29.4% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the knowledge we currently have access to, what are the most evidenced theories that attempt to explain the origin of the universe and the emergence of life on earth through natural means?

PS I won the appeal to be able to post again. FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and nothing of any value was gained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Out of all the knowledge we currently have access to, what are the most evidenced theories that attempt to explain the origin of the universe and the emergence of life on earth through natural means?

Were you blocked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Phate999 wrote:

Pretty much all of them. Most of it in a theoretical sense such as the "Big Bang," but evolution is clearly well-documented by fossil and geological evidence.

Honestly, do you really think God was going to put a detailed, scientific explanation into Genesis for a bunch of 9th Century BC goat herders and pyramid builders to read? Get real. The Biblical creation story is a metaphor, nothing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

Were you blocked?

I think he means the stool softener worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

Pretty much all of them. Most of it in a theoretical sense such as the "Big Bang," but evolution is clearly well-documented by fossil and geological evidence.

Honestly, do you really think God was going to put a detailed, scientific explanation into Genesis for a bunch of 9th Century BC goat herders and pyramid builders to read? Get real. The Biblical creation story is a metaphor, nothing more.

I agree that the best evidence for the diversity of life on earth is evolution. I'm asking specifically about origins though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

Were you blocked?

Yes, was supposed to be for 14 days but the mods were satisfied with my explanation and assurance of future acquiescence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

I agree that the best evidence for the diversity of life on earth is evolution. I'm asking specifically about origins though.
We have no firm evidance for life beyond the earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

I agree. I am not asking about that though. Did you misunderstand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
For physical cosmology, I'm tired of repeating myself. Start here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Don't think you're going to get 12 pages this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

No, I do not see the relevance of the question.

If we have no firm evidence for a theory, then the theory has no good evidence to back it up. Thus the answer to your question is "there is no "most evidenced" theory to explain something we are not really sure about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

If we have no firm evidence for a theory, then the theory has no good evidence to back it up. Thus the answer to your question is "there is no "most evidenced" theory to explain something we are not really sure about.

I basically asking for the best explanation if that helps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

Would you also ask for the best explanation of Elephants in the Fridge?

There is no explanation, becasue there is no concrete way of telling even if it exists. We have a theory for the development of life on earth, it is logical to assume that model works for the rest of the universe. But in truth we can only really apply it here with any certainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Were you blocked?

Hmmm, I can guess who tried to block him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

This article is a bit over my current level of understanding. I don't know the context or jargon of most of it. Should I just muddle through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

Would you also ask for the best explanation of Elephants in the Fridge?

There is no explanation, becasue there is no concrete way of telling even if it exists. We have a theory for the development of life on earth, it is logical to assume that model works for the rest of the universe. But in truth we can only really apply it here with any certainty.

Ok, thanks for nothing then. On to the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

I see you've met Slater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
whac3 wrote:

This article is a bit over my current level of understanding. I don't know the context or jargon of most of it. Should I just muddle through?

Google is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I understand less than half of it myself, but that's the level of science you're talking about when you discuss the origin of the universe and life. If you're truly interested in the question you asked and want a rational explanation for those things, this is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I understand less than half of it myself, but that's the level of science you're talking about when you discuss the origin of the universe and life. If you're truly interested in the question you asked and want a rational explanation for those things, this is it.

I am going to print it out and study it in depth then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would first get a good four years of High School science education, with a mix of Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. Then move onto college level courses in the hard sciences, with emphasis on both theoretical and practical studies. You will also need multiple courses in physics and biology/genetics.

I would also pursue basic research at a large University, so you can understand from the ground floor up.

Pursue an advanced degree in whatever discipline is most interesting, then once degreed (probably in around 13 years), please post back to this thread. At that point, you should have enough primer to discuss these matters.

Otherwise, it would be akin to a five year old trying to take the field of an NFL game, having only seen a picture of a football and shoulder-ma-pads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or as Georgie used to say once he realized how difficult it was to be the POTUS - "Look, this is hard work."

BING
BING
BING
BING

Arrogance to think one could just waltz right on in, without any fundamentals, is truly human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I would first get a good four years of High School science education, with a mix of Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. Then move onto college level courses in the hard sciences, with emphasis on both theoretical and practical studies. You will also need multiple courses in physics and biology/genetics.

I would also pursue basic research at a large University, so you can understand from the ground floor up.

Pursue an advanced degree in whatever discipline is most interesting, then once degreed (probably in around 13 years), please post back to this thread. At that point, you should have enough primer to discuss these matters.

Otherwise, it would be akin to a five year old trying to take the field of an NFL game, having only seen a picture of a football and shoulder-ma-pads.

or as
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
would conclude....

Psshaww all this talk of credentials, edumacation, and base knowledge... I don't need any of that shit! Just need to ask the right questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.