BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Light-medium to Medium game for 5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Looking for a light-medium to medium complexity game that plays best, or very well, with 5 in about 1 hour or less.

The group doesn't mind a thinky game having an element of luck, but like rules which are streamlined, and a board that doesn't offer many fiddly bits. A plus if it can play up to 6. Some examples of the games they enjoy: Tichu, Catan, Samurai. 7 Wonders received somewhat mixed reviews.

Considering:
Medici: an almost ideal candidate, except that seems a bit dry and mathematical (?), and I can't find the new edition in Europe

Ra: would be perfect (less mathematical than Medici), but as I understand it, plays best with 4 or 3.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hammel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you want something with some strategy and pretty colours, then:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118172895/from-the-ash... (they're running now so it doesn't hurt to give them a friendly mention). We play this with 6 and it's really great fun.

Also played ManaSurge the other day - which was great fun with 5.

I'd always go with Lords of Waterdeep for 5 player light and not too strenuous (mentally) fun! It's my go-to game for the rest of my life, probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogs of War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is great with 5 (most player counts really), and seems to fit what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure, the dice game version of pandemic for 1-7 players.
The rules are pretty straight forward and easy to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is great with 5 (most player counts really), and seems to fit what you're looking for.

Personally, I find this to be quite "mathematical" considering how you determine prices and decide how much to spend/save and how many points you get for your bucks.

Just my 2c.

EDIT: maybe Kingsburg fits the bill. (Low and indirect conflict.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennart K.
Germany
flag msg tools
Istanbul might fit. Inexpensive, Up to 5 players, good mix of strategy/luck, medium weight (Kennerspiel dJ), close to 1 hour play lenght and a nice board without text elements. A fantastic game for 3-4 players but I haven't played it with 5. You may have to add one expansion for the extra space on the board for the 5th player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Peloponnes base game fits the bill on all counts. And with some small expansions in Peloponnes Box, it can play up to eight. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manila more of a fun game than a super thinky one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Case
msg tools
You might want to check out:

Citadels
Kingsburg
Niagara
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects (I think this one is out of print)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't El Grande considered to be perfect with 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
+1 for Dogs of War. This game is worker-placement (technically, at least) but there is WAY more player interaction than your average worker placement game: you make and break alliance, bluff and second-guess your opponents. It's very easy to teach/explain and plays in 60-90 mins (depending on experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.