Subject: First game setup with action cards unbalancing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Ingram
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am planing on playing this soon with a friend of mine. I would consider myself a pretty experienced heavy board gamer with some of my favorites being terra mystica and eclipse. As for my friend I would consider him even more so, so even though he has not played this game before i think he can handle the advanced game of rebellion (his favorite game is dominate species, which i would consider a far more complicated game than this). I did want to play with the first game set up for starting loyalty and possibly the starting troop positions but I wanted to play with the effects on the action cards I was just wondering if that could unbalance the game in any way since the ability to use the effects on the action cards is supposed to be paired with random loyalties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the fact that neither of you have played 50+ games a more impactful balance factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is always a chance the 'first game set up' is possible as a random set up. So I think using the action cards with the 'first game set up' is certainly possible and I don't consider it unbalancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the setup benefits the Empire a little - but it's the deployment of the Rebel forces, not the planets. The basic setup includes a very passive Rebel deployment. I believe current consensus is that the Rebels should attack with their first action more often than not, and that can't be done out of that setup.

That said, for a first game, I wouldn't expect that to be significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
I think using action cards in an introductory game is fine for an advanced player, but I think familiarity with them is a major edge, moreseo than starting position. As long as the new player picks up on their abilities I don't see the prescribed setup causing a problem. The Imperial player could load up on Star Destroyers with Corellia loyal and Brilliant Administrator, but the Rebel player could use Temporary Alliance on Utupau with Mon Mothma then follow up with Build Alliance there to get two Cruisers. I think it evens out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's totally fine to use action cards the first game. That's what we did, and it was fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mb
Should be fine, but the first game is also very rich and fresh without them. We did the "first time setup" by the book and had an amazing time. The second time we played we used the advanced setup and Action cards, and it was still great, although there was a bit less of us discovering the game, of course, even with the new class of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
I think it's totally fine to use action cards the first game. That's what we did, and it was fine.

My girlfriend and I used the base setup with action cards on our first game (neither of us having played before). We encountered no issues from doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing without the action cards just seems lacking to me.

However if your friend was not a gamer, but lets say an enthusiastic StarWars fan, I might consider not using them (at least not the the starting action cards)

I think not using the recruiting action cards will just feel off, especially since you see the text as the game goes on, so I would not skip this anyway.

I agree that the basic setup favors the empire because of the reason posted above by demoss1 (the one exception is unguarded Corellia, but the chances the Rebels can do something there besides sabotage on the first turn is pretty slim.)
The lack of starting action cards also hurts the rebels, since theirs are generally stronger.

I have played with the variable set-up with first time players (gamers), I don't think they can really go wrong as the empire in this case, the one drawback is that it will take an extra few minutes to get things started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its definitely fine to play with the action cards if both of you can pick up their effects easy enough.

without them, the game is a bit bland, as these cards often allow to circumvent the rules in some way so without them you miss nice combos.

what i do feel is that new players should get a chance to read all the cards a bit before starting so they now what to expect, both missions and action cards. without that knowledge chances for winning are low as you cant plan a proper strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed the list of objective cards for both players to see.

However fir my first couple of games I did not look thru all the mission and action cards on purpose, I wanted to be surprised by what is coming, and I felt that it worked out well.

Now that I do know the cards, if I teach a new player the rules, I show them a few of the stronger cards, including the Obi Wan action card, so to not disadvantage them, and I usually give them an extra leader for the first 3 rounds, to balance out the fact that they tend to misuse one in the first few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gedaning wrote:
I am planing on playing this soon with a friend of mine. I would consider myself a pretty experienced heavy board gamer with some of my favorites being terra mystica and eclipse. As for my friend I would consider him even more so, so even though he has not played this game before i think he can handle the advanced game of rebellion (his favorite game is dominate species, which i would consider a far more complicated game than this). I did want to play with the first game set up for starting loyalty and possibly the starting troop positions but I wanted to play with the effects on the action cards I was just wondering if that could unbalance the game in any way since the ability to use the effects on the action cards is supposed to be paired with random loyalties.

The game is actually imbalanced if you DONT play with action cards as the Rebel action cards tend to be more powerful than the empire ones by design. Playing without action cards gives an edge to the empire.

Insert "Edge of empire" joke here

As for setup the one they give you in the rulebook is one of the setup combinations that can happen randomly. So there's nothing imbalanced about it. Certain setups favor the rebels and certain setups favor the empire, that's just part of the rng.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.