Roll Player» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo mode: purpose of the trash pile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I played a couple of solo games and I don't see the utility of the trash pile.

Did I miss something in the rule?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those cards will never be reshuffled into the market and they are unavailable for the skill card that was from the discard pile (Open Locks? Move Silently)

EDIT: Per Keith's comment below, the card I was thinking of is Move Silently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Okay but how do you manage to reshuffle the discard pile in a solo game. Even if you take a card every turn there are 1 or 2 cards left in the market deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aktarion wrote:
I played a couple of solo games and I don't see the utility of the trash pile.

Did I miss something in the rule?

Thanks

Thanks for asking the question.

I haven't had a chance to play yet but after reading the rules twice, I was wondering about this too. It's confusing that the rules don't explain the difference anywhere.

At fist I thought it was using the two terms interchangeably but the setup clearly distinguishes them as two distinct piles. Without an explanation, it seems completely arbitrary as to why a card would go into one pile or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aktarion wrote:
Okay but how do you manage to reshuffle the discard pile in a solo game. Even if you take a card every turn there are 1 or 2 cards left in the market deck.

There's also a skill that lets you buy the top card of the market deck (I don't recall the name Open Locks), so you could go through 4 cards during some rounds.

EDIT: Per Keith's comment below, the card I was thinking of is Open Locks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
Aktarion wrote:

There's also a skill that lets you buy the top card of the market deck (I don't recall the name), so you could go through 4 cards during some rounds.

I was wondering the same thing as OP, but this seems like one reason... Still, seems like a lot of work for a (sort of) edge case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question.

Cards in the Trash cannot be accessed.
Cards in the Discard can be accessed in a variety of ways

- Move Silently Skill card allows the player to buy from the discard pile (not the trash).

- The Druid special ability (Attuned) allows the player to return cards from the discard pile to the market. In this instance, if there are 4 cards in the market, and the die requires you to trash "the card in the center", you may choose which of the 2 center cards you wish to move to the trash. This edge case was not covered in the rulebook, unfortunately.

- Open Lock, if used enough times, it's possible to require the player to reshuffle the discard and create a new market deck, excluding the trash (though rare).

- I have some cards planned in the future that take advantage of cards in the discard pile.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmatejka wrote:
- I have some cards planned in the future that take advantage of cards in the discard pile.

Expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the answer....did I hear expansiowhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.