Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh» Forums » General

Subject: Frustrated with the tavern bonus tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
We have played with this expansion over 10 times now and everytime the we play we are frustrated with one Tavern bonus tile, where one can move as many places he/she desires horizontally or vertically forever as it has an ongoing effect.

This tile beats the basic mechanic of the game that you move only 2 places and intelligently work your way towards the goal, but having this tile lets a person just zoom around and that gives an overly unfair advantage to the person owing that tile and if every player owns it then it throws the basic movement mechanic of the game out of the window, moreover the first person to get this tile has to only pay 1 coffee for such a big power.

I am wondering, does anyone else feel the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
jalwaaa wrote:
We have played with this expansion over 10 times now and everytime the we play we are frustrated with one Tavern bonus tile, where one can move as many places he/she desires horizontally or vertically forever as it has an ongoing effect.

This tile beats the basic mechanic of the game that you move only 2 places and intelligently work your way towards the goal, but having this tile lets a person just zoom around and that gives an overly unfair advantage to the person owing that tile and if every player owns it then it throws the basic movement mechanic of the game out of the window, moreover the first person to get this tile has to only pay 1 coffee for such a big power.

I am wondering, does anyone else feel the same way?

I had your same impression the first time I read the rules (even if less drastic). However, having tried it right away, I think that tile is handy but not overpowered. You can't zig and zag, you are still blocked by the barrier, you still drop assistants (while one of the mosque tiles lets you reduce or negate the need to go back to the fountain*), and there are bonus cards that let you teleport. Also, there are 4 more tile on the plateau, and I found that introducing an option to move faster was a clever design choice.

* While it does it at a cost, mosque tiles also provide you "half a ruby", while tavern tiles don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
Agree somewhat but i still feel even with the barrier blockade and dropping of assistants and rare chance of you out of all players getting the teleport bonus card, that tile is way overpowered as all the things you mentioned provide very little hinderance to that power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.