Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Marshall
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following 3 paragraphs are directly from the Zertz rules.

"When it is your turn, you first select a marble from the pool. Next you must place it on the board. You may select any color you wish and you may place the marble on any vacant ring.

After you have placed a marble on the board, you must remove a “free” ring. “Free” means: the ring must be vacant and it must be positioned at the edge of the board. In other words, there may not be a marble on it and you must be able to remove it from the sides without disturbing the position of the remaining rings.

Placing a marble and removing a ring is one turn. You must do both. However, it may occur that you cannot remove any of the vacant rings without disturbing the position of the other rings. In this case you must not remove a ring (i.e. your move ends after having placed a marble)."

I have a question about the following situation.

Prior to placing a marble, there is only one "free" ring that could be removed. If I place the marble on that ring, then there are no rings that can be removed. Since I must do both (place a marble and remove a ring, if possible), am I forced to play the marble on a ring other than the one available "free" ring?

I ask because one could argue that the first part of the turn (placing a marble) is independent from the determination in the second part (removing a "free" ring). This nuance is not clear to me from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always understood it to mean that you place a marble on any free ring (possibly even the only removable ring), and then after the placement you must remove a ring if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are not forced to keep this ring vacant in order to be able to remove it after placing a marble (on another ring).
Actually you just place a marble and afterwards you remove a free ring if able.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marshall
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.