Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a "soft" stretch goal for each 10k the campaign reaches over 200k, I'm revealing a new theme letter (up to 5, the limit of what has been finalised to date).

This is simply to fill in people's knowledge of upcoming themes. Nothing shown here will be included in the box. These are distant future expansions.

Please note that everything shown here is provisional, and will be thoroughly tested and possibly changed or discarded completely if it proves to be a Bad Idea.

210k: Time-travel

Mechanically time travel is likely to mess with the sequence of things - moving the starting player marker, repeating events and/or actions, and especially manipulating the City deck - combined with some pretty devastating City events, more so even than usual, to make manipulating the deck worthwhile

220k: B-movie

The source material for the B-movie pack is 50s pulp science fiction and schlock horror. It will likely also involve aspects of movie production, not just the movies themselves, since a number of theme parks are tied closely with movie studios.

Mechanically I'm inclined towards messing with star values through publicity - being able to pump (and reduce) star totals temporarily. Manipulating stars also fits with the movie theme in a dual-meaning way that I like.

230k: Egyptian

The Egyptian theme is likely to focus on monumental constructions, consuming a lot of resources in the building process, which gave us the idea of a discard-to-build mechanism, making Park card draws very valuable. Also potentially the return of hotels (although not in great numbers), and an idea of actually controlling the Market (although you're also responsible for the rent and upkeep). Other elements may include burying cards for benefits, blueprints with a monumental bonus, and if I can't get a Stargate reference in there somewhere you'll know I'm dead

240k: Ocean

The Ocean theme isn't well developed mechanically as yet, but there are endless thematic elements to include! We decided to go with Ocean instead of Underwater, because it gives greater scope - we can include things on the water instead just below it (like vikings!)

Atlantis, submarines, giant squid, beaches, jetboats, dolphins, whales, maybe some 20,000 Leagues...

250k: Superhero

Superhero will look to the archetypes of comic book heroes - extremes of strength, speed, agility, intelligence, flight, and invulnerability. The heroes are staff in your park by day (what better place to hide, in costume no less?) and the City events will likely provide the occasional villain. I expect we'll see origin stories, power upgrades, secret identities. Mechanically, these staff members seem like they might be powerful enough to assist in assembling panoramas, among other things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy how the flavor text is especially appropriate and thematic.

Will those new expansion cards release on retail release in 2017, or at a later time? Also, any word on MSRP for those decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
I enjoy how the flavor text is especially appropriate and thematic.

Will those new expansion cards release on retail release in 2017, or at a later time? Also, any word on MSRP for those decks?

It's too early to tell, but now that they have revealed time-travel, they should be able to tell us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's interesting... so you could replace a Funfair event with an Unfair event and vice versa, potentially?

Also, do I spy a Tron reference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the prototype - the flavour text is spread everywhere throughout the game, on the cards, in the rules and much of it is hilarious and entirely consistent.

Just another of those small details that shows fine attention to detail and points toward a huge labour of love, as the game developed over many, many years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No details yet on expansion pack timing or how they will be released - it could be anything from a single theme pack at a time up to a whole new large-size box with multiple packs.

Based on the response so far, we expect that at least some expansions will be viable, but we really need to get a sense for how well the main game is going before we can make plans for the expansions, and that will take some time (not to mention that the development and illustration of the packs themselves will take some time too )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
B movies... Interesting. Alien zombie b-movies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias C.
msg tools
joelfinch wrote:

Mechanically I'm inclined towards messing with star values through publicity - being able to pump (and reduce) star totals temporarily. Manipulating stars also fits with the movie theme in a dual-meaning way that I like.

Oh yeah, dual meaning like:
- manipulate a Star on the Walk of Fame (e.g. overwrite the name of your most hated actor colleague -> overwrite the star value of one of your attractions)
- manipulate a Movie Star (sell him a story as AAA movie and then just hire him for a low budget production -> could be a staff member "Agent")
- Sharknado as modern B-Movie classic needs a reference
- Staff member in Godzilla costume (+ Robot Theme = MechaGodzilla)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Norris
msg tools
I am all for the Egyptian theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Time traveling through B-movies... now that would be my dream holiday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
So glad to see Egyptian - I think that's going to be really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if we make it to $340,000 we'll know all the letters? I think we can do it in 30 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I understand. Is this material that every KS backer will be getting with the KS?
Or are these themes just for future expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
webslinger9 wrote:
So if we make it to $340,000 we'll know all the letters? I think we can do it in 30 hours!

I specified when I laid out these for-fun goals, that the maximum I could reveal was 5, because that's all that were finalised. I'd love to keep going, but I would be making up nonsense.

Carcking wrote:
Not sure I understand. Is this material that every KS backer will be getting with the KS?
Or are these themes just for future expansions?

Apologies, I assumed that people would be coming from the Kickstarter page having seen the explanation.

I'm revealing up to 5 themes that have already been decided - but these cards are sketch only (hence the stock photos) and haven't been fully tested. They won't be included in the box, and in fact they may be changed or completely removed if testing shows that they don't work.

Just a bit of fun, to fill in the theme alphabet in the last days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
Apologies, I assumed that people would be coming from the Kickstarter page having seen the explanation.

I'm revealing up to 5 themes that have already been decided - but these cards are sketch only (hence the stock photos) and haven't been fully tested. They won't be included in the box, and in fact they may be changed or completely removed if testing shows that they don't work.

Just a bit of fun, to fill in the theme alphabet in the last days

Will they be given to the KS backers then, separate from the retail box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These reveals are about offering a bit more knowledge of upcoming themes, for players who are interested - there's no additional cards for backers resulting from these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
These reveals are about offering a bit more knowledge of upcoming themes, for players who are interested - there's no additional cards for backers resulting from these.

Thanks for clarifying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the reveals, Joel! Very excited about all of these packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon 260k F!!! F!!

And then 270k = International?

What happens at 280k? Haven't thought that far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So sorry, but I said at the outset I only have 5 to reveal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.