7 Posts

Fabled Fruit» Forums » General

Subject: TL DR rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This forum is a ghost town despite this game coming out soon, so if someone interested is looking I thought I would post the TL DR rules.

The game is a worker placement recipe filling game. It contains a stack of fruit cards. You collect these to fill recipes.

There are a bunch of cards on the table. Each correspond to a worker placement space. On your turn, you place a guy on a card and do the action (typically draw fruits or steal them from the others). You are allowed to place where someone else is located if you give them a fruit from your hand.

Each card also has a recipe on the bottom, so you can 'claim' the card instead of doing its action by paying the corresponding fruits. Claiming 3 such cards wins the match.

When a card is claimed a new one comes out from a large legacy stack. Thus, when playing the game, you alter which actions are available.

After a match, when you play the next time, you set up the game as it was last time you played. Thus, playing several games will make the game have several different actions available. This is the legacy part of the game, you can of course always reset by rebuilding the big stack.

All this is basically me reposting from the excellent blog post on opinionated gamers https://opinionatedgamers.com/2016/09/02/dale-yu-essen-2016-...
I highly recommend reading that if you are interested in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the summary! I too have been a bit surprised at how little conversation or excitement there seems to be about this game. I'm just waiting for it go up for preorder and then I'm getting it immediately!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
This forum is a ghost town despite this game coming out soon...

This feels like it is going to be a filler game and, in my experience, its unusual for filler games to get a lot of pre-release hype. Just saying.

I suppose the rules will be out soon enough, but the thing I wonder about is what happens to the cards you purchase at the end of the game. Do they go to the bottom of the stack in a particular order or are they permanently removed or do they get put back randomly? When a stack runs out, do you restart at card one or do you have to reset the whole game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards that go out are permanently removed from the game (or at least until you choose to restart the "campaign") you can rip them up but it would be stupid

When the whole stack runs out them campaign is over (however, this will take at least 20 games I think, it is a big stack).

It is actually slightly more complicated than I wrote. There is always four copies of each action in the deck so in the beginning there are 6 available actions. However, when one of those is bougt, that action is still available but a new one comes out so now there are 7. There number of actions can grow a little more. Depending on the order in which you complete the cards, your campaign experience will vary.

You are right, this is filler weight which is probably why it does not excite people that much. I will be interested in seeing if this "legacy" or "fable" style gives a significantly different experience than just selecting say 7 random actions before you play each time. My hope is yes, and I think this could be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Turner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited about it and have read the opinionated gamers piece quite a few times. I've been struggling to find a game that is filler length but still has the legs to stay fresh over many plays. I tend to get bored with games pretty quickly and want to try something new, meanwhile my family gets tired of learning new games. I'm hoping this will allow us to meet in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
The cards that go out are permanently removed from the game (or at least until you choose to restart the "campaign") you can rip them up but it would be stupid

The way I read it on the opinionated gamers, it is suggested to have a "rolling fable" by putting the removed cards back in order at the bottom of the stack. So after card number 60 (or so), you will start back with number 1.

Muemmelmann wrote:
It is actually slightly more complicated than I wrote. There is always four copies of each action in the deck so in the beginning there are 6 available actions. However, when one of those is bougt, that action is still available but a new one comes out so now there are 7. There number of actions can grow a little more. Depending on the order in which you complete the cards, your campaign experience will vary.

Well, If you push it to its limits, you could have up to 24 worker placement spots if you only ever buy n-1 (three, I think) of a kind and leave the last one out.

If you avoid a single recipe, you will also end up with early and late fable cards mixed on the table.

I'm excited to play this as family/gamer bridge game with my kids.

PS:

toliveischrist77 wrote:
I'm just waiting for it go up for preorder

In Germany, you can at least preorder it at spiele-offensive.de.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I mus thave skipped over the rolling fable part. For me, I think it would be satisfying that the campaign has an end. I am also interested in the campaign scoring rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.