Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Swashbuckler and Adventurer are old games now and never had much of a following, so I doubt many here have played them. Dragon & Flagon is a significant redesign of the Swashbuckler system.

My first impressions of the differences after two plays:

1. Overall, the redesign is great! The removal of the written moves, the re-conception of "stun" (now "daze") and the removal of some overly fiddly moves are excellent. I think the game works really well.

2. The shift to "reputation" is a nice way to keep everyone in the game and keeps it lighthearted (the original game, your character could die).

3. For my personal taste, I liked the musketeer theme better than the fantasy theme, but that is just an issue of taste.

4. I'm a little concerned about the power of some of the Flagon moves. I get the idea of having a centerpiece to fight over, but some of the characters had game-winning moves that didn't seem to be all that evenly balanced. Obviously, this is just a first impression.

5. I also found the character-special moves to be a little dominant in the gameplay, causing the classic Swashbuckler action to get underused. Again, just a first impression.

Overall, thumbs up from me. At some point I'll probably fuss with a house variant to be a bit more "swashbucklery", but I need more plays first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is Swashbuckler? Swashbuckler had been around for several years when I played it at my Bachelor's party. This year I celebrate 25 years of marriage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
36 years old!

Swashbuckler was released in 1980, so it was indeed already old when you played it.

I probably first played it a few years after it's release. My friend still has it (though he never managed to get Adventurer) and I just picked up The Dragon and Flagon today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.