1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: X-Men: Children of the Atom Volume 1 (365 Card set) Complete! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
So here it is, originally this set was supposed to come with 17 Heroes, but we never could get the Starjammers to be how we wanted them and since we made a decision to stick with period specific art it also made finding suitable images a bit of a chore. So we scratched them and added in some Masterminds, Villain Groups and Henchmen groups that we had on the drawing board early and took down.

This covers Giant Sized X-Men #1/Uncanny X-Men 94- Uncanny X-Men 143 and John Byrne's exit. In this set you can play through several of he stories from that era, battling Karkoa, the Night of the Sentinels, Eric The Red's battle to keep the X-Men from meeting up with Lilandra, D'Ken mad plans for the M'Kraan Crystal, Proteus, The Dark Phoenix, the battle to save Jean Grey and many more stories.

Some stories we chose to use Masterminds to tell instead of Schemes, hence D'Ken and the Crystal, and some Villains ended up in a very generic Enemies of the X-Men because they didn't really fit anywhere else. Some of the schemes are very much a race against time like Kill the Phoenix, and we even have one in there that hopefully will make you laugh with Murderworld.

I will fully admit that I may have missed some spelling errors and will be going back through in the days to come to double check them. Sometimes when you look at something you are convinced it is spelled right even when it is not because your mind knows what it is supposed to say. We understand that some of the cards found in this set will not be everyone's cup of tea, I can assure you that we have play tested them all and several cards went back to the drawing board more than once (Sebastian Shaw went back like 6 times). Anyway, we hope you do enjoy this labor of love, and if you guys like it then we'll be happy to share Volume 2 covering 144-213 along with all the spin offs, mini series and graphic novels during that time span in the next month or so!!

X-MEN: CHILDREN OF THE ATOM VOLUME 1
Covering Giant Sized X-Men #1- Uncanny X-Men 143

13 Heroes with 14 cards each

Cyclops

Phoenix

Beast

Angel

Storm

Wolverine

Colossus

Nightcrawler

Banshee

Thunderbird

Sunfire

Kitty Pryde

Multiple Man

8 Villain Groups of 8 cards each:
Ani-Men (Dragoness x1, Ape Man x2, Bird Man x1, Cat Man x1, Frog Man x2)

X-Sentinels (Professor X x1, Cyclops x1, Marvel Girl x1, Beast x1, Angel x2, Iceman x2)

D'ken's Agents (Erik The Red x1, Magneto x1, Juggernaut x2, Black Tom x2, Havok x1, Polaris x1)

The Lords Cardinal (Donald Pierce x1, Emma Frost x1, Harry Leland x3, Jason Wyngarde x3)

Imperial Guard (Gladiator x1, Titan x2, Mantax2, Smasher x2, Warstar x1)

Alpha Flight: (Sasquatch x2, Snowbird x2, Shaman x2, Northstar x1, Aurora x1)

Mystique's Brotherhood (Destiny x2, Avalanche x2, Blob x2, Pyro x2)

Enemies of the X-Men (Arcade x1, Wendigo x1, Mesmero x2, Moses Magnum x2, Warhawk x2)

5 Henchmen Groups of 10 cards each:
Hellfire Guards

Omega Sentinels

Shi'ar

Followers of Garokk

N'Garai

9 Masterminds with 5 cards each:
Count Nefaria

Kierrok The Damned

Steven Lang

Emperor D'Ken

Sebastian Shaw

Garokk

Empress Lilandra

Guardian

Mystique

4 Bystanders:
The Senator x5

Astronaut x4

General x4

Moira MacTarget x3

8 Schemes:

Capture and Drain Mutants (Krakoa)

The Doomsmith Scenario

Night of the Sentinels

Trap the Heroes in Murderworld

Proteus Escapes

Corrupt the Phoenix

Kill the Phoenix

Assassinate the Senator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
Re: X-Men: Children of the Atom Volume 1 (370 Card set) COMING SOON
My friends and I have been working on this for several months now, we did a final play test of the Heroes last night and we'll be putting final touches on the rest of the cards for the next week. We have 2 more volumes of 370 cards plotted out and plan to release Volume 2 at the end of October and Volume 3 at the end of November, and by the end of it covering Chris Claremont's first run on the X-Men. All the art for this first set will come from Giant Sized X-Men #1 thru Uncanny X-Men 142.

