15 Posts

Vampire: The Eternal Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Jyhad starter deck contains? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Gallhuber
msg tools
Hey guys!
Recently i was able to get a full jyhad collection an now im trying to find out which cards the clan starterdecks contained. I played one or two games before and im not that great at freeform deck building yet. So i wanted to know which cards to combine to build the jyhad starters to play with my friends. I couldnt find any lists online.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Csepregi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
There were no clan starters in Jyhad (if this is really the edition you have).
Clan starters were introduced much more later with the Camarilla expansion for V:TeS (after the name was changed from Jyhad).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Gallhuber
msg tools
So everyone had to build their decks themselves? So the boxes one could get where mixed cards and unplayable?
Yep its jyhad from 1994. Came in a huge folder so i have no real idea how to build decks from that. I got the sabbat wars sarter kit for 4 people and the gangrel antitribu most wanted decks and didnt change out any cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Muller
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western Cape
flag msg tools
even if it's not
badge
I have a cunning plan that cannot fail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jyhad and the original Vampire sets had random starter decks. Pre-constructed decks only came in with the Sabbat War expansion.

The numbers of crypt and library cards where fixed (16 crypt, 60 library cards IIRC).

The rarity distribution wasn't great either - something like 2 rares & 13 or 14 uncommon cards per starter for Jyhad and 3 rares and about 12 uncommons for VtES starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Muller
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western Cape
flag msg tools
even if it's not
badge
I have a cunning plan that cannot fail.
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesHyde wrote:
So everyone had to build their decks themselves? So the boxes one could get where mixed cards and unplayable?

Yes.

While one could end up with an unplayable deck, there was usually enough overlap between the disciplines of the vampires and library cards for the deck to be somewhat functional (helped by discipline masters being common) - not particularly good, but not completely unplayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Gallhuber
msg tools
Ok i see! Thank you!
I will try my best building 4 decks that all have 1 primogen as highest title. So the theme would be clans in the same city fighting over it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drnlmza wrote:
JamesHyde wrote:

Yes.

While one could end up with an unplayable deck, there was usually enough overlap between the disciplines of the vampires and library cards for the deck to be somewhat functional (helped by discipline masters being common) - not particularly good, but not completely unplayable.

This is true.

Though back then, the same was true for buying a Magic:TG starter. It was the early days of the trading card game system after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Gallhuber
msg tools
Must`ve been great whitnessing it all
When they got as big and succesful as they are now ☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesHyde wrote:
I will try my best building 4 decks that all have 1 primogen as highest title. So the theme would be clans in the same city fighting over it

When you don't have a lot of cards, try not too hard to have all members of 1 clan.

It's better to take a certain clan as a starting point, but then mix-an-match vampires based on the disciplines you want to use. As mentioned, the "master: discipline"(*) cards are there to fill any gaps.

(*note: in the Jyhad set, disciplines were called "skills")

Good luck, and let us know if you run into any problems!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Gallhuber
msg tools
Thanks again! I will remember that!
The folder and a few boxes contain over 1200 cards and its an almost full collection of every jyhad card including multiples. So cardswise, i got everything needed ☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game NEEDs to be LCG-ized.
So much chaos in the controlling companies though that I'm not sure it will ever happen anymore.
Only suitable replacement is the Game of Thrones LCG. Clearly a different theme, but much of the mechanics of having characters in play, locations, and most importantly, political intrigue.
Good luck making some decks. You might get some help by visiting the Elder Kindred Network for some deck ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hill
United States
Grafton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A number of other card games have better interplay and combat but none have the voting mechanism that makes this game great.

It could just be reimagined as a standalone 'Dominion' box style game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiro Protag wrote:
A number of other card games have better interplay and combat but none have the voting mechanism that makes this game great.

It could just be reimagined as a standalone 'Dominion' box style game.

I also love the core economy of the game, that you have to spend your own life to do nearly everything. It provides great tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
I also love the core economy of the game, that you have to spend your own life to do nearly everything. It provides great tension.

Me too!

Coming from Magic, where you just accumulate more and more power until you are only limited by the amount of cards you draw, I loved this concept.

You can't just play whatever you like, for each pool counter you spend puts you at a greater risk. You really have to weigh the pros and cons of every option carefully.
This not only generates tension, but it conserves balance throughout the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you DjaliRiot and chadnorth !
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

Me too!

Coming from Magic, where you just accumulate more and more power until you are only limited by the amount of cards you draw, I loved this concept.

You can't just play whatever you like, for each pool counter you spend puts you at a greater risk. You really have to weigh the pros and cons of every option carefully.
This not only generates tension, but it conserves balance throughout the entire game.

100% agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.