Subject: Buy *before* build in Stratic - Timing of free action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Rosalia
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, free moves can be done any time after moving, including before your main event, correct (for instance doing an event before visiting a town)?

Tonight there was a building I really wanted to build in Stratic that required two books, and I only had one. I moved to Stratic, *bought* a building that required no books with coin, shifted the desired building down to the one book slot, *then built* the desired building (now that it only required one book) using my resources.

Was this legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, totally legal.
The rules indicate (under the Stratic detail) that once a building is built/bought (either Build or Buy action) the buildings are moved down and a new building is revealed. Note it doesn't say anything about waiting for end of turn or anything like that.

If a player has accumulated a reasonable amount of gold, this approach could be used to rush the game end requirements buy purchasing multiple buildings in this way.

~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, just the sort of thing we're always doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Rosalia
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
Yes, totally legal.
The rules indicate (under the Stratic detail) that once a building is built/bought (either Build or Buy action) the buildings are moved down and a new building is revealed. Note it doesn't say anything about waiting for end of turn or anything like that.

If a player has accumulated a reasonable amount of gold, this approach could be used to rush the game end requirements buy purchasing multiple buildings in this way.

~Steve

I'm not so much concerned about the shifting action, but the fact I'm doing my buy (free action) before the main action (visit and build). I think since it sounds like events can be done (the other free action) before this, it should be okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmb
minigno wrote:
I'm not so much concerned about the shifting action, but the fact I'm doing my buy (free action) before the main action (visit and build). I think since it sounds like events can be done (the other free action) before this, it should be okay.

Yes, you are allowed buy a building before taking your action for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter recore
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
The rules indicate (under the Stratic detail) that once a building is built/bought (either Build or Buy action)

My copy of the rulebook is a bit unclear on that IMHO (I have the English Retail edition, not the Kickstarter.

EDIT: Welp, found a comment in another thread that references a third thread [that I haven't found yet] that says the confusion I was talking about is a known cut/paste error in the publishing of the rules book, so don't mind me, I'll show myself out now blush

Now obsolete analysis, preserved for future searchers:

Most of the time the rules and cards seem to be very careful about distinguishing BUYING from BUILDING, and treating them as distinct actions, including typesetting the word BUILD in bold, all caps in the Stratic detail. A third word, "gain" is also introduced, defined as buying or building. All the various powers on building cards, distinguish between build, buy, or gain.

But in the final paragraph on page 17 (the stratic detail section), the only word used is BUY.
It says you slide buildings and replace them after buying, with no mention of BUILDing at all in that last paragraph.

It *feels* right that they slide/refill any time a building is "gained", whether bought or built, but I don't feel the rules make that clear as written. In my view the final paragraph on page 17 could be fixed by replacing BUYing with GAINing. And also copying or moving that text to the BUY action page. If I were going strictly by what's written, I would rule that cards only slide/refill during a BUY action.

The disconnect between the written text and what "feels" right is what led me to this forum.

Now, I'm a new here on BGG so hopefully this wasn't too rules lawyer-y of an analysis, but it seems like if that would be OK anywhere, it would be in a RULES forum post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.