Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick idea. It's been a while since I read it, but I recall someone having a great balancing idea that for every Goal Token you have collected, you suffer -1 to all tests.

How about some ideas for 2-sided goal tokens. One side has the standard Goal pic on it, the other has a penalty. You mix them all together in a bag to draw from, or mix them up and stack them.

For example:

"Not-so-solid" - -1 to job hand size

"Botched" -1 to active jobs

"Who's driving this thing?" - -1 to all rolls while flying

"What was that?" - Discard highest priced ship upgrade. If core, replace with original.

"I'm Out" - Roll to choose a crew member other than your leader. Discard that crew and any gear equipped.

"Black Mark" - Discard any crew with the Companion keyword. You may not hire any crew with the Companion keyword.

"Wait, What's Halitosis?" - -2 to all negotiate rolls

"Serious Damage" - -1 to ship upgrade slots. Mechanics in crew are always disgruntled.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, I am all about the simplest solution possible. Love the random draw idea. My one and only beef would be that such a draw could be either detrimental or impotent. So I propose:
Draw 3, and the other players choose which one you must keep (by whatever selection process y'all fancy). Place the the other two back in the bag (definitely draw from a bag over drawing from a stackcool). I now have a reason to make a drawstring bag for Firefly!

As for the specific detriments, I think the -1, -2 or -3 to various tests should suffice. It's simple and elegant. You can pursue the next goal at a now greater risk, or you can alter your ship/crew/gear setup to better go after it.

I'm a fan of increasing challenge, but not by destroying a player's hard-earned set-up. That is, I don't think gaining a goal token should cripple a player (downgrade your hard-earned $2400 drive core, yikes!). Gaining a goal token doesn't necessarily mean you're in the lead and need to be slowed down either. It may be that you're neck and neck with one or more players, or that you're already out of the runnings. Giving other players the option to choose a more or less challenging goal token is a way to allow players to potentially slow a leader, or invite players who are behind to catch up (all things being equal).

Escalation through increased challenge vs. increased challenge through screwage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I'm with Darin, that they'd probably need to be a looked at a little more closely for balance. While -2 Talk may seem like a big detriment, there are plenty of ways to get around it. On the other hand, -1 Upgrade Slot + Disgruntled Mechanics could be more brutal.

These tokens could be brutal in certain games. Bad enough to be carrying 2 goals with you when you're trying to finish Harken's Folly, but how about those 5-Goal games. Yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, guys. Maybe just simplify it to skill loss?

-1 to all tests
-2 to tech
-2 to negotiate
-2 to fight
-1 while flying

That would be easier, and we could just make 4 of each, and draw each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:
Good points, guys. Maybe just simplify it to skill loss?

-1 to all tests
-2 to tech
-2 to negotiate
-2 to fight
-1 while flying

That would be easier, and we could just make 4 of each, and draw each time.

This↑ sounds more elegant. I'd definitely try it. Though "-1 while flying" seems merely a weaker version of "-1 to all tests." Perhaps drop the last one and make 5 of each of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps change "to all tests" to "When Misbehaving"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Perhaps change "to all tests" to "When Misbehaving"?

Yep, that's better. It's what I was thinking in my head, but definitely needs to be worded like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I the current PBF, I have Jayne's Cunning Hat and Wash's Dinosaurs, so that got me thinking...

As in aside - great job in the PBF. Way to set a brutal pace for the rest of us to try to match!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I the current PBF, I have Jayne's Cunning Hat and Wash's Dinosaurs, so that got me thinking...

As in aside - great job in the PBF. Way to set a brutal pace for the rest of us to try to match!

Well, I wish I could take all the credit, but Amnon had 2 perfect jobs available in my first draw. So far, it's worked out well for me, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.