We did not create any new keywords. We felt that with all the keywords already out there creating more just wasn't needed. That is not to say we won't create new ones for the other two expansions, we just stuck to what was already available for this one.

We also concede that in the end there will be several repeats from what Upper Deck has already released in terms of characters. Our cards will not just be copies with new art, they will be completely different.

We hope you like what we are putting together, we love Legendary very much and wanted to show that love by creating something new for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M.

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see what you have for Banshee, he was always one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Men based Colossus...

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I'll certainly be looking forward to what you make. I know precious little about the run, but know how popular the run was and Claremont's reputation.

I also have to applaud your decision to not include new keywords. I could handle them but all the keywords must be intimidating to those who don't obsess over the game, like probably every one of us who post here (why else would we care so much about all the custom made cards?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
Tsallak wrote:
I'll certainly be looking forward to what you make. I know precious little about the run, but know how popular the run was and Claremont's reputation.

I also have to applaud your decision to not include new keywords. I could handle them but all the keywords must be intimidating to those who don't obsess over the game, like probably every one of us who post here (why else would we care so much about all the custom made cards?).

When we first set out making this we actually had a keyword:

Danger Room

Danger Room would have been on all X Men Uncommon cards, after the word Danger Room would have been the icon of a super power. You would have to play a card with both Danger Room printed on it as well as the super power icon in order to gain a bonus of +2 attack. It was to show the X-Men working and training together in the Danger Room, and try and unlock some X-Men trademark maneuvers such as the Fastball Special. In the end we found different ways to accomplish this and decided instead getting to use all the Keywords that have been used in all the Marvel Legendary games so far was enough. The other keyword we batted around was Unmovable. For Juggernaut and Blob we wanted to make it so players card effects could not move either one, as a way to stay a little true to their comic counterparts, but found it easier to simply type out "Blob cannot be moved by a Heroes Card Effect" much simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
So two bits of news, 1) The set is growing to 380 because we decided to add New Sentinels to the Henchmen Villains. 2)We are bumping back the release on the board to the 30th of September. Something has come up that will keep me from being able to post next weekend. But how about a sneak peak? Here are the "New Sentinels".

Our goal with these was to make the Sentinels a nightmare like they are in the comics. No matter what you do, they keep coming back and each time they toll they extract is greater and greater. We tried to give these Sentinels that feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Re: X-Men: Children of the Atom Volume 1 (380 Card set) COMING SOON
It sounds like you caught that essence quite well.

I had no idea sentinels were supposed to be like that, but I only read one story with them in it. It was the Uncanny X Men 281-283, where Bishop is introduced and we meet Trevor Fitzroy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
My first exposure to the Sentinels was the Days of the Future Past story in 141-142, where they had conquered the US and were preparing to do the same to the world. They had killed the majority of the US's super heroes and a small band of X Men try to stop them and all end up dead. Between that, the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams Sentinel story and the issue of Uncanny where the X-Men are trying everything they can to put down the Nimrod/Master Mold amalgamation I have always seen Sentinels as giant mutant death machines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping an eye on the work here.

Will add them all into the Database once you put "COMPLETE" in the title of the thread.

Otherwise I'll just confuse myself as to who has been added and who hasn't as you add new cards.

That Sentinel maybe the toughest Henchmen I've seen. (Other than the joke Celestials...so they don't really count.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
KimmelPrime wrote:
So two bits of news, 1) The set is growing to 380 because we decided to add New Sentinels to the Henchmen Villains. 2)We are bumping back the release on the board to the 30th of September. Something has come up that will keep me from being able to post next weekend. But how about a sneak peak? Here are the "New Sentinels".

Our goal with these was to make the Sentinels a nightmare like they are in the comics. No matter what you do, they keep coming back and each time they toll they extract is greater and greater. We tried to give these Sentinels that feeling.

Just a recommendation. In Legendary you don't have to have it read "first" and "then". It's understood that the actions you take are in the order they printed on the card (unless otherwise stated). Also, usually you have the option of KOing a card from your discard pile as well. When it states "one of your heroes" I believe that it targets just heroes in your hand and that you've played. This may be your intent though. My recommendation for how it would read is:

"Fight: KO one of your heroes or a hero from your discard pile for each New Sentinel in your victory pile.

