8 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: stupid questions about eldritch tokens and fighting monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal A.
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
I just got Eldritch Horror 2 days ago, and i've played a couple of solo games to understand how the game works.
I've watched videos and read a ton of threads on BGG as well.
But i don't know what the purpose of eldritch tokens is?
like,i know this is stupid but t i don't know what i'm supposed to with them.
the setup of Azathoth tells you to put an eldritch token on the green comet.
and also, how do you defeat monsters in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
They're a place marker for various things. The game will tell you when you need them as not every GOO will require them, or if they do it's dependent on the active mystery or rumor. As for combat, that shuold be covered in the rules section - sanity check, combat check, if monster is still alive end turn, otherwise proceed to next monster or encounter if space is clear. Also I would advise posting in the Eldritch Horror forum for game specific questions and not in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the mythos cards (blue rumor cards) will have you place a certain number of eldritch tokens on them. They will disappear whenever a certain action that is specified on that card occurs (often a reckoning). Any time the eldritch tokens are needed, they will be directed specifically by a card. If the rumors are not solved before the eldritch tokens all disappear from the card, something nasty usually happens.
As far as the setup for Azathoth, I believe that there are conditions when playing with him that will cause more eldritch tokens to be placed on the green comet space of the omen tracker. Every time the tracker cycles around and lands on the green comet, the number of eldritch tokens on the green comet indicate the number of spaces that doom will advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal A.
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help, i have 2 more questions too.
can i use the asset once only?
and also can i use multiple assets at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it tells you to discard after use, the card may be used each turn or even each part of a turn (i.e. multiple combats). You can only use one bonus to a given attribute per test/combat but you can use the other attributes that an asset gives you even if you are not using one of its bonuses. If you have a card that gives +3 strength and a different card that gives you +1 strength and the ability to reroll a die during a test, you may only pick one strength bonus to use (obviously the +3) but you may use the reroll ability from the other card as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best place to ask questions about a game is in its own forum. You might even find the answer already there.

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1436541/eldritch-horror/rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
skullyxhead wrote:
I just got Eldritch Horror 2 days ago, and i've played a couple of solo games to understand how the game works.
I've watched videos and read a ton of threads on BGG as well.
But i don't know what the purpose of eldritch tokens is?
like,i know this is stupid but t i don't know what i'm supposed to with them.
the setup of Azathoth tells you to put an eldritch token on the green comet.
and also, how do you defeat monsters in the game?

Eldritch tokens are basically generic tokens. They don't do anything and are never used until a caed specificaly references them. Those cards will tell you how many and where to places them, and how they should be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
They're a place marker for various things. The game will tell you when you need them as not every GOO will require them, or if they do it's dependent on the active mystery or rumor. As for combat, that shuold be covered in the rules section - sanity check, combat check, if monster is still alive end turn, otherwise proceed to next monster or encounter if space is clear. Also I would advise posting in the Eldritch Horror forum for game specific questions and not in general.

The part about fighting monsters isn't quite right. If a monster is still alive after you fight it, you still have to fight every other monster on the same space. The impact is just that once you've fought each monster on the space, then if there are now no monsters present (most likely cause being you killed them all) you can have another non-combat encounter, but if any monsters are still here you must end your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.