Fireteam Zero» Forums » General

Subject: Story? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Maier
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

i have a question about this fantastic game.

How excatly does the storytelling here work?

Thanks

Gwildor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwildor77 wrote:
Hey guys,

i have a question about this fantastic game.

How excatly does the storytelling here work?

Thanks

Gwildor

There are three scenarios, each comprising three missions. Each scenario is self-contained.

At the start of a scenario, you get an introduction, and then you get your objective for the first mission. During the course of the game, you pull certain cards from a pre-generated deck by searching specific locations. The cards are linked to your objectives, which forward the narrative by creating challenges, and revealing what you need to do next. At the end of a mission you get a debriefing, and then you move on to the next mission which continues the narrative. At the end of the third mission, that "story" is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Not actual storytelling as a mechanism.

Each game is set up according to specific instructions. There is back story to each mission and sets of three missions form mini-scenarios. The mission objectives tie into that storyline.

So you won't be telling stories yourself, but the narrative of the game itself is strong and individual missions have a distinct feel from one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that way of the narrative allow the game to be replayable? I hope it is not one and one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Does that way of the narrative allow the game to be replayable? I hope it is not one and one.

It is not a one and done in any sense of the word. Think of it like a game of Arkham Horror or Zombicide. Just because you have played a scenario once doesn't mean you can't play it again. They will play out a bit different each time and there are no real "spoilers" involved. It tells a "story" in a very loose sense, at its heart it is a tactical miniatures game with a great theme and setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:

It is not a one and done in any sense of the word. Think of it like a game of Arkham Horror or Zombicide. Just because you have played a scenario once doesn't mean you can't play it again. They will play out a bit different each time and there are no real "spoilers" involved. It tells a "story" in a very loose sense, at its heart it is a tactical miniatures game with a great theme and setting.

Thank you! I thought so, but wanted to make sure and you've done that for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:

Thank you! I thought so, but wanted to make sure and you've done that for me.

All the different scenarios do is give you different goals. As an example:

The first scenario has you looking for 3 items to repair a ferry to get to a town. These 3 items are contained in a 12-card recon deck. Since you never know where they are in the deck, you never know where on the board you'll have to go to find it. Add in differing terrain and you have a very replayable tactical mini game.

Than there's what you are up against that changes. The first scenario puts you up against the minions, with a one shot elite coming in. The second scenario gets tougher with half minions and half elites. The final scenario see's you up against the Boss. Rinse and repeat for EACh of the 3 monster families in the core box.

The monster families all play differently. The recon deck has a lot of variation. What cards your heroes draw are randomized. So lot's of replayability there.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.