Faithful Resurrection"

I would also think that this card would lead to too much KOing resulting in a game that is too difficult. I don't mind a difficult game, but these Sentinels could be grueling. Especially if playing with smaller amount of players. Have you play tested it at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think right now they are too OP. If you were playing solo, there would only be three in the deck, so I don't suppose it would result in KOing an exorbitantly large number of your Hero cards.

It would be worst in a two player game as, assuming you split up the kills, each player would be KOing (at minimum) 15 cards from their deck by the end. For larger player counts you could split them up more evenly to prevent KOing that many cards.

Right now Mandroids are by far the toughest Henchman group, where they get +1 attack for each Mandroid in your victory pile. These guys just relentlessly thin your deck to the point where you can't catch back up.

Since the Fateful Resurrection happens AFTER you've done the KOing, I can't imagine the expletives I would shout at my table if I had to KO 4 or 5 cards from my hand at the same time only to find out that the Sentinel would immediately re-enter the city causing me to have to KO another 4-5 cards the next time I fought him.

EDIT: I think giving them the same ability as the Mandroids along with Fateful Resurrection would convey the same amounts of frustration while still being difficult but not impossible. So instead of KOing 15-20 cards from your hand, you have a boatload of 8-10 attack villains to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
Yes they have been play tested for the last month by multiple different people. They are very rough I agree, but they never felt like they broke the game. We played with groups of 2, 3 and 4, though never with 5. With 2 and 3 there was a lot of teamwork on when to take them out. A common tactic was to leave them if you could and then hit them a turn or 3 after a Master Strike or Scheme Twist. And to keep it all fair we used Base game Heroes vs Custom Villains for play tests and vice versa with the Custom Heroes and Base game Villains.

I will say our basis of deciding if a game is balanced may not be everyone elses. We feel that the game should come down to the last couple of cards in the Villain Deck whether you win or lose (unless you get screwed by Scheme Twists in the Evil Wins on X Twist).

As far as the wording, you are right, I actually loaded the wrong file. This is the one we used for play testing. We used a lot more description on the steps on the test cards for people who haven't played Legendary much or at all. I know that's kinda lame, but it saved time answering a bunch of questions. Looking at it I realize I really did put the wrong one up, since the final version had you KOing a Hero from your hand or discard pile for each Sentinel in your KO Pile. Not a massive change I know, but a significant one. I can upload the final version later in the week when I get home.

Wanted to add, just so you guys don't think I am just blowing smoke, we play around making games all the time for fun and have people play test them all the time. We just have never had the guts to put it out there to others. Only reason I decided to share this with all of you is because of all the respect I have for all the variants that have been put up here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what do you do when you play with the New Sentinels on a Scheme that relies on X Heroes in the KO pile? Just pray that they don't come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
What do you do when you play with a Scheme that does the same and you play with Multiple Man from the Villains set who we got the mechanic from and then just added Fateful Resurrection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
So what do you do when you play with the New Sentinels on a Scheme that relies on X Heroes in the KO pile? Just pray that they don't come out?

There is usually some "Scheme & Villain" or "Scheme & Hero" combo that can make things far more difficult. Like Thanos or Corvius with a Scheme that doesn't want KO'd Bystanders (I think it's the Nitro scheme?). Either you try to overcome the difficulty, or swap them out for someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
My response came off snarky and I apologize for that. But I will say this, we put a ton of time and effort into this. We worked for a long time on all of these, and I hope you will be able to tell that when we finish putting them together. (We are still finding a couple pieces of art when we made the practice cards we didn't have any pictures on them, save on ink lol). In saying that though, I am sorry if you don't like the Sentinels or if you don't like the rest of this set or the other sets we are going to do. But I am quite sure there are probably cards from Upper Deck that you don't like. The great thing is, this is a custom, in the end it means nothing, its fan art and if you don't like it, or if it doesn't bring you any enjoyment then you don't have to use them. In the end the New Sentinels (or Omega Sentinels as they were called for the DOFP Storyline) are 1 of set over 8 Henchmen Villains we have created for these 3 sets. In the end we will also have 20 Villains groups, 20 Masterminds, 40 Heroes, 24 Schemes, 11 different Bystanders and a set of Sidekicks. I hope that in all of that you will find something in all of it that you do like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KimmelPrime wrote:
What do you do when you play with a Scheme that does the same and you play with Multiple Man from the Villains set who we got the mechanic from and then just added Fateful Resurrection?

