Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, it occured to me (listening to a rap song about a fictional serial killer) than there haven't been a lot of serial killers in the news lately.

It turns out this is borne out in the statistics. The number of 3+ victim serial killers active per year in the U.S. has declined from 80-120 per year in the 1980-to-1995 timeframe to 15-30 per year in 2010-2015. See also this 2013 Verge article and and this 2011 Slate article.

Why is this? You'd think with the rise of internet dating apps, uber and Airbnb we'd be tripping over dumpsters filled with body parts. But serial killing has declined, and more radically than the overall drop in the murder rate.

Less lead in the environment causing less of the neuropathologies that lead to serial killers?

Changing parenting practices, e.g. less corporal punishment, causing less anger issues with kids that later lead to development of serial killing psychologies? Or better intervention into childhood mental and learning disabilities so that the pathologies don't develop?

Kids today less "free range" and so not as susceptible? (This is partially borne out by the radical decline in the percentage of victims of serial killers that are children from over 20% in 1970 to 4% in 2010).

Less anonymity and better forsenics meaning law enforcement are better at finding and capturing potential serial killers?

Rule 34 of the internets meaning that bizarre kinks are easier to indulge either with willing partners or virtually?

Insurance companies better able to catch insurance fraud (one of the more common motivations for female serial killers)?

More awareness of good safety practices by potential victims? The ubiquity of cellphones meaning victims can call for help readily?

The rise of investment banking since the 1980s as a more lucrative venue for sociopaths to damage society?

Or is it that young people these days just aren't willing to put the hard work required in stalking and chopping up their victims?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they now just sate themselves with one of shooting sprees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Serial Killers are so 70s and 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murde...

I've confirmed this wiki summary does follow the fbi statements so I'll use it here as it's shorter.
Quote:
Although psychological gratification is the usual motive for serial killing, and most serial killings involve sexual contact with the victim, the FBI states that the motives of serial killers can include anger, thrillseeking, financial gain, and attention seeking.

I suspect less opportunity as anonymity is lost combined with less child abuse and less guilt about sex (esp. any sex outside missionary position).

I had an interesting discussion on labor day. Apparently schizophrenics from cultures which don't demonize it hear friendly voices of helpful relatives and guides. Schizophrenics from cultures that do demonize it hear evil voices. Now that a broad range of sexuality is acceptable and obtained easier than previously, the drive for the single largest set of serial killers may be smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume we are still reaping the benefits of Roe v Wade and Violent crime is down overall, so it only makes sense that this small subset is also down.

Also we now have more drugs from the evil big Pharma that have helped more people. There is less stigma with going on meds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I bet this is an issue that law enforcement have studied. I wonder if anything has been published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps there are more serial killers than ever but with access to Google, forensic TV and online documentation of investigative procedures the killers have moved into a more polished and hard to detect level of killing.

Helicopter parents? Fucking ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Maybe parents are just better today, and not raising little "Mommy Dearests"...

Shoot just hearing the horror stories from my mom and her upbringing with her always drunk wife beating child neglectors, I am surprised we don't have more in our family.

And I don't mean "helicoptering" either. I mean just more general concern and interest in our kids. And I'm not talking about protecting our kids from serial killers, I mean protecting them from becoming one.

"Momma didn't hug me enough, now get into the pit!"

-Michael Wayne Chapel-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
I think Slater is right (cue boos) - A lot of those psychological outlets now go to the spree killer, or more specifically the mass shooter.

Also, yeah forensics are better now, it's likely harder to get away with it for a large amount of time compared to the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter went off the air? (By far my favorite serial killer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea why there are fewer (or just fewer known) serial murders these days, but I found this list to be pretty interesting. Number 5 on the list is particularly gruesome.

http://listverse.com/2013/05/01/10-recently-caught-demented-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids who would normally grow up repressing that rage and becoming serial killers now just shoot up their schools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
GameCrossing wrote:
Kids who would normally grow up repressing that rage and becoming serial killers now just shoot up their schools.

That's sad that they don't even take the time to hone their craft. That is why post secondary education is so important. You just aren't ready for a lifetime career in repeatable targeted homicide in high school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
I think Slater is right (cue boos) - A lot of those psychological outlets now go to the spree killer, or more specifically the mass shooter.

Also, yeah forensics are better now, it's likely harder to get away with it for a large amount of time compared to the past.
Boooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdos can release the pressure on their rage boners almost instantly on the internets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

No, that's not really a sufficient explanation. Using Mother Jones' data, the number of mass shootings (4+ killed) runs about 4-8 incidents/year. The body count can get high for some of the more awful incidents, but the rise in mass shootings doesn't quite offset the more radical decline in serial killers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what you want about serial killers, at least it's an ethos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Why become a serial killer when there are much more fascinating and rewarding career paths, such as:

ISIS prisoner beheader
CIA "enhanced interrogator"
French box truck driver (sorry, that was tacky)
Wall Street investment banker
Member of US Congress
WWE professional wrestler
YouTube kitten video producer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

It's the kids, these days.

No patience for anything at all! It's all, "instant gratification" this or "instant results" that. No dedication or self-control of the level needed for such a long-term campaign!

Probably the fault of video games, really...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

No patience for anything at all! It's all, "instant gratification" this or "instant results" that. No dedication or self-control of the level needed for such a long-term campaign!

Hmmm...the murder equivalent of the "slow food" movement.

I mean, what would be more satisfying - gun down Brad from the football team for the wedgies he gave you, or slowly dismembering his writhing body with a hand-crafted cleaver made by a disabled Japanese blacksmith coated with ghost pepper oil?

Just like beer and chocolate, the time has come for a revival of artisanal, small-batch American murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Would probably be hard to confirm, but I bet the escapism of videogames has played a part (as well as a part in the overall decline in violent crimes over the past few decades).

It makes sense, when people are happy and have an outlet they are less likely to do dumb/evil things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Altair IV wrote:
Weirdos can release the pressure on their rage boners almost instantly on the internets.
~"The 'beatings' shall continue during 'upbringing', since clearly, there hadn't BEEN enough 'conducted' then!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Hmmm...the murder equivalent of the "slow food" movement.

I mean, what would be more satisfying - gun down Brad from the football team for the wedgies he gave you, or slowly dismembering his writhing body with a hand-crafted cleaver made by a disabled Japanese blacksmith coated with ghost pepper oil?

Just like beer and chocolate, the time has come for a revival of artisanal, small-batch American murder.

Yeah man, for sure.

Now, if you'll excuse me for a moment, I just need to step into the other room for a minute to do something other than contact law enforcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Dangerous
mb
Its clearly the result of an overly feminized, cuckold culture that doesnt celebrate those noble few who show women what for by murdering them in thier basements. Obviously, its Anita Sarkeesian's fault.

And Obama.

Thanks Obama!!!
shake

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.