BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 5 - 7 Things The World Should Know about Modern Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm asking for a little help from the community for a presentation to adult students - a little bit of volunteer work I'm doing.

If there were 5 - 7 things that the everyday person must know about modern board games, what are they?

I already have a few ideas, but I'd like to see what others think. The two I have to start with are these: really beautiful art work, and board game as an experience.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It is absolutely perfectly normal to have 1000 board games!

What?

Pete (wants people to know that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Non BGG'ers tend to jump right to Monopoly/Risk when they think of board games. So I mention that modern board games have more evolved mechanics, getting rid of roll & move/player elimination etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Modern Board Games design has progressed beyond the traditional "roll & move" mechanic to more interesting choice based mechanics.

2. Not all board games are adversarial (player vs. player(s)), as many modern board games often have team objectives which promote cooperation between players.

3 Modern Board Games are designed for both adults and kids. While there are some complex games, the basics of most games can be grasped by adult new player after 1 or 2 plays. If not, there are always less complex games that may be a better fit.

4. Well designed Modern Board Games are a good form of mental exercise.

5. Modern Board Games are a relatively inexpensive form of entertainment, with regards to potential for time played versus cost of individual games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That there are games with absolutely no luck involved. When I first heard about that quite a few years ago, I had trouble coming up with anything beyond Chess. It seems to be quite the eye-opener to many people that there can be games without any dice or cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
1. It is absolutely perfectly normal to have 1000 board games!

What?

Pete (wants people to know that)

1000 is normal. 1000+, not so much. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phacops wrote:
Non BGG'ers tend to jump right to Monopoly/Risk when they think of board games. So I mention that modern board games have more evolved mechanics, getting rid of roll & move/player elimination etc.

Hey, I'm not "trolling" but I just wanted to point out that I once made this same statement and it exploded into this whole "This is why people think we're board game snobs" argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Modern Board Games have a strong puzzle-like aspect! That's how I view them anyways. It is less about confrontation and more about skillful planning.

Think tower defense games!

my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games are not only for children.

Board games can be complex and challenging.

Board games can require some effort to get into, and that's okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
robbcorp26 wrote:
Modern Board Games have a strong puzzle-like aspect! That's how I view them anyways. It is less about confrontation and more about skillful planning.

Think tower defense games!

my 2 cents.

This. I think that a lot of really smart people who would probably enjoy boardgames reject them because they believe they are either dumb and boring (roll & move, etc) or mean and/or too competitive (Monopoly). Modern Board Games, particularly euros and coops, offer a game experience that is more intellectual and peaceful, and that is one reason why I think the hobby has grown in popularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
--bg can get very expensive like any other hobby, but can also be enjoyed on the cheap, or even free!

--While there should be options to get people together for gaming for most people, some cases, such options don't exist, in which case, bg-ing loses a lot of its value.

--modern bg industry still pales in comparison to various other entertainment industries... TV, movies, music, video games, etc.

--print runs of modern bg go in the mere thousands, vs. the hundreds of thousands to millions for mass market games

--the vast majority of bg designers have day jobs that pay the bills

--Some games go through months to years of play testing before getting released

--There are some very unique trends, mechanics, ideas, and themes in modern board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
5-7? You mean 1d3+4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoAnna Spring
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
There are tons of great games for couples - games that work well with two people who like each other. You don't always have to attack each other and sometimes you work together to defeat the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
JoAnnaSpring wrote:
There are tons of great games for couples - games that work well with two people who like each other. You don't always have to attack each other and sometimes you work together to defeat the game.

The implication here that attacking someone in a game means you don't like them would be offensive if it weren't completely laughable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One more...

6. While most modern board games take between 90-120 minutes to play. Some "filler" type games can be played in under 10 minutes and everywhere in between. So they don't necessarily require a huge time investment to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- There are game designers who make a living with creating new board games.

- There are fairs and board game cafes all over the world.

- Current cultural themes get transported into board games (like Cthulhu, Zombies, Lord of the Rings) as well as historical themes.