I do not own Villains and have never played against Multiple Man. Technically, I have never played with ANY of the Villains or Fear Itself content. So if mechanics are spurned from those (such as this), I wouldn't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
The mechanic was born from Multiple Man, where you have to KO a card for every Multiple Man in your KO pile. It is a major pain, and to be completely upfront and honest the whole idea came from using Multiple Man as the Army of Annihilation in the Annihilation Scheme. Which let me tell you, makes the Fateful Resurrection gimmick seem tame by comparisons, esp when you have the base Sentinels out there in the game itself, it becomes an absolute massacre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KimmelPrime wrote:
My response came off snarky and I apologize for that. But I will say this, we put a ton of time and effort into this. We worked for a long time on all of these, and I hope you will be able to tell that when we finish putting them together. (We are still finding a couple pieces of art when we made the practice cards we didn't have any pictures on them, save on ink lol). In saying that though, I am sorry if you don't like the Sentinels or if you don't like the rest of this set or the other sets we are going to do. But I am quite sure there are probably cards from Upper Deck that you don't like. The great thing is, this is a custom, in the end it means nothing, its fan art and if you don't like it, or if it doesn't bring you any enjoyment then you don't have to use them. In the end the New Sentinels (or Omega Sentinels as they were called for the DOFP Storyline) are 1 of set over 8 Henchmen Villains we have created for these 3 sets. In the end we will also have 20 Villains groups, 20 Masterminds, 40 Heroes, 24 Schemes, 11 different Bystanders and a set of Sidekicks. I hope that in all of that you will find something in all of it that you do like.

Meh, I have thick skin. I've certainly been called worse.

And I didn't say I didn't like the custom. I just said I thought they were OP. 80s and 90s X-Men are what I grew up on, so I will quite likely try out everything - I've printed a ton of custom cards on Printer Studio and ArtsCow and hope to do the same with this expansion.

I made a custom Graydon Creed Mastermind on here leading a Friends of Humanity Henchman group. That combo is possibly worse and more OP than your Sentinels, as his Strike mimicked the Organized Crime Wave Scheme and each Henchman got +1 attack for others in the city. I am a glutton for punishment at times - plus 99% of my Legendary gaming is done solo, so that effectively nerfs the Sentinels anyway (unless there's a Scheme requiring all 10 to be used no matter the player count).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
From the sounds of it, after what you did with Creed, I think you are going to at least be intrigued by what we did with Reverend Stryker and the Purifiers for Volume 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
KimmelPrime wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of liking things or not. It just seems like overkill on this henchman. This was feedback from the community. You are free to take it or leave it. There's nothing personal. I'm sure you 500 other cards will be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The New (Omega) Sentinels' power surprised me, too, but then I thought of that one story I read that had Sentinels in it and realized that when Sentinels show up, they're a big deal.

In that story, two or three sentinels lay waste to the Reavers, reduce the X-Men to trying to keep themselves alive when they outnumber the sentinels two to one and try to protect some mutants Emma Frost was trying to turn into a team, but they fail utterly.

Admittedly, these were buff sentinels (in particular, they could repair themselves) but the feeling was very much that the X-Men put everything they had on the table to merely stay alive. That corresponds nicely to what we see here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmel Prime

North Carolina
msg tools
A few last minute changes had us mixing a couple of things up, like taking out the Starjammers for reasons I explain in the edited opening post. But be that as it may, here is the first set! We really, really hope if you don't enjoy all of it you will find something within it that you do. It was a true labor of love rereading all the books, combing through the pages for the right art and then going back again and again when it didn't exactly work right. If nothing else, all the fun we had play testing these for the last few months has made it well worth the effort. Now we start on Volume 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Holland
msg tools
Re: X-Men: Children of the Atom Volume 1 (370 Card set) Complete!
So freaking amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.