Subject: Does "Build" as a card effect include "Hire"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lachlan Albert
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
How could anyone be expected to read that?
badge
Jiminy Jillickers
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot about a rulebook/card wording issue we had. If someone is able to build any card from their hand for free (this was almost a week ago so I can't remember which card caused the issue) are they able to "build" a staff member? I know staff members are hired, not built, but hiring and building are mechanically identical. If you are able to "build" a card as a result of a card effect, is that limited to upgrades/attractions, or does it include the ability to hire staff members?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards normally indicate what you can build - e.g. Unusual Bequest, Jungle Queen, Robot theme all state "Build an upgrade".

However the Lost and Found attendant says "search the Park discard pile and choose a card. Pay to build it", so that could apply to hiring a staff member.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a fair point about an ambiguity of the definition 'build' and 'hire' - as it stands, Hire 'has the same meaning as build, but is used to refer to staff members only', which implies 'hire' is a subset of 'build'.

However, since people might have a problem conceptually with 'building a staff member', this might be worth adding one of those amusing hand written notes on the rules to clarify that you can (or can't) 'build' a staff member.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Build and hire/recruit are synonyms, with the appropriate version used for flavour. Mechanically they're identical.

I'll adjust the rulebook and glossary entry to make this clearer. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lachlan Albert
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
How could anyone be expected to read that?
badge
Jiminy Jillickers
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a quick look through the PNP files and discovered the card that was an issue - Unexpected Delivery. It lets you draw the top card from the park deck and "build it for free if possible", otherwise it goes into your hand. If a staff member is drawn, are they hired, as "hire" is a subset of "build", or because Unexpected delivery states that it can be "built" if possible and not hired, does the staff member go to the hand?

Edit: Dammit, Joel, getting that comment in while I was typing. Guess that's why Unfair has a Ninja theme ninja. Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.