Subject: Brides & Bribes for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Spaceballoongames
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

we received some requests regarding the chance to make Brides & Bribes a game also for two players.
But here the question: if a game is mainly based on the play interaction and hidden placements for 3 or more player, is it correct to introduce a rule for two even though the feeling of the game will not be exactly the same?

For a game like Brides & Bribes what mechanic would you prefer to use?

Would you prefer to have a "fake" third player (like an automa) or to increase the number of option per player giving them more tiles (as in Lancaster two player version).

If you have time please have a look of our rules and let us know what do you think!
Brides & Bribes - RULES
it would be of great help!

Grazie mille,

Pedro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummy "3rd" player please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Spaceballoongames
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo Mocifer,

CAn you tell me a game you like to take as un example for a good automa player?
I like race for the galaxy kind but there are many...
thank for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nelson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd love more available actions but I think a 3rd neutral player would be more likely to work properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have to be a full-on 3rd "dummy" player. Look what Bruno did with Happy Pigs. A set of action tiles that one player uses until it triggers, then the action tiles pass to the second player. Just learned the game a day ago, and I like how it's a subtle change to make the game work as two players. Not sure if/how it could be adopted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Spaceballoongames
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Jonathan. I also would prefer the "more options" system but i think it would complicate a lot the game. to many tiles to manage at the same time.
@Mike. I download the happy pig rules. nice and easy system. I think the solution to B&B will go for something like that.

@Everybody:
Any more Automa or tile system in your mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spaceballoongames wrote:

@Mike. I download the happy pig rules. nice and easy system. I think the solution to B&B will go for something like that.

Awesome! Glad to help.

Just make sure to spell my name correctly in the rule book. whistle

Hahaha!

Joking aside, good luck with the two player development. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Spaceballoongames
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Guigliano and not Giugliano then....

Thanks to you and please follow us in the development process.
Our intention it to have as many people as possibile to intervene.
We don't want people say "Brides & Bribes? a really nice game! but you have to play it in 3 or up....for 2 is horrible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nelson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody wants it to be a bad 2 player game, so more people need to put their input into the conversation here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Gallazzi
Switzerland
Lugano
Ticino
flag msg tools
What do you think about these 3 options?
1) using a bot (such as Race for the Galaxy) that acts much like a player
2) making life more difficult to players (with characters appearing in the boroughs and automatically opposing to delegations)
3) much like option 2 but giving players control to these characters

Option 1 is surely closer to the original game, but becomes complex and time-consuming.
Option 2 diverges lightly from the original game, but at the end keeps the same flavor.
Option 3 seems the best, but is difficult to implement and balance. How to assign them to players?

Do you see other pro-cons?
Which one do you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Spaceballoongames
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tryed the game in two tonight.
A simple game in two with one small change:
_The doge favour was out of the game
_The first player coach passed between the two player during all game and was used also to break ties.

We played on two boroughs with three coaches per person.
The game is fun but become really "german". not much interaction between players.

We want to try the following version next time:
_ Play on three boroughs.
_ Each player select a family and take the three coaches
_ Each player select a second family and take ONE coach an two character of that family. From now on this family counts like being part of the first.
_ The doge favour is out of the game

I'll tell you the result as soon as I test it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Spaceballoongames
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with:
_ Three boroughs.
_ Each player select a family and take the three coaches
_ Each player select a second family and take ONE coach an two character of that family. From now on this family counts like being part of the first.
_ The doge favour is out of the game
_the first player coach is passed over each turn and work to break ties.

This version worked a lot better. the lnteraction between players is high and the game lasted less than 50 min. no strategy seem to be dominant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Been watching this eagerly on Kickstarter, but haven't pledged so far as it didn't previously support two players.

Now you're working on rules, if we can get something finalised before the end of the campaign: I'm in.

How about working the 2-player game something like Histrio does? I really enjoy that 2-player mode. In that there are two "dummy" players, one for each person. You can see what YOUR dummy player is going to doeach round, and so can act accordingly, but your opponent doesn't! And of course, vice versa. That keeps a lot of the interaction that your game promotes, with a lot of second guessing each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Spaceballoongames
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciao Matthew,
very good suggestion, I just downloaded the Histrio rules to have a look of them.
To have one dummy player is another option but we don't want to complicate the game too much.
The main concerns with a dummy player are:
_Introduction of a "luck factor" now not present
_Possible increasing in the game complexity
We have to test it and see what happen.

unfortunatelly it will not be possible to have the two player version finished and ready before the kickstart end.
We have to really test the rules many times with others player to get them right.
But one thing is sure. the game WILL BE for two!
With the help of the community we will find the right way to do them before the game goes to the printers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Gallazzi
Switzerland
Lugano
Ticino
flag msg tools
Idea is to not add any game component (except rules), so that printing will not be delayed.
It is actually not a matter of costs, but rather to avoid having a more complex game and slow down gameplay experience (someone will have to manage the bot).
A great quality of this game is that pace and interactions are high!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.