said they are all Vallejo paints. I bought the Game Color Introduction Acrylic Paint Set, Model Color Folkstone Basics Acrylic Paint Set and the Wash Set.

I think I used most of these but here's a list:

- Dead White
- Bone White
- Bloody Red
- Carmine Red
- Orange Fire
- Bright Orange
- Sun Yellow
- Deep Yellow
- Dark Green
- Goblin Green
- Dark Prussian Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Stonewall Grey
- Sky Grey
- Black
- Silver
- Polished Gold
- Blue Wash
- Green Wash
- Red Wash
- Black Wash

I made my own yellow wash by just mixing water and paint to the right consistency. I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlastimil Mensik
Czech Republic
Praha 5
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, really fast reply! Thank you very much, now I know, what to get
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.