- Modern board games use a plethora of mechanisms besides card drafting and dice rolling.

- Some people do reviews and playthroughs of board games on youtube (and there are even unboxing videos ^^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
1. There are new kinds of board games.
2. There are games for everyone, even you.
3. Games can be played faster than Monopoly, yet as smart as chess.
4. Doesn't have to be a war game.
5. It's ok to lose, you won't even notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
JoAnnaSpring wrote:

The implication here that attacking someone in a game means you don't like them would be offensive if it weren't completely laughable.

or perhaps the implication was simply that many couples don't prefer direct conflict in their gaming. cf. Rahdo, et al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
    The first item should be "board games are a lot more fun than you remember them" and I think the second should be that "playing board games is very social in nature". A third could be "there are thousands of board games designed specifically for adult audiences, covering a myriad a subject matters."

I wouldn't write about modern board games, I'd write about modern boardgaming. Focus on the experience because that's where you'll reach your intended audience. The minute you start describing a particular game feature you'll break the spell. You need to speak to what they already have understanding of.

Some of the recommendations here are good, but your average joe doesn't even understand what "roll-and-move" means without thinking about it for a bit. You need to avoid lingo at all costs. Were it me I wouldn't knife roll-and-move or any other gaming concept, lingoed or not, as some people enjoy games that have those concepts built into them. If somebody loves The Game of Life they love The Game of Life. Encourage them to bring friends together and play.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    "playing board games is very social in nature".

This is what I came here to write. I think with a lot of people there's still an image of a boardgamer as the geeky kid down the street who's really into Dungeon and Dragons. Yet boardgames can bring families and friends together and interacting and conversing in ways they may not normally do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Its no longer winner takes all: Catan, 7 Wonders

It doesn't have to take forever: Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, Tsuro

It can take forever, if that is what you want: Arkham Horror, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire

there are new ideas: Dominion, Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

you can work together: Pandemic, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
TeamAE2L wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
    "playing board games is very social in nature".

This is what I came here to write. I think with a lot of people there's still an image of a boardgamer as the geeky kid down the street who's really into Dungeon and Dragons. Yet boardgames can bring families and friends together and interacting and conversing in ways they may not normally do.

I think this is the real heart of why you're seeing boardgames start appearing in cafes and bars. The last 10 years have made for a change in the social setting, a change that turns attention inwards instead of out. Boardgames (and some other endeavors as well) provide a framework for social interaction when that has been waning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    The first item should be "board games are a lot more fun than you remember them" and I think the second should be that "playing board games is very social in nature". A third could be "there are thousands of board games designed specifically for adult audiences, covering a myriad a subject matters."

I wouldn't write about modern board games, I'd write about modern boardgaming. Focus on the experience because that's where you'll reach your intended audience. The minute you start describing a particular game feature you'll break the spell. You need to speak to what they already have understanding of.

Some of the recommendations here are good, but your average joe doesn't even understand what "roll-and-move" means without thinking about it for a bit. You need to avoid lingo at all costs. Were it me I wouldn't knife roll-and-move or any other gaming concept, lingoed or not, as some people enjoy games that have those concepts built into them. If somebody loves The Game of Life they love The Game of Life. Encourage them to bring friends together and play.

S.

I agree with telling them about the "social" aspect of board games.

I think discussing "board games" vs. "board gaming" is largely semantics. I understand there is a difference, but for the purposes of the OP, you can certainly discuss both of them. Most of the responses have been about the evolution of board gaming, and were not specific to a particular board game, except as examples.

I agree that many non-board gamers might not get what is meant by "roll & move" without thinking about it, but getting non-board gamer adults to "think about it" is the point of this whole exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
glouie wrote:
but getting non-board gamer adults to "think about it" is the point of this whole exercise.

I think I disagree. If you're speaking to a lay audience your goal is likely to persuade them to consider boardgaming as a pastime. I may be wrong, it may be an academic setting where analysis is primary. But that would surprise me.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.